So i heard the funniest/stupidest thing the other night from a soon to be "marine"

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Someone I know of who just graduated this month, is getting sent out to basic training with another friend i know of for the Marines. Both have tried to coax me into it as well... But i think i would rather serve in the Air force. Provided i actually enlist and pass that dang ASVAB test.

Any who, back to the story.... I was at a friends house with some people over, and the conversation of guns was brought up from the elections, and this guy who i'll just call "E" was saying how guns are the reason so many get killed and hurt. How he also dislikes guns, and then said that i should vote for "Hillary" because she will ban all guns and make them all "disappear" I tried to tell him that was impossible being there are more guns here in the U.S more likely then people, and half the people who own a gun most likely wont bend over and turn them in. I know i wont. I'll say i threw them in a river somewhere thanks.:pffftt: I also inquired that even if God forbid such an event were to happen, that other certain people "criminals" would still get guns the same ways they do now. He just shrugged it off and we began talking about something else.

However it strikes me as a little odd, for a guy to be wanting to enlist into the marine core and not only that but volunteer for front line duty, where he is most likely going to go into combat and probably end up shooting someone, or the very least be walking around with an M16 slung on his shoulder.:wtf:

My point is... has anyone else run into anyone who is like that? To where they think if a Dem gets in that all the firearms in the United States are just going to magically "disappear" as my friend claims.:stickpoke:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    ...this guy who i'll just call "E" was saying how guns are the reason so many get killed and hurt...
    My usual answer to narrow, closed minds such as "E"'s is, "Oh, right. Because no one in the world was ever killed or hurt before the gun was invented."

I should add that I get called all kinds of awful names about that point in the conversation. I take that as a good sign, because it's how you know a liberal is losing-they can't argue with logic, so they go on to attack the person and his character, parentage, etc.

And they say we're the "loose cannons"? :nuts:

Psychologists call that "projection".

Blessings,
    B

ETA: No, I've not met folks going into the military who are elitist/statist like that. I know they exist, but I have not personally had the displeasure of meeting them. Sokay, there are enough civilians to try to educate. For "E" and his ilk, I'd ask if all the guns are taken away, what he would do if his home was invaded by people whose intent might just be robbery, but might also be either rape or murder. Would he just stand by and watch it happen, or would he do something to stop it? (note that not all rapists are heterosexual, either)

How would he rationalize allowing someone important to him to be hurt or killed just because he wanted all those nasty guns gone? Taking away the guns doesn't make everyone a good, law-abiding person.

Last edited:

stormryder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Batesville IN
    I have personally met people in the Army Guard who refuse to participate in IWQ/SWQ and just refuse to qualify. These are usually the people who joined up just for the college money, and think they are special.

Recently, I observed a ROTC Cadet try order an NCO to pass him in weapons qualification, and he never even fired his weapon.:bash::bs:
    Never saw or heard what became of it though.
    But I see a trend happening in the Military that frightens me at times.:nailbite:

ick

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    NWI
    Just wait until he's back from basic. He'll want to tell you all about how he can kill a guy with one finger. He'll want to vote for McCain and he'll start collecting weapons like it's TEOTWAWKI.

But yeah, why would a guy that doesn't like guns join the Marines? Seems like he doesn't really know what he's in for.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    The military has its fair share of statist assholes--no surprise here.

BTW, you're going to have to brush up on your English for the ASVAB. :)

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Recently, I observed a ROTC Cadet try order an NCO to pass him in weapons qualification, and he never even fired his weapon.:bash::bs:
    Never saw or heard what became of it though.

They really don't realize that they don't actually have authority until they're commissioned, right?

Silly ROTC cadets... I had one talking while I was teaching a class on something... First Aid, I think it was...
    and I asked him politely to hold his conversation until after the class.. little 19 year old rolled his eyes at me and kept talking. I effectively removed him from my class and told him to put his nose in a book somewhere. He didn't have authority until he was commissioned and I would council him in a second.

I'll ask nice once. After that, the stripes start talking.

Last edited:

butchern1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    ha, i am in the marine corps and have been for five years. i find that a lot of these kids come in completely oblivious to real like and maybe they just wanna wear the dress blues. these end up being the same kids that go to iraq and do nothing but eat pizza hut on al asad and come back and tell war stories about how they shot a kid or killed a bunch of terrorists. the truth is and i have been to iraq, that people think so much of the "war" in iraq, of the images shown in 2003 during the invasion. i cant even call this a war, and things are much different now. as a marine looking at this story it makes me wonder why this kid wants to join, so he can serve the country or so he can go home on leave and think he is cool?!?!

tmfinney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    New Castle
    He better get over his issues with guns, cause if he doesn't and goes over onto the front lines, more than likely they will find him with a full clip and a bullet in him.

I never had a problem with guns, I never thought that owning one made me bad, I just always thought along the lines that if it came down to my life or theirs, it's going to be theirs.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Uh, not to be an a$$hole,

"Marine Corps" is entitled to be capitalized, and there IS an "s" on the end.

Top Bottom