• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I taught myself how to weld with 6013, 7014, and 7018 but yesterday i picked up some 6011s and am having trouble maintaining an arc. it is almost like im snuffing out the arc but i dont think i am. i am keeping the same tight arc length that i do with the other electrodes. I am using the whip and pause technique. Is it normal for 6011 to to be kinda temperamental? Or am i not feeding the rod in fast enough? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    6011's are a great rod to burn in deep with. But they are a little quirky until you get use to them. Definitely use a whip technique. You may need to turn your amperage up. What are you running it at currently? Also what machine are uou using

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I was running 40-100 amps they are 3/32" rods so i tried everything inside the recommended amperage range. I am using a everlast 140st which runs everything else great.

Ellis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Corydon
    If I remember right, 6010/6011 are best run hot and fast. Are you storing the electrodes properly? Don't think 6011's need oven storage but moisture can affect them.

Ellis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Corydon
    Also, what are you welding on and what position? Is your material clean? Thickness of material?

Last edited:

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I usually store my rods in cooler with moisture absorbing packets with them but i just bot this box yesterday. Metal is clean and im going flat left to right and bottom to top also in the flat position. I tried a beveled joint with a 60 degree bevel with a 1/16" gap and land i had hardly any penetration with zero backface reinforcement. The same joint with 7018 gave good penetration and an acceptable amount of backface reinforcement.

Ellis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Corydon
    Could you post a picture of the weld? I don't exactly know what you mean by backface. Are you meaning the root of the weld? Like if you flip the part over it looks looks like weld , not just globs of metal?

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    sorry didn't get picks of the beveled joint but yes by backface i mean the underside of the joint. it was still open even though it only had a 1/16" land. im slowly getting stuff figured out. they seem to run better on a transformer welder as opposed to an inverter based welder. you really have to move with the 6011s kinda surprised me how fast you have to go.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom