• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    I have a ruger sr9. Sometimes when the slide is locked back and I insert a new mag the slide goes forward on its own. Doesn't happen every time. Is this an issue? No other issues with the gun. Over 700 flawless rounds.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Generally if you slam the mag in hard enough then yes that could cause it. No it's not a problem, ease up on how hard your putting (slamming) it in.

If it is happening on an empty mag then you do have a problem.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Doesn't seem right. You aren't slamming/smacking the mag hard up into the mag-well are you?
    You do realize that doing so can ruin your magazine feed lips, and bump the slide lock out of the locking position?

If you ARE smacking your mag, STOP THAT!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Generally if you slam the mag in hard enough then yes that could cause it. No it's not a problem, ease up on how hard your putting (slamming) it in.

If it is happening on an empty mag then you do have a problem.

It's quite obvious that great minds really DO think alike!:D

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    Doesn't seem right. You aren't slamming/smacking the mag hard up into the mag-well are you?
    You do realize that doing so can ruin your magazine feed lips, and bump the slide lock out of the locking position?

New sig line!!!

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford

Probably doing it without realizing how hard I am inserting them. I will make it a point to insert with less force. Thanks!

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I think it was cory who posted a video on youtube that explained the issue. Perhaps your slide lock spring is weak, but it can happen with most any semi auto if you slam a mag in hard enough.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    You shouldn't need go use any force at all when the slide is back. It should click right away in. I believe the only time you need to slam a magazine in is during a tactical reload, or when the bolt/slide is forward. (I try to always load with it locked open because it is easier and seems like it would cause less wear.) That said, I would be happy to have the slide close automatically after inserting the mag, since it saves a step and would be really useful when speed is important. I heard that M&P pistols were supposed to do that, but mine don't, none of my pistols do. :(

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    This is a well-known "feature" of the M&P pistols...

Doesn't take much force on an inserted mag to get the slide to go into battery.

Let it fall, rack the slide, shoot.

(racking the slide is a function of training - even though it may chamber a round every time it falls once a mag is inserted, the ONE time that it doesn't catch the round will be the ONE time that you need a round in the chamber RIGHT THIS VERY SECOND OR I'M GOING TO DIE scenario we all pray doesn't happen. So what if you jack a live round onto the ground. Pick it up when you're done.)

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    This is a well-known "feature" of the M&P pistols...

Doesn't take much force on an inserted mag to get the slide to go into battery.

Let it fall, rack the slide, shoot.

(racking the slide is a function of training - even though it may chamber a round every time it falls once a mag is inserted, the ONE time that it doesn't catch the round will be the ONE time that you need a round in the chamber RIGHT THIS VERY SECOND OR I'M GOING TO DIE scenario we all pray doesn't happen. So what if you jack a live round onto the ground. Pick it up when you're done.)

This happened to me in IDPA once, I will never trust the slide falling on its own to chamber a round again.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    Well, if you were in gun fight, it would be a good thing is automatically load a round into the chamber for you for the shots.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom