• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ZachJ03

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Grant Co.
    I've been thinking of looking into trading my 30-06 for an SKS. Not 100% sure yet though. I collect the 7.62x39 for my AK and figure it'd be good to have another decent rifle that shoots the same rounds. Are they a reliable rifle? Any makes to look for, or look out for? I don't know very much about them obviously. When you do the conversion to extended magazine does it negatively effect them at all?

jwkidd3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2011
    I've been thinking of looking into trading my 30-06 for an SKS. Not 100% sure yet though. I collect the 7.62x39 for my AK and figure it'd be good to have another decent rifle that shoots the same rounds. Are they a reliable rifle? Any makes to look for, or look out for? I don't know very much about them obviously. When you do the conversion to extended magazine does it negatively effect them at all?

I have two and am looking for more. I love the SKS. Fantastic shooter and you cannot go wrong with the availability and cost of the ammo. I mean, 1200 rounds for $200.....

ZachJ03

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Grant Co.
    I have two and am looking for more. I love the SKS. Fantastic shooter and you cannot go wrong with the availability and cost of the ammo. I mean, 1200 rounds for $200.....

I agree. I like the idea that I'd have another rifle to shoot the ammo that i have the most of. I've held one before but never fired one though. They vary in size correct? And is any certain country supreme to others when it comes to the SKS?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    SKSes can take a lot of abuse, much like AKs. So yes, they are very reliable. Mostly, you look for SKSes by nationality- Russian, Chinese (Norinco), Yugoslavian (Yugo), Romanian, Albanian, etc. The standard 10-round mag and the 20-round Tapco aftermarket mags seem to have the best reputation. There are a limited subset of Norincos that can take AK mags (SKS-D and SKS-M models), but most take SKS-specific mags. They will generally sell in the $250-450 range depending on type and condition.

Excellent resource for SKS info: Survivor's SKS Boards - Index

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    The russian one's are usually the one's you'll hear people rave about most, but they all work great. I have a chinese one with the ati stock, 4x scope, and I use the tapco 20 rnd mags. I highly recomend those magazines. Never had a single problem.

But no matter what country of origin, you'll still like the SKS. In my opinion, it is one of the most under rated rifle systems out there. Good luck and I hope to see some pics of a new one soon! :yesway:

By the way, I traded my mossberg 30-06 for my SKS lol.

Cherryspringer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Lafayette
    Sks

The Russian sks is the one you want. Very well built. Reliable and accurate( as an sks can be). The only problem I've ever had is with my 55 rd mag in and the problem is the mag. With 30 rd mags it never misses a lick even with the cheap stuff.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    The only reason I would ever choose an AK over an SKS is if the world truly ended and I needed the mag capacity.

The SKS is a more comfortable and more accurate rifle.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    Personally I like the Norinco. They are chrome lined like the Russians, but are substantially cheaper and easier to find. The Yugos are not chrome lined but have a grenade launcher (can be used to launch golf balls 100+ yards). I don't know much about the Romanians. The Albanians are harder to find and the ones I have seen have been in pretty rough shape.

On a scale of 1-10 I would give the Russians a 10, the Chinese about an 8.5-9, the Yugos are about a 7. The Albanians look like a 4, but are likely just as reliable as the others. I don't know how the Romies would rank.

I'm on my 2nd Norinco and the Tapco mags are a huge improvement over the steel extended capacity magazines. The Tapcos are easier to swap and feed better. However, the Tapco mags do not work well with stripper clips. If you want to use strippers stick with the original fixed magazine.

jwkidd3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2011
    I agree. I like the idea that I'd have another rifle to shoot the ammo that i have the most of. I've held one before but never fired one though. They vary in size correct? And is any certain country supreme to others when it comes to the SKS?

The ammo is the main reason I went ahead and bought the AK.. plus Cheaper than Dirt had the gun on sale for $399.

jwkidd3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2011
    Personally I like the Norinco. They are chrome lined like the Russians, but are substantially cheaper and easier to find. The Yugos are not chrome lined but have a grenade launcher (can be used to launch golf balls 100+ yards). I don't know much about the Romanians. The Albanians are harder to find and the ones I have seen have been in pretty rough shape.

