• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rideac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    i agree. I haven't bought mine yet, but i've been looking around at some different options. I like a lot of the bags at wiggs.com but they are all pretty expensive. i was searching amazon.com for bags and found one with a few positive reviews that i have waiting in my shopping cart:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Sports-Celsius--25-Degree-Flannel-Sleeping/dp/B001TY3FU8/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1298176320&sr=8-21]Amazon.com: TETON Sports Celsius XL -25-Degree Flannel Lined Sleeping Bag: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

what did you end up getting/where/how many federal reserve notes?

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I've got sleeping bags out the wazoo! Bags for arctic conditions to bags for summer. These I've collected over the years as an Ass't Scout Master, and with two sons. I'd have to pull them all out to be able to tell what brands I've got.

Kelevra TAR-21

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    i agree. I haven't bought mine yet, but i've been looking around at some different options. I like a lot of the bags at wiggs.com but they are all pretty expensive. i was searching amazon.com for bags and found one with a few positive reviews that i have waiting in my shopping cart:

Amazon.com: TETON Sports Celsius XL -25-Degree Flannel Lined Sleeping Bag: Sports & Outdoors

what did you end up getting/where/how many federal reserve notes?
    I went with the Teton XL - 25 off of Ebay 138.00 for both shipped.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Probably the best combination sleep system I've ever encountered is the military sleep system, which includes a warm-weather sleeping bag, a cold weather sleeping bag - the two of which nest together - and a GoreTex sleeping bag cover. I've seen them advertised in surplus stores for ridiculously low prices compared to their cost new.

swatdoc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Franklin
    Probably the best combination sleep system I've ever encountered is the military sleep system, which includes a warm-weather sleeping bag, a cold weather sleeping bag - the two of which nest together - and a GoreTex sleeping bag cover. I've seen them advertised in surplus stores for ridiculously low prices compared to their cost new.

Another vote for the issue MSS bags. Uncle Sam paid upwards of $300-400 for those bags new. Getting a nicely used one for over a $100 is a deal. They can vary in condition, so order from a known good source, or eyeball them directly before you buy. What makes this system so useful is the range of temperatures they can be used under by using one of the two bags separately, or together. The bivy cover is also nice to extend the sleeping comfort range temperature wise--use alone like a poncho wrap in warm weather or over the bags to keep the elements out.

Keep in mind the bags only come in one size, and if you're not the size range of our troops that could be an issue. Operative theory is you want your bag snug enough to retain your body heat close to you without being so tight as to make it difficult to move around a little.

swatdoc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Franklin
    Anybody have experience with these Recon 5 GSA Coyote Brown

Never heard of this one before, but I followed your link and it looks a lot like a Snugpak (by another name). I say that from the design of stuff sack, the picture with the hand holding the bag up and the specs. Just a guess. The "GSA" in the name makes me wonder if Snugpak has started manufacturing stateside (they are a UK Co.) in order to capture Berry Compliant contracts.

I do own one Snugpak bag and found it's fairly well constructed. Typically they are built for a lean person--and this one is no exception! They do sell expander panels for the zips on their bags. On mine, the toe box is just big enough for my size 13's (this is in one of their mil bags which are made to sleep with boots on). People will typically say Snugpak over-rates their sleep temps. Note that they have a "comfort" and an "extreme" temp rating. The bags are advertised by their extreme number. I've not done enough testing with this bag to give an opinion. I think sleep temps are just too subjective and vary too much by individual to make any conclusions!

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    Here is a link for a different manufacturer that has not been mentioned yet. Wiggy's . These bags are similar to the MSS version. The plus is these are offered in different sizes to fine-tune the fit for the individual person. It's a similar concept; (2) different bag weights that can be zipped together to make a single two layer bag.

