• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I'm not talking about that wimpy snow drift.

But what about plowed packed snow? I'm not sure if I would ever put this to a test when safety's a question. But just for S & G's I wonder how it would rank.

PRO's:

• I know that both water and sand put projectiles under a ton of friction and stop them very quickly.
    • It's Free and its everywhere
    • Easy to paint and easy to switch targets.

CON's:

• You never know what might be just an inch under that could cause a bad ricochet.
    • It's hard work to pile in a safe shooting area.
    • Unreliable.
    What do yal think? I vote that Lovemywoods do a range report with a 2 ft, 4 ft, and 6ft thick wall of snow. Anyone volunteer to help him shovel it? :D

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I once shot into a pile of snow out here at the ranch that was from plowing my drieway, moderately packed with a half inch of ice on the surface.

10mm round (probably HydraShok, can't remember), went through about 3' of snow through the other side and buried in the ground on the other side.

gmiller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    I'm not really sure what this means, but I routinely find 9mm bullets nearly unscathed on the range after the snow melts. But only after the snow has partially melted and refrozen.

rushca01

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    I saw a thread over on ARFCOM where this topic was brought up. Long story short a soldier posted in the thread saying not only does it work they teach the soldiers how to build snow baracades if you are part of the mountain program (don't know the specfic name). Not only will snow apparently stop bullets but you can also use it for an anchor to burry a stick in and tie a rope around the stick and rappel down a cliff etc.. YMMV. I guess the snow acts like sand does and sand stops bullets, I'm pretty sure you have to prepare the snow ie...make packed baracades and not just go diving behind a drift.

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    I saw a thread over on ARFCOM where this topic was brought up. Long story short a soldier posted in the thread saying not only does it work they teach the soldiers how to build snow baracades if you are part of the mountain program (don't know the specfic name). Not only will snow apparently stop bullets but you can also use it for an anchor to burry a stick in and tie a rope around the stick and rappel down a cliff etc.. YMMV. I guess the snow acts like sand does and sand stops bullets, I'm pretty sure you have to prepare the snow ie...make packed baracades and not just go diving behind a drift.

I have seen this before.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0

When I went through (1987?) we were taught that 18 inches of "icecrete" would stop most small arms. Regular packed snow, it takes a ton of it.
    Icecrete: you make a berm/wall/whatever out of snow. Wet it. let it freeze. viola, icecrete. Kinda like wetting sand on the beach, you don't want to wash out or melt the snow, just make it wet. A very touchy procedure that takes lots of practice.

dustjunky2000

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Greenfield
    Funny you mention this. A few years ago at a relatives' house, we were shooting out in their field and we decided to build a snowman to hold our targets for us. It took a lot of work but we finally got him built and rigged up a couple paper targets to him with sticks. We shot 9mm, 40, 45, and 7.62x54r at him over the course of a day. We were able to dig out several of the .45 and a couple 9mm, but we didn't find any of the 40 and the 54rs just blew chunks out the back of him. I was actually surprised at how well frosty stayed together with all the rounds he took. He was still standing when we got done. Of course, he was a lot uglier. :D

Top Bottom