• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DrPrepper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Acton IN
    Just got back from 50 rounds thru my new Smith and Wesson Bodygaurd 38, best shooting J frame I have ever shot in my life.

The high hand, high thumbs hold you can get due to it not having the cylinder release on the side, contributed to the best groups I have ever got, one handed, weak hand, and two handed ever.

Also made it VERY easy to extract, and use a speedloader not having to mess around with that release on the side.

The laser is very nicely in line with the bore, and seems accurate out to decent distances.

I have no idea if the polymer has any effect, I kinda doubt it, but holy cow I am in love with this gun. Very very comfortable to shoot.

I am a HUGE fan.

For 500 bucks, without any crimson traces to buy, I think its a good value.
    Just wanted to share.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Thanks for the report. I was looking at the ad for the bodyguards the other day and wasn't really sure if I liked their looks or not.

Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I looked at these too out at target sports in sheridan. I am a big fan of the j frames and am still up in the air on if this one is for me or not, as I am in the market for a new airweight. The laser sight did seem pretty nice, but the cylinder release was hard to find at first. If you have not seen one of these before, its up by the sights. Works fine, but even the owner of the shop could not find it at first as its not in the usual release location. :dunno: Great range report though.

DrPrepper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Acton IN
    the relocated cylinder release is the best part I think, because now you have the whole side plate to stack your thumbs,so your right hand thumb is right up there, and your grip is high HIGH on the revolver. And unlike a 442, there is no square metal part just ready to slam the web of your hand, its all that nice rubbery grip thing.

I .. really could not be more impressed.

The trigger is great, its smooth and easy to get fine accuracy out of.

My rapid fire defense style 5 shot groups at 10 yards were about the size of a fist, which for ME is.... very very good.

I cannot explain how positive and easy the ejection is, with the thin grips, no release, and long ejector rod, and how easy the speedloader is to pop right on.

This is a huge upgrade in ergonomics for the Smith J frame-sized guns. It is a complete redesign.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    It's an interesting gun, no doubt.

I think it's interesting how S&W touts the ambidex cylinder release, as if the direction the cylinder swings means nothing (still swings left), and then put a laser on it activated by a switch that isn't particularly left hand friendly. I'm not sure the cylinder release is really an improvement for lefties, who don't seem to have difficulty activating previous releases with their trigger finger, and I think it's a disimprovement for righties. It's innovative, but I'm scratching my head.

I also wonder why they didn't go with something like the Crimson Trace system on these, a system that's arguably more ambidex, intuitive, and fumble free under stress than the Insight Tech system.

The marketing dept. can call it a "Bodyguard" if they want, but the frame is more in the lineage of the Centennial.

Last edited:

DrPrepper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Acton IN
    It's an interesting gun, no doubt.

I think it's interesting how S&W touts the ambidex cylinder release, as if the direction the cylinder swings means nothing (still swings left), and then put a laser on it activated by a switch that isn't particularly left hand friendly. I'm not sure the cylinder release is really an improvement for lefties, who don't seem to have difficulty activating previous releases with their trigger finger, and I think it's a disimprovement for righties. It's innovative, but I'm scratching my head.

I also wonder why they didn't go with something like the Crimson Trace system on these, a system that's arguably more ambidex, intuitive, and fumble free under stress than the Insight Tech system.

The marketing dept. can call it a "Bodyguard" if they want, but the frame is more in the lineage of the Centennial.

I am not exactly a fan of the laser, or care much about ambidexterity, but what I can tell you, is having a huge sideplate, that has no sharp cylinder release on it, is a HUGE boon to a high hand thumbs up revolver hold, which for me, was the key to rapid fire accuracy.

I dont much care for the laser to be honest, but its decent for a range toy or as a training aid in dry fire, I certainly wouldnt depend on it in a gunfight.

But, I cannot stress enough how nice, it is to really wrap your hands around a snubby and fire rapidly, and make hits.

For me its a revolution, in a snubby revolver grip that works.

As far as the laser location, I rather agree with you, other than, when drawing the gun thats generally where my thumb is anyway, but honestly for the purposes of this gun, as a backup gun, pocket gun etc, the range I will use it will be conversational, where the laser and wether its on or off is probably a moot point.

My guess is, if it DID have Crimson Trace lasers on it, I probably couldnt have got it brand new for 480 bucks. Thats just a guess, but as far as I am concerned, its got the styling of the high dollar PD guns, shrouded ejector rod, non-rusting construction, replaceable pinned on front sight, and again, no cylinder release to worry about...

I could not be a more happy customer.

1. I dont have to worry so much about rust
    2. its got a pinned on front sight
    3. I dont have to worry about a knucklebusting cylender release, or pushing my thumb against it during recoil
    4. its +P rated
    5. Its light, but not TOO light
    6. Its got a great trigger, and on top of all that... it shoots great!

The laser isnt even in my personal top 6 reasons to like it.

I am a HUGE fan.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Thanks for the range report. I wonder if they'll ever make the laser an option like they have with manual "safety" levers and magazine disconnects on the M&Ps.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    I've only dry fired the .38 Bodyguard. Trigger is smooth. I noticed the cylinder rotates backwards." W/O the laser, I'd probably buy one.

Top Bottom