• ...and so much more!
  • mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    This.

I only wish there were some kind of realistic, stress-inducing, yet non-lethal way to train for these situations. Like something that would put you in different scenarios and force you to make snap decisions under pressure that could later be discussed and evaluated to determine what could have been done differently to influence a more positive outcome...

If only...
    biggrin.gif

I see what you did there, and I applaud you, chezuki. esrice is cool too, I guess... :):

dmonsche

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2013
    I'd definitely report it. If I need draw it's a serious situation and needs to be reported.

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    This.

I only wish there were some kind of realistic, stress-inducing, yet non-lethal way to train for these situations. Like something that would put you in different scenarios and force you to make snap decisions under pressure that could later be discussed and evaluated to determine what could have been done differently to influence a more positive outcome...

If only...
    biggrin.gif
    I used to play paintball a lot. I learned to to watch everything and not stay focused on just one person, as well as be ready for anything. Of course I tried a few suicide runs and hit every time.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've been in a few situations where I believed I would need my gun immediately (twice I was in a vehicle) and the gun was out of the holster, that later turned out to be a non-threat. Fortunately I never had to orient the muzzle toward the threat. I've been in a few (the most recent a few weeks ago in a parking lot leaving the movies) where I had my hand in a firing grip, but no one who was not educated would have perceived what I was really doing. The difference was time and distance. The more I had, the more likely I was to keep it in the holster.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    As stated earlier no actual brandishing statute for Indiana.
    Here's an example of when it's legal. not an actual scenario although Guy told us
    if they are stealing your car for example

IC 35-41-3-3
    Use of force relating to arrest or escape
    **** Sec. 3. (a) A person other than a law enforcement officer is justified in using reasonable force against another person to effect an arrest or prevent the other person's escape if:
    ********(1) a felony has been committed; and
    ********(2) there is probable cause to believe the other person committed that felony.
    However, such a person is not justified in using deadly force unless that force is justified under section 2 of this chapter.
    Hopefully this helps
    Fell free to elaborate etc

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    As stated earlier no actual brandishing statute for Indiana.
    Here's an example of when it's legal. not an actual scenario although Guy told us
    if they are stealing your car for example

IC 35-41-3-3
    Use of force relating to arrest or escape
    **** Sec. 3. (a) A person other than a law enforcement officer is justified in using reasonable force against another person to effect an arrest or prevent the other person's escape if:
    ********(1) a felony has been committed; and
    ********(2) there is probable cause to believe the other person committed that felony.
    However, such a person is not justified in using deadly force unless that force is justified under section 2 of this chapter.
    Hopefully this helps
    Fell free to elaborate etc

Guy told you you could use deadly force on someone that was stealing your car?

Glock19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    NE Indianapolis
    If i am serious enough to draw my weapon in fear for my life, something serious has to happen for me to let the guy get away without me shooting them.... If I am drawing my weapon im planning on using it most times...no warning shots, no "FREEZE", im in fear for my life, im not hesitating.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    If i am serious enough to draw my weapon in fear for my life, something serious has to happen for me to let the guy get away without me shooting them.... If I am drawing my weapon im planning on using it most times...no warning shots, no "FREEZE", im in fear for my life, im not hesitating.

That attitude will get you sent to prison, especially if you are "in fear of your life" over your property being stolen. I could have shot the ****stick that tried to steal my truck and come up with some bull**** story about how I thought he was going to kill me as he was running away, but I wasn't about to test the waters.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    How you proceed after you threaten it is up to you.

not asking for you to tell me what to do,but what you would.
    i didn't say i would draw mine either nor, to be perfectly clear Guy didn't recommend it either, he was trying to give example.
    but if i understand the code correctly its not just automatically illegal right?

an example of what i was thinking is when we read in Rifleman or concealed carry magazine about
    self defense situations and it will say they were held at gunpoint until the cops arrived. Assume its IN and
    according to IN code
    do they get in trouble? I've never heard of it happening but not sure.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    not asking for you to tell me what to do,but what you would.
    i didn't say i would draw mine either nor, to be perfectly clear Guy didn't recommend it either, he was trying to give example.
    but if i understand the code correctly its not just automatically illegal right?

an example of what i was thinking is when we read in Rifleman or concealed carry magazine about
    self defense situations and it will say they were held at gunpoint until the cops arrived. Assume its IN and
    according to IN code
    do they get in trouble? I've never heard of it happening but not sure.

How I respond depends on whether I'm on-duty or off-duty. On-duty I have other resources available to me if I am attempting to apprehend someone suspected of a crime. Off-duty I can either act like the police or an average joe citizen, depending on the situation. When the ****stick tried to steal my truck I had my gun at the ready in case he presented a threat to me, but it was put away as soon as he turned tail and ran away.

I've never heard of anyone holding a felon at gunpoint being prosecuted. The INGO lawyers may have examples where it has happened, but I personally have no knowledge of it.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    How I respond depends on whether I'm on-duty or off-duty. On-duty I have other resources available to me if I am attempting to apprehend someone suspected of a crime. Off-duty I can either act like the police or an average joe citizen, depending on the situation. When the ****stick tried to steal my truck I had my gun at the ready in case he presented a threat to me, but it was put away as soon as he turned tail and ran away.

I've never heard of anyone holding a felon at gunpoint being prosecuted. The INGO lawyers may have examples where it has happened, but I personally have no knowledge of it.

makes perfect sense to me. im not going to jail even if they do take my property. i pay for insurance :yesway:
    i may try to keep them in sight if safely possible so i can help LEO's locate them better/faster.
    Thanks for the discussion frankn, thats why im on here... to learn.

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    You have to consider HOW a COMPLAINT is handled... by the police AND by the courts. To draw a weapon and NOT then make a report (as soon as safe and practical) is setting YOU to be the bad guy, not the perp... When a 911 call is received to law enforcement it is logged as the complainant, (ie. victim status) and subsequent calls are going to be considered additional information (Witnesses) or opposing reports (ie. the perp)...

In the case of not calling, let's say two or three witnesses DO call 911, and report the MWAG and your description. If there is no previous or concurrent report from you stating the events, you have now been "Labeled" the BG. (because witnesses are never wrong...)

Even worse then is if the Perp, realizing that you are just going back to business as usual, calls 9-1-1 as well. "This guy pulled a gun on me and was going to rob me" again with your description... End result... enjoy your stay at the local lockup because now it has turned into a your word against his, (AND the Witnesses) and the common thinking is that IF you were in fact in fear for your life, then it would be consistent (and responsible) human behavior to those responding, (and those eventually sitting in a jury box) that a 911 call would be made.

Yes there are a number of caselaw reports where similar type scenarios have not gone well for the Victim... I don't often use unequivocal statements, but if the Gun comes out, You better darn well get something made of record on it or it could be you doing the explaining instead of the BG.

AIAAL IANYL, YMMV...

I

Top Bottom