• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    Facing a bit of a conundrum for the EDC.

My first handgun was the SD9VE. I still have it, and I love it. The only thing I don't like is the cheap sights and the trigger. I looked at replacing them with XS Big Dot and read the front sight of theirs is made of pot metal and will break when I attempt to drift it in.
    My SD9VE is also a nice stainless/black combo. I've always liked these colors. Also, I have small hands and am a stocky short guy. There, I said it. Two companies I respect for holsters, Bravo Concealment and G Code, don't make anything for the SD.

My M&P 9C has night sights, 3 mags including the "no little finger" type. It is all black. I don't really like holding it or shooting it compared to my SD. The trigger feels about the same. I don't like that I can't use the slide lock to release the slide like I can on my SD Some say this shouldn't be used anyway, you should rack it every time. The full size M&P also has this feature, so it puts it in the same category for me. I can get holsters everywhere for the M&P.

I have carried both IWB, and comfort/carry wise really there's not much difference. The barrels are only .5" different. The grip of the SD shows a little more but I don't care about that either. There are sharp parts on the M&P I've tried to use super fine sandpaper to file down, but it still bugs me.

The SD has more capacity.
    I have heard the M&P sights will fit on an SD. Have any of you tried this?

I am in favor of taking the night sights from M&P *if it will work* and putting them on my SD, ordering a diff set for the 9c, and then maybe just selling it.
    I know lots of people hate on the SD, but it was what fit me best and I could afford at the time. I still love it, and I don't really want to get rid of it, but people are always telling me how they loved their M&P and how they wish they would've never sold it. I considered selling both for a Sig 320, but read too many drop safe horror stories.
    If I heard correctly, ballistically, the 9mm is optimized for 4".

So what would you guys do?

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    My SD9 is an ok handgun. Agree there are a few things different from my G19, but overall its a decent nightstand piece. Havent put a lot of ammo through it, but it has been dependable(200 rds or less?) Unsure about the sight replacement, and as far as carrying... it does fit my nylon type holsters (G19 too), and some Glock holsters. Resell value isn't great, actually I kept mine from a purchase of a friend. He didn't like the 2 tone Slide to frame. I do. Good luck on your sights, maybe a company like Brownells or serch EBay for SD9VE sights. CDNN has mags for those too. Decent prices!

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    Over 2000 rds through my SD. Factory ammo, handloads, 115 gr. and 124 gr.Hornady XTP, Critical Defensel/Duty, it eats anything. Not a single malfunction.

I got the M&P from a friend/good deal. I knew they were supposed to be good and it felt right at time of purchase, just not as "roomy". Much later I'm thinking...maybe not. Maybe I'll switch the backstraps again? I might just sell it w/o taking the night sights off. I know that would just drop its value.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    All M&P night sights work on the SD9/40 and SD9VE/SD40VE pistols.

Any holster that that works for an M&P full size should work for an SD9VE.

I have an SD9VE with Ameriglo M&P night sights, and it fits in all of my M&P holsters, both Kydex and leather.

Night sights don’t add all that much value, once installed. I would swap them out if I were you.

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    All M&P night sights work on the SD9/40 and SD9VE/SD40VE pistols.

Any holster that that works for an M&P full size should work for an SD9VE.

I have an SD9VE with Ameriglo M&P night sights, and it fits in all of my M&P holsters, both Kydex and leather.

Night sights don’t add all that much value, once installed. I would swap them out if I were you.

Good to know Route 45. (Route 45 at Bean Blossom is one of my favorite motorcycle haunts btw).

I looked at my SD and the rear plastic is drift adjustable but looks like maybe a spot for a screw under the plastic.
    The M&P has the set screw and looks like red Loctite. The SKU on this is 309604 (when I looked it up it said for Law Enforcement Only). The night sights were factory installed.

Did yours have similar setups? Is there a location for the new sights to screw in on the SD? Just wondering before I head in with it...

Last edited:

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    Black arch holsters are top quality they have owb holster with the wings, there iwb holsters are also great. They do make them for your SD9VE.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I just put up my SD9VE with 5 mags for sale last night that I picked up last summer just for fun since the price was right (selling for $300), and it was in pristine condition.
    I have the Shield 9 and 45, and I need small for CC, but I wanted to try out a full size 9mm for fun, and I loved it like all my Smiths: feels so right in my hand after trying out all those small 9mms last summer. :laugh:
    All this love over the SD makes me want to take mine back to the range at least 1 more time to enjoy.

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    I actually need an extra mag, only two with mine new. I believe I'm going to use the SD for the class I have coming up. Cheapest I could find was $30 shipped. I have an inquiry in with Bravo Concealment to see if they can mold an SD holster for me. The beauty of their system is you can flip the clips to make their OWB an IWB.

Last edited:

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    Went with the Raw Dog Tactical option. They mold it specifically for the SD. I will need to order an extra mag now. Seems like most manufacturers arent supporting the SD bc its so inexpensive. Will order Ameriglos next and hopefully the holster works out.

Top Bottom