• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    or range étiquette. While at Izaak Walton today with my sons, I witnessed the worst safety violation since I have been into guns.

I was all the way to the right so my back was to the other people there. There was one man shooting a few spots behind, and another couple just pulled up. I had just finished a mag and was getting ready to reload when I hear, "Woh, woh, woh!!" from the guy directly behind me. I turn around and the guy from the couple just walked right out onto the range to place his target without letting anyone know! :xmad:

The guy behind me yells at him to let us know! He kinda gives a, my bad wave, and proceeds. I keep an eye for a bit and see him fumbling around with his gun, obviously not sure how it works. I looked at my boys and packed up and left!

Good thing we were about done too! Some people have no common sense at all. And a complete lack of regard for the :rules:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Another reason I want a private range, glad to here you and ur boys werent hurt. Its bad enough when you have to take care of yourself, but to have to make sure everyone else is doing what they are suppose to is a bit much.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    There really are too many people that do not understand firearm safety. Very glad nothing worse happened and you and the boys got out of there! I have had to do a quick pack and run on more than one occasion there myself :runaway:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Most people aren't "stupid". They just don't realize that they need to think about everything they do. People need to be trained. I think all ranges should require everyone to go through a basic common sense/safety class and if they pass they are issued a card. No one should be allowed onto a live public (or private range) without showing their card. I'm sure some will strongly disagree with this idea but in USPSA competition everyone is checked out before they're allowed to shoot. It prevents stuff like the OP saw from happening. Just letting anyone step to a line with firearms would be like going to a motorcycle dealership and taking a new bike out when they have never ridden before and don't even have a motorcycle endorsement on their license.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    Lord you just can fix stupid! I've notice way more carelessness at Izaak Walton than I ever have at Roush!

See what you missed out on!! You should have tagged along and maybe we coulda set the poor fella straight! If I wasn't with my boys I would have said something. It was just easier to leave!

It sucks too, I really like shooting there.

jdg0724

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Plainfield
    or range étiquette. While at Izaak Walton today with my sons, I witnessed the worst safety violation since I have been into guns.

I was all the way to the right so my back was to the other people there. There was one man shooting a few spots behind, and another couple just pulled up. I had just finished a mag and was getting ready to reload when I hear, "Woh, woh, woh!!" from the guy directly behind me. I turn around and the guy from the couple just walked right out onto the range to place his target without letting anyone know! :xmad:

The guy behind me yells at him to let us know! He kinda gives a, my bad wave, and proceeds. I keep an eye for a bit and see him fumbling around with his gun, obviously not sure how it works. I looked at my boys and packed up and left!

Good thing we were about done too! Some people have no common sense at all. And a complete lack of regard for the :rules:
    That is one of the scariest things about going to the range. I had a similar experience at Attebury not too long ago when I was shooting with my son. It does make you very nervous. Sometimes i think it should be mandatory to undergo some kind of basic firearm safety training before you can shoot a range around other people or even carry a gun for that matter.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Most people aren't "stupid". They just don't realize that they need to think about everything they do. People need to be trained. I think all ranges should require everyone to go through a basic common sense/safety class and if they pass they are issued a card. No one should be allowed onto a live public (or private range) without showing their card. I'm sure some will strongly disagree with this idea but in USPSA competition everyone is checked out before they're allowed to shoot. It prevents stuff like the OP saw from happening. Just letting anyone step to a line with firearms would be like going to a motorcycle dealership and taking a new bike out when they have never ridden before and don't even have a motorcycle endorsement on their license.

I agree with this post more than anything else in this thread. If he seemed that uncomfortable around his own firearms he was obviously inexperienced and needed coaching. Perhaps OP could have offered some pointers?

Most here will likely be against the "Proove yourself before you're allowed to handle a gun" thing though, and will deploy the "Unlimited access to all guns for everyone" mantra.

I'd almost rather encounter a criminal with a gun than a stupid person with a gun. At least I know with the criminal he has bad intentions and I should defend myself. It's hard to defend against the guy standing beside you.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Lord you just can fix stupid! I've notice way more carelessness at Izaak Walton than I ever have at Roush!

I agree 100%. The inconvenience of not being able to shoot due to some "outing" and the lack of safety are the reasons I will not renew my membership there again. I'd rather drive to Roush and shoot safe. Izaak Walton is closer but not worth the risk.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Isaak Walton and roush should be pretty close to the same distance from fort Wayne.

I live in Huntington and NEVER see anyone at IWL. Occasionally see a sign about a skeet shoot, but I never see people there or hear shots fired.

What do they charge? Roush is what, 80 bucks for a year?

There's also a range in Roanoke (more expensive) but they have at least a 600yd rifle range. Hillside shooting sports I believe.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Isaak Walton and roush should be pretty close to the same distance from fort Wayne.

Just depends where at you are located in Ft. Wayne. If you live on the North side IWL is much closer than Roush. From where I live they are fairly close to the same distance.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    There are a lot of people buying guns for the first time and unfortunately, some are totally clueless regarding safety. While I am generally forgiving of inexperience, an act like that is hard to look past. I've seen the same thing down at Atterbury and all I can think is that there are some folks that get so far outside of their comfort zones, their mind stops working properly.

What I don't understand is the lack of research some folks do. When I am in a situation that is new to me, I will usually take my time getting started so I can see how things work. Or, if it's not obvious, I'll ask before assuming. The net is full of info that can be helpful if you are starting a new hobby.

The thing that I get from these situations is how badly the anti-gun people have impacted our culture. For someone that has never owned a gun, never been to a range, doesn't know anyone who owns a gun but wants to be able to defend his family, they have no basic info to work from. Most of us were brought up around guns and someone taught us how to be safe. We are now doing that with our kids and with friends that are new to shooting. But, for some, they just go buy a gun and try to wing it because the anti gun crowd has prevented any useful information from being publically broadcast. When was the last time anyone saw a public service message concerning the 4 rules of gun safety.

I am happy that we have ever larger numbers of people getting into shooting, but really wish there was some sort of public service messages broadcast to give a basic level of info to those that are not smart enough to seek it out themselves.

braz007

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Wow, that is scary. Everyone at IWL is supposed to undergo a safety briefing with Zach (the live in groundskeeper) before they can use the range, the first time. This is apparently not sufficient or Zach is not doing a good job.

I saw the IWL president at the range when I was sighting my slug gun in for tomorrow. I will be sure to bring it up to him when I see him again.

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesnt there have to be an RSO on site to shoot at roush? Maybe that is what we need at IWL.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Evanlee11
    Top Bottom