• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Bored so I thought I would post some pics of some of the custom guns I built in the past, excuse the pictures I have a much better camera now.

Colt 1991
    IMG_1959.jpg

Sig P225
    IMG_1928.jpg

Kahr K9
    IMG_2603.jpg

IMG_2602.jpg

Colt 1991 (different one)
    IMG_1404.jpg

Springfield 1911
    IMG_1053.jpg

Caspian/Wilson Combat
    IMG_0765.jpg

IMG_0764.jpg

Browning Hi-Power
    IMG_0590.jpg

Another BHP
    HP1911001-1.jpg

Springfield Compact 1911
    IMG_0471.jpg

Current Project SPFD 1911
    HP1911003.jpg

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Thanks, I don't do it professionaly anymore but did for about ten years up in MI the market was pretty good up there for it and I had a pretty good local following of repeat customers.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Thanks, that wilson frame surprised me a bit when I got it. It wasn't finished nearly to the extent that a caspian frame is. The whole thing was still full of machine marks, it took me forever to sand/file all those out but in the end turned out pretty good, very accurate (that barrel is a nighthawk tactical barrel).

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    can you elaborate on what exactly you built? i have a caspian frame and slide to be delivered tomorrow and am looking for some ideas as i dont know which direction i want to take it yet.

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    What's the deal with being "reped", I appreciate it but don't really know the story/reason behind it.

Reps show people that you are reputable, and generally are more important when considering FTF (Face To Face) transfer. For example, if I want to buy a gun from John Smith, if I see he has several negative reps for ripping people off, I won't do the deal. However, it also works vice-versa.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Reps show people that you are reputable, and generally are more important when considering FTF (Face To Face) transfer. For example, if I want to buy a gun from John Smith, if I see he has several negative reps for ripping people off, I won't do the deal. However, it also works vice-versa.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    can you elaborate on what exactly you built? i have a caspian frame and slide to be delivered tomorrow and am looking for some ideas as i dont know which direction i want to take it yet.

Helly IGW, you will be happy with your caspian components. Did you order any frame/slide options already? Do you have a mill?

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Also the rep system shows that people like your posts. The symbol next to the online/offline tab shows how much rep you have. People with many bars/badges have gotten alot of rep for people who like/agree with their posts.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Helly IGW, you will be happy with your caspian components. Did you order any frame/slide options already? Do you have a mill?

i have access to a mill anytime.... but i ordered a serrated top slide and a plain frame... i am probably going to checker the frontstrap... then i am thinking about having indygunworks engraved on one side, and to keep and bear arms on the other... then i would inlay them myself w/ 23 karat gold... high polished sides and matte topstrap and bottom strap... probably a rust blue over a hot blue although i can do either.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    i have access to a mill anytime.... but i ordered a serrated top slide and a plain frame... i am probably going to checker the frontstrap... then i am thinking about having indygunworks engraved on one side, and to keep and bear arms on the other... then i would inlay them myself w/ 23 karat gold... high polished sides and matte topstrap and bottom strap... probably a rust blue over a hot blue although i can do either.

Sounds good so far, with Caspian it always pays to have whatever machining options you can get done by them. They don't charge much at all for things like sight cuts or top of slide serrations and then you don't have to worry about anything going wrong if you can help it. If you have access to a big mill it helps. The one I had to use was basically a benchtop model and I was always sweating it when I had to mill sights or whatever. What you may want to do is get set up with EGW or innovative custom (used to work with EGW) as they offer "dealer" services for things like machining. The rates were usually so cheap for things like sight cuts that it wasn't worth it for me to even set my mill up, plus their stuff is CNC and spot on. Have you decided on sight options yet or did you get those pre-done, beavertail, what ignition system? 1911 projects always get me going, good luck if you need anything let me know as I still have all my tooling.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    i might need some tooling... most notibly is a lug cutter, but i might just pony up as my business is still young and there is a good chance i will be installing more barrels in the future....
    no clue on fireing system, although i am thinking hardened sti parts right now... wolf 3 leaf... and 18 pound main.
    the slide did come w/ novak cuts which i am not a fan of, but i only paid 248 bucks shipped for the frame and the slide (foster frame)(might as well be caspian)
    thinking of some sort of match barrel, not sure if i want to go w/ a bull barrel and bushingless design yet or not... i do want to try and build a really accurate gun w/ some sort of adjustable sights.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    i might need some tooling... most notibly is a lug cutter, but i might just pony up as my business is still young and there is a good chance i will be installing more barrels in the future....
    no clue on fireing system, although i am thinking hardened sti parts right now... wolf 3 leaf... and 18 pound main.
    the slide did come w/ novak cuts which i am not a fan of, but i only paid 248 bucks shipped for the frame and the slide (foster frame)(might as well be caspian)
    thinking of some sort of match barrel, not sure if i want to go w/ a bull barrel and bushingless design yet or not... i do want to try and build a really accurate gun w/ some sort of adjustable sights.

The novak cut is a good choice as it allows you to use a variety of sights such as novak, heinie, 10-8 and others. Good price on those components, you can't beat the foster deals. If you don't want to get a cutter yet you can use a Kart E-Z fit barrel, they work well. If you are going to invest in a cutter and you have access to a mill you might want to consider the Weigand fixture, this is a little more pricey but worth it. The conventional lug cutters require a lot of finishing of the barrel lugs after the cut is made, with the Weigand there is very little final finishing needed. See here:
    WEIGAND COMBAT : 1911 AUTO BARREL FITTING FIXTURE - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

If you would like to try it you can borrow mine and it comes with pretty detailed instructions.

Top Bottom