• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trophy hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    southern indiana
    the reason i ask is, i read on here where if you carry,leo will almost always call it in, i just wanted to not make it more of a pain in the rear than it could be.. not sure if that makes sense..lol

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    the reason i ask is, i read on here where if you carry,leo will almost always call it in, i just wanted to not make it more of a pain in the rear than it could be.. not sure if that makes sense..lol

I have never had them call any of my guns in. :dunno:

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township

There is no registration requirements in IN. If a cop calls your gun in and it comes up as stolen property, then you have a problem. That's why it is a good idea to create a bill of sale and get a DL# or at least a name and address validated by an ID. LTCH is preferred. Obviously, if it is a friend, this may not be necessary....but a complete stranger.....not a bad idea to cover your butt.:twocents:

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio

It will not come back in anyones name. A LEO is just checking to see if it is stolen not who the owner is because as I said earlier there is no registry of firearms in Indiana.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    You could take it to a gun dealer, sell it to him for 10% or so of what it's worth. Then buy it back from him for 10% over retail value. Then it would be "in your name."

dieselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Bloomington
    say the gun does come up as stolen? i would assume you are pretty much screwed and will more than likely do time for possession of a stolen firearm unless you have a darn good lawyer if you have no way of tracking down who you got it from. but if you do have a bill of sale, how will that affect your legal predicament?

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    say the gun does come up as stolen? i would assume you are pretty much screwed and will more than likely do time for possession of a stolen firearm unless you have a darn good lawyer if you have no way of tracking down who you got it from. but if you do have a bill of sale, how will that affect your legal predicament?

No, you tell the police where you bought it from and off they go.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township

Because you have evidence that you bought it and did not steal it. As long as you cooperate with the authorities, unknowingly buying or possesing stolen property is not a crime. Now if you knew the item was stolen, then that is a different story.....

Top Bottom