On a scale of 1-10 I would give the Russians a 10, the Chinese about an 8.5-9, the Yugos are about a 7. The Albanians look like a 4, but are likely just as reliable as the others. I don't know how the Romies would rank.

I'm on my 2nd Norinco and the Tapco mags are a huge improvement over the steel extended capacity magazines. The Tapcos are easier to swap and feed better. However, the Tapco mags do not work well with stripper clips. If you want to use strippers stick with the original fixed magazine.

So far I like the way the Norinco shoots over the Yugo.

If someone is starting out and wants to get into an SKS for a good $$ go Yugo.

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Not wanting to hi jack but my questions is kinda close, How accurate is a SKS? Could I use it to hunt?(i know I can't hunt dear in Indiana) And if so how far 200 Yards?

sakima

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    New Albany, IN
    Which SKS?

I have only owned Russian and Norinco SKSs. Both have shot about the same for me, but the fit and finish has been better on the Russian ones I have owned. IMHO, if you want a shooter...the Norinco is GTG...and less expensive than the Russian ones.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Not wanting to hi jack but my questions is kinda close, How accurate is a SKS? Could I use it to hunt?(i know I can't hunt dear in Indiana) And if so how far 200 Yards?

The 7.62x39 cartridge is supposedly about the same power as a .30-06, so it would make a good hunting round. As for accuracy, SKSes are only moderately so. More accurate than AKs, but less so than ARs. It won't the best target shooting rifle, but you can put it on the paper target or bang steel out to 200 yards.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I really wish I had bought tons of them way back when they were cheap. I remember the Chinese ones being $50-75 each. I picked up an unfired Russian many years ago for $125 and every one of my friends told me I got ripped off. My wife really liked the stock and was interested in it so price didn't matter. I sold it to a friend a few years ago then bought it back. When I got it back the wood on the upper handguard had a small crack and had been painted black (to match the plastic folding stock that was now on it). The factory stock was still in perfect shape other than that.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    Most will shoot the same but why not get it from the source?

$$$
    Norincos can be bought for substantially less than Russians. If you want to have a better collector's item the Russian is the way to go. If you want a good shooting rifle for much less money, it's hard to beat the Chinese. The main reason I avoid Yugos is because they are not chrome lined. All of the surplus ammo is corrosive and the chrome lining can buy you a little more time to clean it & help it last longer if it's your SHTF rifle.

The 7.62x39 cartridge is supposedly about the same power as a .30-06, so it would make a good hunting round. As for accuracy, SKSes are only moderately so. More accurate than AKs, but less so than ARs. It won't the best target shooting rifle, but you can put it on the paper target or bang steel out to 200 yards.

The 7.62x39 is roughly equivalent to the .30-30, not the .30-06. If you want .30-06 power in a combloc rifle you gotta step up to a Mosin or similar 7.62x54 rifle. If the shooter is capable, most SKSes are accurate and powerful enough for deer inside of 150 yards. The challenge is finding soft point ammo since I don't know of any state that allows FMJ for deer hunting. If you want to use 7.62x39 in IN grab a Draco pistol. The round meets the pistol requirements but not the rifle requirements. :n00b::rolleyes: Dracos can typically be found for <$400, but I don't think it's the best choice for EDC. ;)

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    The 7.62x39 is roughly equivalent to the .30-30, not the .30-06. If you want .30-06 power in a combloc rifle you gotta step up to a Mosin or similar 7.62x54 rifle. If the shooter is capable, most SKSes are accurate and powerful enough for deer inside of 150 yards. The challenge is finding soft point ammo since I don't know of any state that allows FMJ for deer hunting. If you want to use 7.62x39 in IN grab a Draco pistol. The round meets the pistol requirements but not the rifle requirements. :n00b::rolleyes: Dracos can typically be found for <$400, but I don't think it's the best choice for EDC. ;)

I was hoping it would work as a coyote rifle.

Top Bottom