• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CharlesGoodnight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    I need some input and opinions on these two pistols. My hope is to procure one of these firearms in the near future. I plan to primarily use this as a target pistol and perhaps home defense.

Any opinions or experience with either?

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I can give an experienced based opinion. I'm going to say of all the high capacity 9mm's I've ever shot, held, and lusted after, the CZ is the top of the heap (I put it before poly high caps, too). I've kind of fell for the slide-in-frame design,, and have bought several other CZ's and clones that have the original's influence. CZ p07, 97b, 2075, Tanfoglios, etc.

I've not owned a 59 series S&W, but I've shot them and see them quite a bit. They're fine. Mags are available many places. I'd like to have a 59 to refinish or dress up if the right deal came along. But either that or a Daewoo that takes the same mags will be a nice project.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    I have a CZ-75BD and I absolutely love it. I also have a Tangfolio Witness, and a Sar B6P (polymer compact). Both based off the CZ-75. Very light recoiling, accurate pieces.

sofrosune

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I'm a CZ fan as well. Solidly built, reliable, proven platform, and very reasonably priced. The 5906 that I've held didn't seem nearly as solid as CZ's. I'm honestly confused that a Sig 226 will go for $750+ while a CZ 75BD will be $450. Not sure where the extra $ goes.

By the way, LEaSH, jealous of your 2075. I've always wanted one, but am holding out hope that CZ will someday get into the single stack 9 game. I'd love a Rami BD with the width of a Walther PPS.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    5906 is built like a tank. I do not think you could wear one out. They shoot very well. You are at no disadvantage with ethe Smith & Wesson. I personally like how the CZ fits in my hand. It is a older design and has proven very reliable. Even though they are imported, it is not hard to find magazines. They shoot very well. You are at no disadvantage with the CZ, inless your eyes cannot tolerate the smaller standard sights. I would say it is simply personal preference, as long as you have good eyes.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I have owned over a dozen third generation S&W semi-autos including a couple 5906s. They are extremely rugged and reliable. They will shoot anything. They are also very easy to maintain. Now that they aren't as common as they once were it is more difficult to find magazines, holsters, etc. It is also difficult to find grips and they are real pain to change. They are big and heavy, very stable shooting platform and, head to head do not offer the accuracy you will find in the CZ. The triggers are long and heavy in DA. I now own five customized CZs. They are the most accurate handguns I have ever experienced. It is much easier to shoot a CZ accurately than most other handguns. The CZ 75B, which is the flagship of the line, is a duty weapon and comes stock with a long and somewhat heavy DA pull. This breaks in nicely with use and there are several places to get quality after-market parts which can transform one to triggers you really have to experience to believe. If you get a 5906 it is what it is and what it will always be. If you get a CZ it will improve just by shooting and can really be something amazing. You can do a simple change in springs and some polishing and you will feel a noticeable difference or you can upgrade to a race hammer, adjustable sear, better trigger, short-reset, reach reduction, etc. I have an old CZ 75 which predates the B model (it has no firing pin block) that, after modification has a 6.5# DA and a 2.5# SA. I use it for competition. My 75B and 75 compact have even better DA triggers but slightly heavier SA triggers as I use them for carry. A CZ can be just exactly what you want it to be depending on what upgrades and springs you use. If you want a reliable gun that will never let you down either will do. If you want something really outstanding and are willing to make some upgrades go with the CZ hands down. I work in West Lafayette and shoot at Applied Ballistics in Lafayette at least once a week. You are welcome to come up and shoot any of my CZs just drop me a line. Beware that once you shoot one of these it is sometimes difficult to go back to anything else.

MordecuS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Mooresville
    I've shot a 5906 roughly half a dozen times and loved it. That said, I own a CZ75B 9mm, a CZ75B 40 S&W, and a CZ75D PCR Compact as my everyday carry. I would choose a CZ over most any brand at this point. They are wonderful firearms and as many have said before me, addictive as hell.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    How big are your hands, OP?

The 5906 is a "big" gun to me. I have large hands - and I don't find the reach to the trigger on those S&W pistols to be all that comfortable. Neither is the operation of the pistol at speed - hitting mag release at speed. That said - I've never shot one of them. (The 3913 LS being the only one I've fired...) Did I mention they're big? They just seem to be bigger than necessary. That's good for some things (like how they feel while being shot) but not so great for others (all-day carry and/or concealability)

I've owned a CZ-75 before. Satin finish. Oooh lala. Fun to run, comfortable to shoot, and quite accurate. Ultimately, though, DA/SA guns just aren't what I like to shoot.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Truly a Sophie's choice for me.

I have owned several of each and would (mostly) agree with Birds away. I currently own both and enjoy both very much. Trigger on the CZ is a bit nicer out of the box. Mags can be found more easily and cheaply too.

My current large frame Gen 3 S&W favorite is my 5946 which is the all steel DAO version. The gen 3 DAO is kind of like a pre-cocked thing and it shortens the trigger reach by half. But when it's all said and done, as much as I like the Smiths, for a first time purchase I would go with the CZ.

Unless you have a Marlin Camp Rifle, which uses the same mags as the 5900 series, which is the cat's meow on steel plates.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I used to have a 5906 as a duty gun and it is a heavy gun but a very soft shooter, I would love to have another one to have around the house. Never owned or shot any CZ guns, so no opinion on those.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    My next firearm goal, after I finish up my Para 1911, is to send a newly acquired CZ off to CGW. I've heard nothing but praises coming from any and everything they do.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    I shot IDPA for years using a 5906 with several guys that also ran them and they always went back right away to the mother ship for their action tuning package, made a world of difference in their handling and performance. They were very popular even with the price tag they carried way back then, worth every penny for speed and accuracy.

Here's one of my safe queens that got the treatment from Frank Smith, that man could make these things sing like no one could and they are an absolute joy to shoot.
    5906-9_zps77ea4a5d.jpg

EastIndyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I've never handled the 5906 but I do have a Springfield P9 (CZ 75 copy) in .40 that is awesome. I have big hands and its very comfortable to shoot. Simple design and easy to take down. I dig it.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Cz all the way. Plus, they're still in production. The smiths are getting to be a classic that's demanding a bit more money than what I think they're really worth (as a gun to be shot, not collected).

Top Bottom