• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    today hubby and i went to a gun show. i am not one of those feminist types that thinks everyone is discriminating against me, but i did notice being ignored, and then one guy assumed that i had never shot, and was showing me stupid guns, and saying that hubby should show me, and then i should practice so i don't forget how to shoot. :rolleyes: We normally go shooting at least twice a month.
    Then went to a shop, and one guy tried to interest me in a .32, and told me it was a "sissy gun", and women like it because it has less kick. Looked him in the eye and said i have a .38 and a 9mm, i don't want a sissy gun.
    Now, this is not about all guys in general, when i bought my Glock, the guy was ex-military and shorter than me. He was very helpful and did not assume anything. i was very comfortable buying a gun from someone who was experienced and similar in stature.
    Anyhow, if anyone has any input, i am looking for a very concealable gun, probably a .380. I have a Charter Arms .38 Revolver 2", and a Glock 26, but both are kinda bulky at times on my small frame. I prefer the bigger guns, but there are times when i'd be more likely to CC if i had a smaller gun. Needs to be reliable, that is my #1 priority. I have a few in mind. :n00b:

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Hey, whaddyaknow? Sexism is alive and kicking. Sexist, unhelpful people trying to unload bad guns on people they regard as victims? I'd never believe it!

Da Bing

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    LOL. That would be funny. I love when people assume things and are proven wrong.
    I work in shipping. One day, a very large extended cab semi was backing into our small dock. The guys were looking out the window and saying stuff like "that guy knows what he's doing". After the truck was parked in the dock, out jumped a short, stocky, middle-aged woman. :rockwoot:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Definitely a lot of guys don't comprehend that females and firearms go together quite nicely. I was helping a dealer friend a few years ago with my daughter, who even then at about age 15 knew her way around firearms like most guys know how to make a fool of themselves.

I was helping another customer when a guy asked my daughter if she could get her father to show him a Kimber. She looked at me, and I winked at her, and she then proceeded to disassemble the pistol and asked the guy if there was a particular part he wanted to see. The look on his face was priceless. Daughter then put the pistol back together and handed it to him.

Eventually more males will realize that firearms don't care about the sex of the person that is holding them.

As to a recommendation, I am not a big guy, tipping the scales at 130 or so and carry a Kahr PM9 as my constant companion. I have run probably near 2000 rounds through it by now and it has been just like a personal protection pistol should be, perfect. Kahr now makes a less expensive version, the CM9 which I highly recommend.

By the way, my daughter carries a Sig P239 or Taurus Millennium Pro depending on her mood. :D

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    I've noticed I get ignored at gun shows/shops also. Up until recently, I really never cared. NOW, I do. Currently I have a keltec P3AT and it suits me perfectly for everyday carry. Your experience at the shop would have really pushed my buttons. Where is it at? I'm guessing they figured you didn't know anything about it, or, quite possibly they were trying to goad you into buying the biggest, baddest gun in the place. Personally, I wouldn't give them any of my business.
    And awesome on the female semi driver. I LOVE seeing that. If it wouldn't keep me away from home, I'd probably get into driving my own rig.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Definitely a lot of guys don't comprehend that females and firearms go together quite nicely. I was helping a dealer friend a few years ago with my daughter, who even then at about age 15 knew her way around firearms like most guys know how to make a fool of themselves.

I was helping another customer when a guy asked my daughter if she could get her father to show him a Kimber. She looked at me, and I winked at her, and she then proceeded to disassemble the pistol and asked the guy if there was a particular part he wanted to see. The look on his face was priceless. Daughter then put the pistol back together and handed it to him.

Eventually more males will realize that firearms don't care about the sex of the person that is holding them.

As to a recommendation, I am not a big guy, tipping the scales at 130 or so and carry a Kahr PM9 as my constant companion. I have run probably near 2000 rounds through it by now and it has been just like a personal protection pistol should be, perfect. Kahr now makes a less expensive version, the CM9 which I highly recommend.

By the way, my daughter carries a Sig P239 or Taurus Millennium Pro depending on her mood. :D

The Kahr is on my short list too!
    I liked one of the sellers at the gun show, he and his wife both shoot and go deer hunting.
    Thanks!

jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    I have both the Kahr PM9 and the LCP. The LCP gets carried more often because it is so small it is close to invisible and comfortable to carry, that said the PM9 is a much better pistol. It has real sights and a good trigger. I have ordered a mini tuck for it and hope to carry the Kahr more in the future.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    today hubby and i went to a gun show. i am not one of those feminist types that thinks everyone is discriminating against me, but i did notice being ignored, and then one guy assumed that i had never shot, and was showing me stupid guns, and saying that hubby should show me, and then i should practice so i don't forget how to shoot. :rolleyes: We normally go shooting at least twice a month.
    Then went to a shop, and one guy tried to interest me in a .32, and told me it was a "sissy gun", and women like it because it has less kick. Looked him in the eye and said i have a .38 and a 9mm, i don't want a sissy gun.
    Now, this is not about all guys in general, when i bought my Glock, the guy was ex-military and shorter than me. He was very helpful and did not assume anything. i was very comfortable buying a gun from someone who was experienced and similar in stature.
    Anyhow, if anyone has any input, i am looking for a very concealable gun, probably a .380. I have a Charter Arms .38 Revolver 2", and a Glock 26, but both are kinda bulky at times on my small frame. I prefer the bigger guns, but there are times when i'd be more likely to CC if i had a smaller gun. Needs to be reliable, that is my #1 priority. I have a few in mind. :n00b:

Stop by Tomlinsons in Cherubusco... the lady who works there carries a 1911. You'll like her.

Tomlinsons Shooting Supplies INC

cornfused

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    out east
    Kahr is worth the extra money.

