• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I recently got hold of a Winchester 97. In reading up on the gun I saw that they can be slam fired. Being a fan of history and having read about the 97's role in WWI I would love to try this just once to see what it felt like. The model I have is not a military model but I have tested it by dry firing and it appears that it will slam fire.

My question is, is it safe to try slam firing a 97 with modern ammo? I am not into it enough to want to risk damaging the gun, but if it is safe I want to try it.

Oh, and yes, referring to other threads on this site, I am asking a question about a gun that I own.

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    don't know about safe?? It won't hurt the gun but make sure you hold onto the slide as you do it because the breech will be unlocked and recoil may open it before you're ready.

Steve

caddywhompus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Pendleton
    The 97's are sweet shotties. I've got one but I'm about to send it in for a little work on the trigger group. Found a guy that'll work on it and has access to parts. Have fun with it!

kycrawler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    The shotgun shouldnt fire till the action is in battery . I have a win model 12 riot gun that operates like your 97 does . It is fun to shoot with the cheapo walmart field loads

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    Question????
    Are we talking "Slam Firing " or Bump firing" ???

Slamfire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I could be mistaken, but slam firing is accomplished with 1 pull of the trigger, which I would be very cautious of doing. More than one round being fired from the result of 1 trigger pull is a no no. just my 2cents

Bump fire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MY BAD, after a little research on the 97 i read that it is supposed to fire while holding the trigger & pumping at the same time.Everytime the action of the pump goes foward it slams the firing pin into the primer. HUH, i think i learn something new everyday....

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    A slam fire, in this instance, is the simultaneous firing of the round as the action is closed.

Lots of pump-action .22LR rifles are the same way.

-J-

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I've done this with no ill affects on each of the three I own (1 original & 2 chinese copies). Yes, it is fun.

I see shooters do this all the time in cowboy matches. That said, you'll want to make sure that the safety that keeps it from firing out of battery is intact and that the "flag" comes up properly to ensure shells don't come partly out (thus giving the extractor a chance to hit the primer).

Top Bottom