So what is the problem with "dry firing"?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Irishshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Avon
    I was in the Army and we dry fired our weapons all the time. Even did the dime/washer exercise to train trigger pull. We probably dry fired 10 times to every live round.
    Now I have read in some posts that it damages the firing pin. What is the deal? Why would pulling the trigger on an empty chamber cause damage to the gun?
    Is this an old legend that does not apply to modern guns?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    The general rule is that center fire guns are okay for dry fire and rim fires are not. There are exceptions on both ends. You should check on your particular firearm.

Dry fire is a valuable training technique.

Jarhead1775

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Rushville
    Marine here... same tactics and teachings.... for the most part. I was an Armorer for 10 years

I think most of it comes from the rimfire dry firing issues.

I know that if there is new "data" about this someone will chime in with it, but to my knowledge.. it does not harm a centerfire firearm.

:patriot:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It depends on your firearm.
    Read the directions.

Most of the problem is with rimfire guns.
    The firing pin hits the edge of the cartridge, which is a soft metal.
    Behind the rim is hard metal.
    Repeatedly driving the firing pin into the hard metal can mushroom the end of the firing pin slightly.
    Enough, that it will start to not fire the cartridge all the time.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Best way I can explain it (other than the rimfire peening the end of the chamber hence interfering with chambering and extraction) is that it works the same way as starting a cold engine and holding your foot to the floor with no load on it. I suppose in the end it depends of what is actually getting hit as your hammer or striker comes to a stop and how malleable and/or brittle such parts may be.

Exo594

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2012
    So... Could you place an empty .22 casing in the chamber, the safely dry-fire it? Ignoring mechanical feeding issues, etc.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I have a Rossi M720 44 special and the firing pin is attached to what is left of the non-spur hammer so in it snap caps are a must to dry fire, however almost all modern pistols where the firing pin is in the frame are good to go.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My uncles (lifer military) dry fired constantly so it is something I was taught from 12 yrs. old to do for trigger discipline. Those clunky mil-spec pieces seemed to be OK with it. These days we put a spent casing in the chamber for the pin to land on. Just seems prudent to treat an expensive piece this way. Does it help, I am sure it does. Does it hurt not to do this, Not sure. JMHO

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Dry firing is more useful than live fire practice IMO. You can never see how a twitch or pull caused by a bad grip or squeeze affects your sighting if recoil is occurring simultaneously. Eliminating twitches and pulls is one of the most difficult things about shooting, especially with hand guns. You can pull the trigger without it being cocked on most guns, but to really practice you need to feel the break, and hear that click.

So dry fire as much as possible, but do it safely (4 rules always apply), and just make sure you use snap caps if your gun doesn't like it. I don't use snap caps, but at home I have a bright yellow plastic safety barrel that I insert into my training pistol to ensure there is zero chance the gun could be loaded.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To Irishshooter (et alia),

I think this may be a combination of urban legend and/or old wisdom that no longer applies.

In the days of cowboys and six shooters the weapons were made of inferior metals compared to today. There may have been some wisdom in not dryfiring a weapon in that day. I do know that some folks would carry a pistol on an empty chamber 100+ years ago to avoid accidental discharge, so what applied back then does not apply today.

There is modern wisdom in not dryfiring a rimfire for all the reasons listed above but even now dryfiring a rimfire once a year will probably do no significant damage, in my opinion.

Let us not forget that years ago it was unwise to talk on the phone during a storm as lightning could travel through the line. Modern fiber optics has rendered that safety need moot. However, this does not stop some of the older generation from telling you to get off of the phone during a storm. This is well intentioned but what they legitimately had to worry about in the 1950s has no need for concern today.

So as far as I am concerned dry fire away without worry unless a rimfire.

Regards,

Doug

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    I was recently looking at a revolver at a gun show. I wanted to see how smooth the trigger pull was before purchasing so I asked if I could dry fire a couple of times. The owner cringed and said he didn't want me to. It wasn't terribly old. I found out later it was made in the mid-70s. He did allow me to pull the trigger back while holding the hammer. It didn't allow me to get the feel I was looking for, but it helped somewhat. I ended up buying it anyways. Too good of a deal to pass up even if the trigger doesn't turn out to be great. Maybe I should carry around a snap cap in my pocket when I go to gun shows.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    Well.... First post here, hope not to step on toes or anything of that sort, but....
    The rimfire issue has already been addressed.
    As far as other guns go, lets take a technical look at a couple of examples. With a revolver, instead of applying increased resistance to the end of the firing pin with a live round, you're meeting no resistance until the shoulders of the firing pin hit what is pretty much designed to be an immovable object. In my opinion, this will eventually lead to peening or cracking.
    With SxS's, much the same thing. Except in cases with rebounding hammers, which will nullify that effect, but possibly only somewhat.
    In a good number of rifles, you are overcoming a spring, or have an inertia operated pin, in which case the effect is somewhat nullified buy still there as well.
    With the 1911 format, you have a short, inertia operated, firing pin. However, those that have spent more time than I on the subject claim that you can foul up a good trigger pull by dry firing.[I'll have to look up the thought behind that one again].
    At any rate, I do occaisionally dry fire, but try not to make a habit of it. This, coming from someone who can fairly easily make another firing pin if I break one. I'm a firm believer in snap caps. Empties work, but eventually make the dent so large that you're offering little, if any, resistance. De-capping and adding a little daub of caulk in place of the spent primer works somewhat better.
    JMO,
    Jim

OZESS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    valparaiso indiana
    If you have to dry fire try those dummy round that are made for that dry fire> I traded for a 94 windchester and the guy told me the fire pin was broke because he
    dry fired it. $12 dollars and I fixed it my self.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Most manufacturers will tell you if dry firing is safe or not for a particular firearm.

Sig puts it right in the manual, and also on their web site:

"It is safe to dry-fire our center fire pistols. You would want to use a snap cap or plug if extensive dry-firing is done. Always count your dry-firing in your live fire count to be sure all springs and pins are in top condition. DO NOT intentionally dry-fire any rim fire pistol such as the Mosquito, .22LR conversions or Classic Pistols."

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Almost every centerfire rifle doesn't have an issue with this.

I presume you mean handgun here. Almost is the key word. It is important to check. Two exceptions that I know of based on manufacturers recommendations:

Centerfire- Keltec PF9- Should not be dry fired
    Rimfire- Ruger MkIII- Can be dry fired

Top Bottom