So, this is why I wish I could carry at work.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I rarely go out to lunch at work. Usually I have some tuna and chips with a powerade. Yesterday I had no lunch, and being hungry I went to Burger King. I was on my way back when I see this car pulling out from a side street and almost hit me. It was a T intersection where the cross traffic DOES NOT stop. Never has. So this b***h lays on the horn of her POS faded red hundai with no hubcaps and no muffler that was so loud that I cannot hear my radio over it. A few hundred feet down the street I can actually hear her YELLING at me over her muffler. I cannot tell what she said, but she was on the verge of some SERIOUS road rage, when I did nothing wrong. Now I am close to work and wondering if she will try to follow me into the parking lot. The surprise would be her trying to get past security. I slowed down and put on my turn signal almost inviting her to follow me, but she declined. The thing that bothers me is what if I was going to burger king instead of returning from it? Here I am with no weapon and outnumbered 2 to 1. I guess I just have to learn to curl up in the fetal position. :n00b:

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I feel your pain. I'm not allowed to carry in my car at work and I often eat lunch in Mars Hill. I always lock my doors and hope some white trash doesn't confront me while walking by.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I would suggest getting out of the mindset that you are unarmed if your gun is not with you. Your best weapon is your mind. I am by no means an expert in combat, but I do know that mentality and knowledge matters way more than any equipment you might happen to carry. I would carry at work if I could too though.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I can't carry at work either...

And MY office is adjacent to both a Marion County probation and Work One / unemployment office.

They have armed guards at Work One; and a few MCSD Special Deputies that work Probation.

There are often times PLENTY of folks milling around the parking lot; with no way for ME to tell if they're a laid-off accountant or are all keyed up because they're probably going to fail their pee-test at the Probation office. (Generally, though, if the folks are in decent "work casual" clothes, they're going to Work One)

Certain segments of these populations also like to walk up to complete & total strangers and ax questions. (Which, as I've learned on INGO and GlockTalk is a sure-fire way to know that I'm going to get mugged, shanked, or mugged & shanked)

Needless to say, I keep my head on a swivel in the work parking lot; i can never be sure when I'll have to leap into a tactical barrel roll to escape.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    There are just too many crazies in the world, this is why I provide my own security everywhere I go. If my employer ever decides to deny me the right to carry (and they have the right to do so), I will respect their wishes, and find employment elsewhere.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    There is a not so good public housing project behind my work. Last year there was a shootout in the evening right where children play and people congregate. A car pulled up and a man got out and started shooting at one of the buildings, then the building started firing back. Needless to say it is not the best part of town, but overall not the worst either.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I feel your pain. I'm not allowed to carry in my car at work and I often eat lunch in Mars Hill. I always lock my doors and hope some white trash doesn't confront me while walking by.

Does your employer fall within one of the exceptions to the new (2010) "guns in the workplace" statute (school, federal facility, etc.)? If not, you can't be punished by your employer for having a firearm locked in your car out of sight.

Check out Ind. Code 34-28-7-2(a)

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    im very lucky where I work (a small sign/printing shop) i OC coming in and leaving the shop. I take it off while i'm working and put it in a cabinet in the room I work in since i'm the only one who works in there. But I have carried every day since the arby's right next to us was help up and gun point.
    Sucks you cant carry at work.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    If you are going to get food and determine a serious threat, then just go back to work. Better to be hungry than shoot someone - even it if was necessary.

Your first defense to a dangerous situation is to leave. It is especially nice if you are lucky enough to have a "home free" to drive to.

Use your options, keep thinking, and find advantages in seeming disadvantages - these are all good ways to stay safe.

Hanu

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    Since HB 1065 passed, my employer (not exempt) had to rework their policy. Formerly, no weapons were allowed on the property. Now, they acknowledge that they can't prevent anyone from having a legally owned weapon locked unseen in their vehicle, but also state that we have to notify security if we choose to do so.

I didn't see anything in the bill that limited the right (such as notifying security), but I'm not sure if that's within their rights or not. Does anyone know?

I think it's a great way to get your vehicle targeted for a break-in.

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I would suggest getting out of the mindset that you are unarmed if your gun is not with you. Your best weapon is your mind. I am by no means an expert in combat, but I do know that mentality and knowledge matters way more than any equipment you might happen to carry. I would carry at work if I could too though.

This!
    You can defend yourself without a gun.
    I hear all the time "I had no gun on me, I was not armed". :rolleyes:
    I practice martial arts and workout to stay fit, I can defend myself with my bare hands (and already done it) if I need to.
    Even if I dont carry a firearm on me I always have a couple of knives, baton, or other impact weapons such as flashlights.
    I also practice using improvised weapons such as my belt (I actually only carry a belt to be used as a weapon or tourniquet for first aid).
    I never feel unarmed even in a plane after that the TSA made sure I had no "weapon" on me.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    This!
    You can defend yourself without a gun.
    I hear all the time "I had no gun on me, I was not armed". :rolleyes:
    I practice martial arts and workout to stay fit, I can defend myself with my bare hands (and already done it) if I need to.
    Even if I dont carry a firearm on me I always have a couple of knives, baton, or other impact weapons such as flashlights.
    I also practice using improvised weapons such as my belt (I actually only carry a belt to be used as a weapon or tourniquet for first aid).
    I never feel unarmed even in a plane after that the TSA made sure I had no "weapon" on me.

made me think of a quote I read in Bruce Lee"s biography,when asked if he would be afraid of a man with a knife{I can see his weapon but he cant see mine}

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Since HB 1065 passed, my employer (not exempt) had to rework their policy. Formerly, no weapons were allowed on the property. Now, they acknowledge that they can't prevent anyone from having a legally owned weapon locked unseen in their vehicle, but also state that we have to notify security if we choose to do so.

I didn't see anything in the bill that limited the right (such as notifying security), but I'm not sure if that's within their rights or not. Does anyone know?

I think it's a great way to get your vehicle targed for a break-in.

The statute says that an employer cannot have any rule, policy, etc., that "prohibits, or . . . has the effect of prohibiting" an employee from having a firearm locked out of sight in their vehicle. If there's any indication that informing security that you have a firearm in your car would have a detrimental effect on you or your property, I suppose there's an argument that that policy "has the effect of prohibiting" your possession of a vehicle in your car. That certainly hasn't been tested in the courts, however.

Guy

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    There is a not so good public housing project behind my work. Last year there was a shootout in the evening right where children play and people congregate. A car pulled up and a man got out and started shooting at one of the buildings, then the building started firing back. Needless to say it is not the best part of town, but overall not the worst either.
    Sentient building? Where the hell do you work? :D

Top Bottom