• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thej27

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    tonight on spike. One of the segments was showing two guys smoking and drinking a lot. Then one guy had the bright idea of emptying the shot out of a shotgun shell and loaded cigarettes in its place.

He then pointed the shotgun at his friend with the intention of shooting a supposed lit cigarette into his friends mouth. According to what the program said the cigarettes traveled at a high enough velocity that they pierced the friend's face and skull and killed him.

Besides holding the shotgun at point blank range I dont think it would be possible for the cigarettes to have enough weight to pierce a face let alone keeping a tight enough pattern. What are your thoughts on this INGO experts.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If he only took the shot out but left the wadding in, then i could see them coming out with definite force. I sure wouldnt try it :dunno:

plus call me crazy, but i wouldnt like the feeling of having a shotgun pointed at me anyway:runaway:

sianbrimons

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    Elkhart
    i think this would be something to be submitted either to that "box'o'truth" website, or to mythbusters, it really would be interesting to see what happens, i've had the thoughts of what all objects could be loaded into a shell, just for fun...

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Cigarettes at 1200 ft/sec and a cigarette weighs about 1 gram, that translates to a possible 49 ft/lb per cigarette. You could maybe get 4 cigs in one 12 ga shell, so that would translate to about 200 ft/lb of energy in about 60 grains of mass at point blank range.

Seeing how the cigs would be much lighter than a load of shot, the speed might be much higher, say 2800 ft/sec, now you are up maybe around 1000 ft/lbs.

Enough to do some damage I would think.

Ness2k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    China ^_^
    I remember this episode:

Killer Butts

Myth: Three cigarettes shot from a rifle at 7 feet can be lethal
    As the story goes, a couple of good 'ole boys decided to get drunk and mess around with guns. One of them put three cigarettes down the barrel of a muzzle-loading rifle and shot it at his buddy, killing him.
    Adam brewed up a clear ballistics gel dummy (new mixture) with a pig heart embedded in the center. They didn't bother with a rib cage as they were going with the assumption that the butts were able to squeak through the gaps in the rib cage. They found an exact replica of the muzzle-loading rifle in the myth and went down to the South San Francisco Police Department firing range, where they met up with their old testing buddy Master Sgt. Alan Normandy.
    For their first two tests, they used 80 grains of black powder and shot cigarette filters at seven feet. The first shot sprayed the dummy with filters, wadding, and black powder, but caused no real damage. The unburnt black powder lead them to believe that the rifle wasn't packed tight enough, so they tried again with more wadding. The next test didn't fare any better, with just more shotgun damage-less spray.
    They reasoned that the cigarette filters they were using were incorrect. An actual smoked cigarette butt weighs three times as much as a cigarette filter and is closer to what would have probably been used. They repeated their tests, this time with 'pre-smoked' cigarette butts. At seven feet they had a little more damage than before, but just non-lethal flesh wounds. At point-blank range, the shot went straight into the pig heart. At that distance, the cigarette butts definitely could be lethal.

Top Bottom