I have several of these now and they are very nice. Downside, just like the MSS version is that they tend to be a little bulky. I think this is more a function of the compression bags though. One thing to watch out for is; leaving a synthetic sleeping bag compressed for long periods of time can reduce the insulation's ability to fluff back up. I've heard this from some military guys. This may be somewhat speculative as the manufacturer states it doesn't matter. I tend to be somewhat in the middle of this argument. Buy a slightly lower temp bag than might be required. The compression issue is then somewhat mitigated.

Most people tend to want a much larger bag than necessary. It should not be too snug, but not too loose either. Think of a wetsuit for scuba. If the bag is too loose the air flow can move around creating cold spots. That's why wetsuits are snug to keep the water from being circulated next to the skin.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    the mss is a good system but its super heavy and will take up a ton of room in your pack. i still have 3 of them and they work well. you do not want to store any sleeping bags compressed it ruins the insulations and causes it to clump.

you have 2 types of bags synthetic and down. down tends to be lighter and warmer. the one problem is if you end up getting down wet it doesn't insulate at all. when camping best to store it in a water proof bag and only take it out in the tarp or tent and then let it air out some in the morning before repacking. the synthetic will still insulate some but not nearly as well if wet but still better than down.

watch most manufactures don't actually rater there bags realistically. look for something w/ a EN rating as they are a lot more accurate. its a European rating system. some great bags and companies are snugpak as mentioned above, the north face (for the money the cats meow is a great bag) the recon bags mentioned above are very solid also. wiggys, marmot, or mountain hardware bags. all are rated pretty close and will hold up well.

don't skimp on your bag as it sucks being cold out on the trail or if you really need it in a survival situation

Last edited:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    the mss is a good system but its super heavy and will take up a ton of room in your pack. i still have 3 of them and they work well. you do not want to store any sleeping compressed it ruins the insulations and causes it to clump.
    Close but compression alone does little harm the insulation. What does greater harm is Machine Washing and Drying of the bags. Literally one washing can take a great bag and turn it to crap...

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I tend to have a couple of different types of bags/sleep systems that I use depending on the time of year the environ I am attempting to live in, and the type of transport I have.

If I have a Vehicle or am working out of a Base Camp. I use my Multi bag Military system.
    If I am having to survive with just what I can carry. That might drop all the way down to just a woobie...

car53

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Bloomington
    I've been using REI brand sleeping bags for a few years now and love them. I have a 15F bag that was used in Colorado at 12,500ft and was great. Plus it compacts down to the size of a football.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Close but compression alone does little harm the insulation. What does greater harm is Machine Washing and Drying of the bags. Literally one washing can take a great bag and turn it to crap...

i am not sure what you mean or where you got your info but storing your sleeping bag compressed will ruin it :). that is a very well known fact. you should either put it in the very big breathable cotton bag that comes with them or lay it flat in your closet or under your bed. i have also washed multiple sleeping bags with no problems as long as you use a front loading washer (agitator style washing machines can ruin a bag). just follow the instructions on how to wash and dry it. don't do it but about once a year or so. just my experience and what seems to be the manufactures experiences and feelings also :)

just so other folks reading this are clear don't store your sleeping bag compressed it will ruin it.

here are some links incase there is any confusion on what i am saying or in case folks want to see what major companies who produce and sell sleeping bags say on the topics

Backpacker Magazine - How to Store and Clean a Sleeping Bag

Sleeping Bag Care | Sierra Designs

Caring for Your Sleeping Bag: Expert Advice from REI

Last edited:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    i am not sure what you mean or where you got your info but storing your sleeping bag compressed will ruin it :).

Not arguing that. After I reread what I typed I could see the confusion...

What I meant was Machine Washing in an Agitating Washer does far more harm than improper storage for most people. Most People will just throw their bags into their washer at home and not even consider the damage that they are doing to the bag.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I personally have found over the years the best way to clean a bag is a reputable dry cleaners... :D

Currently costs me $18 for a 24 hour turn around on a bag. Money well spent to me...

Top Bottom