• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    I've been looking around, and browsing the forums trying to decide on what I really think I want in a nice little .22lr rifle. I'm thinking something fun and cheap to shoot, maybe occasionally hunt squirrels with. It'll be something I will eventually mount a moderatly powered scope on and possibly a bipod. Semi-auto with at least 10rd capacity. I've been considering the Ruger 10-22 in black and stainless. I've also looked at the Marlin 882. So, considering these two as well as others, what would you all recommend? I'm not looking for something tactical looking (I've got my higher caliber rifles for that), so the rifles like the M&P15-22 aren't really what I'm looking for, but I want something sleek, good handling, accurate, and in the neighborhood of $300 or less. So lets here it, the good, the bad, and the ugly of what you all think (from experience please). Thanks in advance, because the input I've received in the past has led me to two great handgun purchases so far, I'm sure this will be much the same.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    You can't go wrong with either a Marlin Model 60 or a Ruger 10/22. The Marlins tend to be a little cheaper than 10/22's (on price) but are very good quality guns. The Rugers have more accessories available if you think you may want to add some in the future. Aw heck, go ahead and buy both and have a shoot off!!!!

ruger7722

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    indy
    i have most every 22 and most all are good.i have all the 452 czs 8 ruger 77/22 8 or nine 39a,bunch of rem. win. anchutzs and on and on.i offered 1500.00 dollars for a 10-22 sat. a friend john wopn thew masters 3 times w/ it.says he will will it to me.i dont want it that bad.be picky about looks and feel and what all you want to do w/ it.i dont need to recomend anything,there is not many that arent good.if you think you find one you like and i can be of help let me know.

Last edited:

ruger7722

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    indy
    paperboy ,i know youy know 22s.you picked my two least favorites.what about that nylon you got from me?is it still going strong

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    10/22 for the simple fact that it is a good shooter out of the box (compared to others in the price range); but, the big thing is if you wanted to upgrade later ... there are tons of after market parts. I had my 10/22 for over 25 years and thousands and thousands of rounds fired .. not one single problem. I recent upgraded the stock and barrel ... it made a good shooter a great shooter.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    My favorite is the CZ452 line. I have Rugers, Remington, CZ, Cooper, Norinco, Marlin and the CZ is my most accurate and dependable. Well I've not shot the Cooper yet though. For you I'd recommend the 10/22 to start. As previously mentioned they are dependable, accurate and have a ton off aftermarket products dedicated to them. It really depends on what you want and like really.

techno.m3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    savage mark ii is a nice gun for the money (i have one)

also, ruger 77/22 for a bolt. I would like to have a 10/22 just because they can be customized to no end.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    So I went ahead and bought it

I made the trip down to Bradis this morning and came back a happy camper. Ruger 10/22, black and stainless, out the door with a box of 500rds for $260. I was more than happy. The one thing that surprized me was as I was looking over their stainless ones, they had a few that seemed to be coated (not a real stainless but a silvery looking) but they also looked a little banged up. So I asked him to dig around in the back, he brought out two more of the silvery ones and this one which was a true stainless barrel. Plus, this was $20 cheaper than the banged up silvery ones.
    Ruger10-22.jpg

atkinson3069

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    10-22

i would go with the ruger 10-22 just because i am more of a ruger fan i guess but they are a proven gun to

Top Bottom