• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smittygj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    Seriously, how do you keep you powder dry during the downpours that we have been having? It's ML season so only gunners out should be using ML. But the challenge is to keep you powder dry so that when you get one in your sights, you can make your shot? I did not hunt today due to the weather, but if I was to go out, I would have put saran wrap over my muzzle with a rubber band. Anyone else want to share their secrets?

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    I guess I don't ever think about that. Since I started shooting the in-line, I just go. I usually dont have any problems with the knight going off. My Knight uses the disc primer system. As for the muzzle end, like I said, I don't worry about it.

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    I've hunted for nigh on 30 years with a flintlock and don't have much trouble really. I've never put anything over the muzzle. I just don't put the muzzle in a position that water can run down into it.. As for the back end, I guess you guys shooting caps and seal them with some finger nail polish, and the flintlock shooters ? Well, I keep my lock up under my arm/shoulder/armpit. Never a problem. 6 or 7 years ago I went to a woodswalk type of shooting match. Must have been about a 100 stations, took from 8am to 4pm to shoot it and it rained all day. Never a misfire. Wide brimmed fedoras help while loading.

Bazooka Joe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    South Central Indiana
    I've hunted for nigh on 30 years with a flintlock and don't have much trouble really. I've never put anything over the muzzle. I just don't put the muzzle in a position that water can run down into it.. As for the back end, I guess you guys shooting caps and seal them with some finger nail polish, and the flintlock shooters ? Well, I keep my lock up under my arm/shoulder/armpit. Never a problem. 6 or 7 years ago I went to a woodswalk type of shooting match. Must have been about a 100 stations, took from 8am to 4pm to shoot it and it rained all day. Never a misfire. Wide brimmed fedoras help while loading.

Only hunted the last 10 years doing the same, and also had the same results!

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    TC makes special stickers that go over the end of the barrel to keep moisture out on wet days. Shoot through and inexpensive route to go. I have never used them but I have seen them in stores.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I don't ML under any circumstances, but tape covering the muzzle is the smart way to roll whether you load from up there or the off end.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    I never worry about rain down the barrel,....just don't point it up in a down pour or dunk it under water. Now rain in the pan on my rock-locks, that's a different story.

I use a traditional piece of kit called a "cow's knee". It is a one piece leather cover that is sewed at the top and open at the bottom with leather thongs attached to the bottom front and back. It is heavily greased with bees wax. I simply tie the cover over the lock. When I need to shoot, I just untie the back and flip it forward over the lock and....wooosh-bang.

Dirty Steve

Ineverfollow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Madison County
    I walked out of the woods one day to find a condom on the back of my tailgate. I though to myself if I had gotten drunk and had a wild night of sex surely I would remember something. So on the way home I said something about it and my cousin informed me he lost one in the dark he puts them on his Black Diamond I use nothing on the Omega no problems but it was a good laugh.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    This year I'm trying a different route. I have a completely sealed breech. No possibility of moisture from there.
    As for the muzzle, Walmart sells a produtc called "finger-cots". They look like tiny little profilactics. Stretch over the barrel and shoot-through.

How is my breech water-tight you ask?

Google CVA Electra:D

Top Bottom