• Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    The United States of America is at war with a plant

And the plant is winning.

We have F22's nicknamed Raptors. The plants, whose entire genus is nicknamed weed, only has roots. They make the Maginot line look like a high speed roller coaster and yet the "Weeds" continue to win. You can not declare war on a plant and win.

You can not populate an entire planet and then declare war on one of its indigenous species. Mother nature does not dig that kind of **** Bro. We are after-all only visitors here on our way to somewhere else.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    If you really want to see some fuzzy thinking read the methodology of the study. A sample size of 50 to test IQ over decades, n of 13 to 17? The research also started with different baselines - the cannabis users started 6 pints lower. Add in self reporting... The medical community has already filed this study in the trash.

Those are not unreasonable n sizes if you're using nonparametric methods. The starting point difference is irrelevant if you're looking for longitudinal directional movement that is statistically significant between the two cohorts. Longitudinal studies are notoriously difficult and small n sizes are the norm. Therefore, nonparametric methods are used for robustness against Type I errors. I don't know what these researchers did as I haven't seen their study and I don't want to subscribe to their journal to view it, but that's how these types of data sets should be analyzed.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I recently told my daughter (9 yo) that if I ever find a bag of pot in her drawers then her punishment will be that I will sit her butt down at the kitchen table, roll the whole bag up into however many joints and force her to watch her father smoke every last one of them :D
    When my Daughter was 10 she said to me "Dad, I have never seen you drunk."

My response was "and you never will."

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Hemp cannot get you high, but you can make paper, clothes, rope, insulation, concrete, ...uh...green eyed wall decorations, etc., out of it. You can eat the leaves in salads and hemp seeds are really healthy for us too. So why is hemp illegal? I would definitely plant a little crop of hemp if it were legal just to see what all I could do with it.

Hemp also makes it more difficult to grow potent weed nearby. The low THC hemp will cross pollinate with high THC marijuana plants causing lower THC flowering. Therefore, it is undesirable to hide your marijuana plants among hemp plants if you're trying to produce strong weed.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    Hemp also makes it more difficult to grow potent weed nearby. The low THC hemp will cross pollinate with high THC marijuana plants causing lower THC flowering. Therefore, it is undesirable to hide your marijuana plants among hemp plants if you're trying to produce strong weed.

That's interesting, something I didn't know, but it makes sense. You better be careful though. Having any knowledge about THC, marijuana, or the flowering process can get you branded as a drug dealer around here. I remember discussing higher potency cannabis and why it has higher potency. Someone tried saying it was because it was fed toxic chemicals and laced with crack, and I offered to help him not look like such a misinformed person, but I got attacked and labeled as a drug dealer instead.

It's not like anyone can go to wikipedia or any number of forums to read up on literally anything on Earth. Honestly though, it sounds like the Feds should be planting hemp all over the place, if they are serious about the war on drugs.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    It is a STUDY, and not an EXPERIMENT. Without the presence of a control group or an independent variable, you are left with individuals drawing conclusions from data that may or may not indicate their conclusion.

That does not mean that habitual marijuana use does not negatively impact development - however, that statement cannot conclusively be made either way without actual experimentation.

What this is actually saying: The group of people recorded in the data looked at who started smoking marijuana during their developing years often have a lower IQ later in life when compared to the general population.
    also: Those that took up smoking marijuana later in life are not included in this trend, as their IQ's correlate with the general population.

What this is NOT saying: Smoking marijuana decreases your IQ.

Way, way, way too many factors exist to make that statement from a study - and without a proper experiment (or a series of experiments) - not much is being said.

If we credited study results with causation, then the full moon causes crime.

Implying that this study proves marijuana use causes IQ degradation would be a logical fallacy - and just bad science altogether.

Take for example the fact that a large quantity of marijuana sold on the streets contains more than just marijuana, and without controlling that variable - those kids might be smoking more than just pot....

It makes the assumption that the individuals that smoke marijuana smoke only marijuana, and that no other variables exist that contributes to their lower IQ.

So, scientifically, this study explains very little to nothing at all...

Last edited:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Dumb? Prohibition brought a lot of money and power with hardly a public murmur of protest. They're not dumb.
    Well that's certainly a fact, and remains true in the present tense. The supporters of these policies have nothing to gain though, especially the ones who talk about smaller government.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Maybe they were filling their bongs with tap water...
    Harvard Study Finds Fluoride Lowers IQ - Published in Federal Gov't Journal | Peace . Gold . Liberty | Revolution

Maybe it was all those Doritos!
    Health Buzz: Junk Food Diet May Lower IQ - US News and World Report

Studies have shown being raised by a parent that abuses alcohol correlates with lower IQ. You read that right... the parent drinking (not during a pregnancy) correlates with lower IQ.
    Children of Alcoholics - Are They Different?

Even using Internet Explorer correlates with a lower IQ.
    Internet Explorer Users Have Lower IQs Than Users Of Other Browsers, Survey Finds (UPDATE)

Notice that while some of these studies can yield valid information and open the door to more extensive research, crediting the conclusion of a study with causation would be junk science.

If correlation implied causation, Internet Explorer makes you dumb.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    For people that don't believe the study, some of you are really defensive about it.

Oh, I "believe" the study - I just do not credit it with providing causation. It is a study - they parsed data, and it yielded a correlation. I have found no reason to critique or discredit the correlation, or study itself - but it should be taken for what it is, and not used to prop up broad assumptions that it does not support.

The statement "Smoking Pot makes you dumb" cannot be scientifically concluded from this study. This study does not grant the conclusion that smoking pot decreases your IQ, and holding up this study to make that claim would amount to junk science.

Correlation does not imply causation... that is one of those extremely important one liners drilled into the minds of students in high school and 100 level college courses for a reason.

My critiques are not aimed at the study, they are aimed at the false idea that a study derived correlation implies causation.

Last edited:

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Oh, I "believe" the study - I just do not credit it with providing causation. It is a study - they parsed data, and it yielded a correlation. I have found no reason to critique or discredit the correlation, or study itself - but it should be taken for what it is, and not used to prop up broad assumptions that it does not support.

The statement "Smoking Pot makes you dumb" cannot be scientifically concluded from this study. This study does not grant the conclusion that smoking pot decreases your IQ, and holding up this study to make that claim would amount to junk science.

Correlation does not imply causation... that is one of those extremely important one liners drilled into the minds of students in high school and 100 level college courses for a reason.

My critiques are not aimed at the study, they are aimed at the false idea that a study derived correlation implies causation.

Yeah, but it is good troll material for the old folks.

Top Bottom