Someone baby step me on this music thing...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    OK so I have tried the limewire thing, 2hrs of spy-bot later we are back to par.

So I have seen words like torret, file sharing, ext.

What is safe to use to get music?
    What is 100% legal?

If you have any suggestion please baby step me what links to download and extra files or lists to DL also.

I have the ability to use I tunes...maybe I should just stick with that?!?

Thanks, RNM

HD_darla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    I'd just stick with I tunes cause then you KNOW its legal and they generally have the best quality any ways

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    iTunes and Amazon are both legal. Amazon even has a free section. iTunes offers freebies every week, too. I posted a "Free Music" thread sometime back for Amazon that will get you to the free stuff. Amazon requires you to download a piece of downloader software. It's small and works well and it works with iTunes Player.

I will guess you're working with Windows, since that's often the case. So, to download torrents you need a downloader software like Bittorrent or uTorrent. Then you just need to find a site that hosts torrents, like Piratebay.org, kickasstorrents or Torrentfeakz. There's loads of sites out there. It's not a bad way to find music you already own or that's out of print. But it's not strictly legal.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I will guess you're working with Windows, since that's often the case. So, to download torrents you need a downloader software like Bittorrent or uTorrent. Then you just need to find a site that hosts torrents, like Piratebay.org, kickasstorrents or Torrentfeakz. There's loads of sites out there. It's not a bad way to find music you already own or that's out of print. But it's not strictly legal.

Bittorrent itself is perfectly legal. The material you download with it may or may not be pirated, depending on the license associated with its release. For example, Linux is a free operating system that is distributed via bittorrent. That's legal. Windows is not a free operating system that also happens to be distributed via bittorrent. That is NOT legal. It all depends on what you're downloading and where you're downloading it from.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Depending on what kind of music you like to listen to, check out some independent labels. Some offer full length songs for free to boost interest in up and comers or hopefuls.

Otherwise this search engine digs up locations on sites and blogs. I don't know of the legality of the links it send you to. I'd say 50/50.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Amazon- get your music there because no DRM! (Digital Rights Management)

From Amazon you can play it on any device you have, or will have in the future. I use iTunes to sync, but NOT to buy music.

Trading music via limewire or bitTorrent is usually illegal, unless the tune is specifically stated by the copyright owner to be for distribution.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You can get non-DRM'ed music from iTunes now, but it's generally more expensive ($1.29, I think). On the other hand, it's also encoded in lossless AAC format, so there's some benefit there over Amazon. I just stick with Amazon. I can't really tell the difference in quality.

The other thing you can do is stream music using something like Pandora or Last.fm. If you don't plan on going mobile, this might be a better option for you.

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    The 100% legal way is to buy the CD. If you want to check an artist out before you buy their music search for them on youtube. They wont always have music video's , but people like to upload the songs with pictures. If you want a not 100% legal way we can take it to PM's.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The 100% legal way is to buy the CD. If you want to check an artist out before you buy their music search for them on youtube. They wont always have music video's , but people like to upload the songs with pictures. If you want a not 100% legal way we can take it to PM's.
    It's 100% legal to download music from iTunes or Amazon. And it costs less than a CD. They also offer 30 second clips of all songs. CD's are the new vinyl. You can also buy just the songs you want and leave the not so good ones behind.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    You might also check to see if the artists have their own website where they sell music directly. As a writer, I'm a big believer in that creative folk deserve to be paid for their work and intellectual property, but I'm not a big fan of the big record labels (and RIAA is evil, evil, evil). Buying direct from the artist where possible is how I deal with that.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    Amazon mp3 is the way to go. no drm, good quality, lower prices, free section with hundreds of songs, fast downloads, legal, easy....

Maybe its just because I work for them (did any one else notice their stock prices today :) )

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    It's 100% legal to download music from iTunes or Amazon. And it costs less than a CD. They also offer 30 second clips of all songs. CD's are the new vinyl. You can also buy just the songs you want and leave the not so good ones behind.

Bad thing about iTunes is that you can only download the song once to one computer. So if you don't have a way to transfer music you're sol. That's the reason I prefer CD's. Point taken though.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Bad thing about iTunes is that you can only download the song once to one computer. So if you don't have a way to transfer music you're sol. That's the reason I prefer CD's. Point taken though.

Actually you can license your song for up to 5 computers, and when you hit that limit you can wipe them all and start over. I have the same music from the same iTunes account that I bought several years and several computers ago, and my wife has access to my entire library via the home sharing feature.

Top Bottom