• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbond

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 27, 2013
    Franklin
    Winchester Model 1897 pump action 12 gauge shotgun. It has a 30 inch, full choke barrel. According to Winchester records, it was manufactured in 1902. Interesting on its own, this shotgun is unique in that it was owned by G.W. Chapman, the man that in 1950 while working for the U.S. Forest Service fighting a forest fire near Capitan, New Mexico found and rescued a bear cub that became Smokey the Bear. Smokey of course became an icon and the symbol for forest fire prevention for the U.S. Forest Service ever since. Also, it has “Roy R.M.” carved into the right side of the stock in large letters. That is the name and initials of the prior owner, G.W. Chapman’s father-in-law Roy Morgan.

I bought this with a signed and notarized letter of authenticity from David Chapman as proof that it belonged to his father GW. As to the value of this shotgun who knows but it has a great story. Think of all the time in the back of his jeep banging around during his career. 18974.jpg18973.jpg18972.jpg18911.jpg

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Just putting the Background aside, Thats is a nice looking shotgun.. Not a safe queen.. It has the look..

Now with the story, that is neat...

May I ask, in the Letter does it spell out a description of the gun with the serial number????

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Any paperwork showing any of that background you speak of?
    Be cool to find some pix of him with it also.

Nice gun! Watch out for your thumb. My brother and I have great scars from the 97 through the years. :crying:

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    It's "Smokey Bear" , not smokey the bear

Not to argue, but my little golden book does not agree :)

Smokey%2Bthe%2BBear%2BLittle%2BGolden%2BBook.jpg

Last edited:

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Very neat item. I always think guns are more interesting when they have a history behind them.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Weapons with cool stories are always worth looking at. Thanks for the tale, and I'm not saying it isn't true. Once you've told your story there will be a bazillion people coming out to claim it's false...so what...big deal. You've got an excellent weapon with a legitimate story and you can't stop folks from wishing it was theirs.

I've got this 16ga from the hills of TN that was sold to me by this hillbilly...(and off we go)

Top Bottom