P380 Very small and concealable but a great little gun, love the trigger and people say they have less percieved recoil than the LCP or Diamondback ect.

CW9 medium sized but a good gun. Next on the wife's want list..... the new CM9. Smaller than the CW9 but still 9mm.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    You've got lots of choices. The P3AT seems to make it's owners pretty happy. The SIG P238 is probably worth a look; or you could pick up it's spiritual predecessor, the Colt Mustang - I believe there is one for sale here in the forum in fact. And of course the Kahr which has been mentioned.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Ruger LCP

DSC03239.jpg

Kahr PM9

Kahr-Pm9-in-hand.jpg

I have both and recommend them all the way. I would would say spend the extra money for the better brand 9mm all day long but, just can't see spending that kind of money on a .380. I have no problems with my Ruger at all.

Here are a couple of links for easy research:

Karh PM9 Black w/ Night Sight (the one I offered to sell you in rep comment)

Standard PM9 - a little cheaper

The new CM9 - even cheaper yet

*Note the MSRP on this website is a little high on all of them. I would suggest checking Guns - Online Gun Auction - Guns for Sale at GunBroker.com or Guns for Sale, Gun Classifieds, Gun Auctions, Shop for Guns at GunsAmerica and trying to see what they really go for.

If you are dead set on the .380, I would strongly recommend the Ruger LCR though. They are only a little more money than the P3AT and they are a far better pistol (in my opinion and experience).

Either way, best of luck in choosing a new pistol :draw:

Last edited:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    my wife is TINY....and she wears rather tight clothes..we searched, and searched...tried out dozens of guns and finally found the perfect on... she has fallen in LOVE with Kahr's....they are relatively small (concealable, great for smaller hands), and come in just about every major caliber (9mm,.40,.45, I'm not positive on the 380 though)...but she carrys it everywhere and you CANNOT see it what so ever......the one we bought for her is a 9mm, but with an ALL steel frame..so it helps a little bit more with the felt recoil as well....great guns, I know places like Bradis have them, but I don't know if they have any of the all steel models though....worth taking a look at them

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    i am looking for a very concealable gun, probably a .380. I have a Charter Arms .38 Revolver 2", and a Glock 26, but both are kinda bulky at times on my small frame. I prefer the bigger guns, but there are times when i'd be more likely to CC if i had a smaller gun. Needs to be reliable, that is my #1 priority. I have a few in mind. :n00b:

Cindy, have you looked at the Taurus Slim line?

I have the PT709 Slim and to me it is a very concealable 9mm (7+1), plus it is also sold in the .40 (6+1).

Also as a little note, while it is a striker fired pistol, it is a DA/SA pistol.

When I'm not carrying my fullsize 9mm, I'll sneak the 709 out and about with me.

PT-709 Slim

709SS_2.jpg

PT-740 Slim
    740SS_02.jpg

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    I'm not sure how small of frame you are or how concealable you want to be, but have you thought about trying different holsters with your Glock26? That's what I carry and depending on the holster it virtually disappears. If you're interested I can tell you more about my holsters, but don't want to thread jack from your OP.

Also if you are getting sexist treatment at gun stores, you need to go to a different store. I have been in a number of them and there are a few I won't go back in because I was ignored. My money is just as good as a mans, so I don't understand why they wouldn't want to sell to me.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011

Some people recommended the Ruger LCP, but the Ruger LC9, which is only slightly larger, is easier to shoot (sights, less recoil) and chambers a larger caliber (9mm). It's comparable in size to Kahr PM/CM9 and the Kel-tec. Beretta is also coming out with a similar single-stack mini-9.

The Kimber Solo may be worth a look.

I have reservations about buying Kahr on account of their connection to Sun Myung Moon's Unification Church. I don't wish to impose my personal politics on you, but if you're curious you might want to google this organization and the word "cult".

Da Bing

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Just one thing to add that I should have posted earlier, no matter what we suggest, it is ultimately what you decide to carry and what fits you best, not what we suggest.

I know there should me plenty of INGO members who have what you might be considering, and I think they would be more than welcome to let you do a "try before you buy" test to see what you would prefer the most, all you need to do is ask. :ingo:

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    I can vouch for the reliability of the lap but I don't like carrying a gun in my pocket without a safety...I am currently paying on a bodyguard 380....gonna try it out...don't like the keltec pf9....I like Walther and versa in 380 but not a lot of trigger time to say they are reliable....if money was no object I would have both the sigs in 380....I am with u on the glock 26....I carry it everywhere but unchambered so it is less effective (when in my pocket)....I decided on the bodyguard because of the stiff safety and the laser is not a bad feature...

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Sorry about your experience...some learn...some don't!

My wife's standard carry is a Gen 2 Glock 19 (she has long fingers and a very narrow hand)...which I helped her find. She loves it b/c she doesn't have to force her hands to fit a pre-spaced grip.

She's comfortable picking up my 4" Ruger GP100 in .357 mag. and shooting 158 grain JHP's through it...she's fairly accurate with it as well!

She thoroughly enjoys shooting my Ruger SP101 in .22lr...she's free to shoot it any time she wants!

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    While I can't apologize for other peoples' lack of respect for ther fairer sex when it come to guns, I will empathize. My fiancé has had some of the same problems. What I love doing when that happens looking at the sales person and saying "Its her money, her decision, and now YOU have to please her!" They usually get the hint. :D

As far as a smallish .380 that is fun to shoot and easily concealed, we have a Walther PK380. Honestly, I shoot it more than she does (she's likes her XD9SC)
    The one caveat to it that I can identify is it's not forgiving of limp wristing. Every time I take it's size for granted and loosen up a bit, I get FTE's. This may because it's still fairly new and not quite broken in yet, or it may be me.
    We've only got a few hundred rounds through it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom