so what makes a .410 an "experts" shotgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lubemupski

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2012
    Fishers
    I shoot sporting clays almost every weekend and i think it would be a blast to shoot a couple rounds with a "sub gauge" but i just cant justify the cost. A box of 410 is 2-3 times more expensive than a box of 12/20 ... for less material ... which i always thought was strange.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I shoot sporting clays almost every weekend and i think it would be a blast to shoot a couple rounds with a "sub gauge" but i just cant justify the cost. A box of 410 is 2-3 times more expensive than a box of 12/20 ... for less material ... which i always thought was strange.

Economies of scale. Not at all strange.

Same reason why .22 WMR is much more expensive than .22LR (Well, of course, in the good ol' days when it was still on the shelves)

dontcha

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2013
    United States
    I never saw any reason for the 410 bore to even exist, actually, much less the 28 gauge, other than kids and their daddies wanting to impart a flinch to a kid by starting them on shotguns too early in life. I want to see them master the .22 and at least a 223 rifle, and at least a 9mm handgun, before taking a chance on startling them with a shotgun's recoil. Flinch is subconscious, and what's the rush, anyway? The kid can have a ball with a pellet rifle until age 13, a .22 rifle til age 14, then the 223 until 15, .22 handgun until 16, and 9mm until 17. THEN he can work on the shotgun, preferably starting with a 20 ga gas op auto, with a stock that fits and a good recoil pad. At age 18, he MIGHT soon have to shoot a shotgun for his life, after being drafted, (or that 9mm or 223).

I also think guys risk ruining a kid as a blossoming hunter by having them kill a deer at tender ages. Best to start with frogs, snakes, birds, then small game, THEN deer, so that they are inured more about the killing of "bambi".

Top Bottom