So you got a handgun and want to get into IDPA, Steel, USPSA ... ect....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    New to shooting sports?
    though each sport has its own set of rules here is some advice that will help you when you first go to a match.

1. assume it is a COLD range, that means the condition of your gun not bring a coat.
    a cold range requires you to have your gun unloaded, no mag in it , & possibly hammer down. You will not get into trouble if you show up and follow this.. If the range allows hot carry it will still be safer for you to have a cleared gun for your first few times out.

2. Know your gun; does it have a safety?, does it have a slide lock.. a hammer drop? a mag safety..
    know how to operate all controls on your gun.. your time & score will be better if you did not spend 10 seconds finding out the safety was on...
    remember when it is your turn you will have lots of people watching you.. you might not think it matters.. but when someone gets in front of a crowd simple tasks can get stressful..

3 know how to reload your gun with the muzzle pointed down range ( towards the targets...)
    I really like to see new shooters come out.. I hate having to kick them out of the match because they pointed the gun back at the crowd while reloading...

4 do not pull your gun out to show someone it...
    do not mess with your gun until it is your time to shoot and Range officer tells you it is ok to take your gun out..
    same as above, your first match will be very short if you take out gun during shooters meeting...

5. Please do not bring the habit of pointing your gun up after each target and while moving... it is an easy way to point muzzle over your shoulder at crowd, or worse a good way to put a bullet into your chin...

6. have an idea how to clear a jam... yes they can be rare.. but i have yet to see a match without at least one of my group getting a jam.. and most happen to a new shooter who does not have any idea of what to do...
    by planning & practicing clearing you will be much safer when the stress of a crowd & clock are there..

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    equipment: you need a gun & ammo as required for the sport..

if you are shooting reloads, or even think they might be reloads.. be sure each shot sounds & feels "right" ... in fast shooting it is very possible to follow a squib load with a full charge one... it is rare, but it is better for the shooter to know it and stop shooting than me having to get you to stop shooting...

bring at least 2 mags or speed loaders... 3 really are needed for most sports but 2 can limp one thru a match..

holsters, be sure you can holster your gun with one and & without having to re
    grip the gun in some way..

there may be many times you have only one hand to re holster your gun.. & make sure you do not have any clothing that gets stuck inside the trigger guard ...
    some of the scariest moments are when i have to get a shooter to stop shoving down on a chambered gun & he has a ball of T-shirt tail stuck in his glock's trigger guard...

make sure your holster keeps gun still.. your performance will be better if the gun is in the same place everytime your hand reaches for it...
    you might not be fast to start with.. but you will not lose time grasping around for the gun...

don't stress out about getting penalties for shooting targets out of order, or stepping over fault lines... if you made it thru your first match without a safety violation you did great..

work on target sequence & game stuff on later matches...
    enjoy the match.. you will probably meet lots of active shooters who will be happy to talk "shop" and can help you get better...

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Good stuff. I'd like to add a few, too.

Contact, if possible, a listed match director or safety officer before hand and let them know you are new to the sport. They will be happy to have a new shooter and it will also give them time to thing of who to put you with in order to help ease you in to the world of action-pistol shooting.

Arrive well before the posted start time so you do have a chance to find and speak with the match director even if you were able to contact them prior to the match. It can also get you an opportunity to talk with a few of the shooters that are there and you may even be able to help set up the courses to earn a few extra brownie points.

Approach this like you want to learn; leave all your preconceived notions about what type of people shoot competitions and just know that they are there for the same reasons as you: to have fun. Not everybody that shoots "competition" is a hard-core freak that laughs at beginners, in fact the opposite is true; nearly every individual I've had the pleasure of shooting with is helpful, courteous, and kind to every shooter that comes along no matter their skill level.

Leave any 'I've been shooting guns for 20 years..." attitude at home. Doing this is very different from most other shooting a great majority of people have done and it all comes to light when the buzzer sounds. An attitude of "I know nothing, so teach me what I need to know." is the proper mindset for shooting this. Don't feel like you have to impress the locals on your first time out.

Remember that everybody has had a 'First Match' and even the vets will get pre-match jitters. Don't sweat it, just go only as fast as you can do so safely. There will be more matches in the future and plenty of range time to practice your skills.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Help out on setup day. Bring a friend too.

yes, helping to set up will let you see some stages and get to ask questions..

also come out and help if you want to keep shooting these sports..
    A lot of work goes on before and after each match.. if newer people do not help and learn what needs to be done the sport will die off because no one is running it..

most clubs do nott make a profit off of a match.. it is just a fun thing to do.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    I used to "speed shoot" at my local shop about 10 years ago. I was very green to the sport, and didn't do very well, but I had a lot of fun. That shop is long gone, but I'd like to get back into shooting sports. INGO definitely helps me find the info I need, and tips to keep me from being a hazard on the range.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I used to "speed shoot" at my local shop about 10 years ago. I was very green to the sport, and didn't do very well, but I had a lot of fun. That shop is long gone, but I'd like to get back into shooting sports. INGO definitely helps me find the info I need, and tips to keep me from being a hazard on the range.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/tactics_and_training/207704-competition_101_warsaw_in.html

Get back into comp and I know a great place to begin.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Is Atlanta Indiana a good place to start for steel challenges?

I'm going to a beginners course at ACC Saturday. It is the closest thing to Noblesville that I know of, plus it doesn't start until noon, which is right up my alley. I've shot over 500 rounds in my new m&p and PPQ between yesterday and today, so I think I'm as ready as can be. Only problem is I'm low on ammo now LOL.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Give yourself an easy advantage by taking care of the simple stuff.
    You will be a better shooter if you are dressed for the weather, have eaten as appropriate and are well hydrated.
    Also if you pack an extra bottle of water in your iced cooler and hand it to your safety officer at the appropriate time that can drop as much as 10 seconds off your score in July and August.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Give yourself an easy advantage by taking care of the simple stuff.
    You will be a better shooter if you are dressed for the weather, have eaten as appropriate and are well hydrated.
    Also if you pack an extra bottle of water in your iced cooler and hand it to your safety officer at the appropriate time that can drop as much as 10 seconds off your score in July and August.

Don't forget the free hat now and again also does wonders, too! :D

Top Bottom