• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    Not going to whack this one this time :)

Got a Chinese SKS, and in disassembling, I find a bolt that runs through the magazine and stock. The bolt has a flat-head screw slot on one side, and the nut on the other side is round, and I can see the bottom of the bolt through it. and on either side of the nut-hole, there are two "paperclip sized" holes, and appears to require some kind of tool to hold it still so I can unscrew the bolt, as the nut is recessed to prevent grabbing with any pliers.

I've looked for diagrams to help identify the bolt and nut names so I can utilize my Google-fu, but can't find any diagrams that include those items.

Any info ID'ing the nut or removing tool would be appreciated.

Thanks.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    It's there for a "Chinese" reason, so ...

.... why remove it? Most of the captured guns we took in 'Nam had that recoil buffer-bolt. It does not need cleaning, and THERE IS NO SERIAL # to it, SO LEAVE IT BE. The front-sight adj tool works well on removal on most them I saw.
    Awesome -- thanks -- Recoil Lug Assembly was what I was wanting. Now I just need to figure out how to remove it :).

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    I just want to make sure it's clean. Came totally coated in grease. It was like examining my two year old after a day at the beach. "how'd you get sand THERE?!" :)

toomuchfun57

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    Think twice about going to the 30 round mag, I find it much easier to use the standard mag with stripper clips..just my opinion

jbdhere

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Floyd County
    I also like the stripper clips. With the stock gun, if you do change to mags, the only way to install or remove the mag is with the bolt back. However you can mod the bottom of the bolt to clear the mag lips if you want.

happyfiero

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Campbellsburg IN.
    hi
    your cross bolt does not need to come out.
    No reason to remove it.
    Pull the receiver pin up and take off the cover
    Take the spring ,bolt/carrier out. Flip it over and pop the release on the trigger group. your rifle should come out freeing the magazine.
    those 30s are junk for the most part, Tapo 20 is what i use

to use a removable mag some wood will need to be removed on the sides
    where the mag enters the stock ,that is all it should take

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Well, there's that, and it appears to be holding the magazine in, and should I want to add the 30-rounder I bought, I'll need to remove it :).

Think twice about going to the 30 round mag, I find it much easier to use the standard mag with stripper clips..just my opinion
    This ^^^ but not for the reason you mention (although it is a good reason).

Technically, that rifle was legal to import because it is exempt from 922R because it qualifies for sporting purposes if it has a fixed magazine. The instant you take the fixed magazine off and use a detachable magazine you need to comply with 922r. Which means you will have to replace a lot of the parts on the with USA made parts just to comply with the law. I recommend you just stick with the fixed mag for this reason.

Tims87gn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Floyds Knobs
    As mentioned above, don't mess with the cross bolt. There's no reason to remove it. I also would not go to a high cap mag on that, for the compliance issues also mentioned. Completely clean it and enjoy it as it was intended, plus it will retain value for the future. I've got five myself and have left all original except for sweating the stocks of their cosmoline and giving them a coat of Tru-oil.

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    hi
    your cross bolt does not need to come out.
    No reason to remove it.
    Pull the receiver pin up and take off the cover
    Take the spring ,bolt/carrier out. Flip it over and pop the release on the trigger group. your rifle should come out freeing the magazine.
    those 30s are junk for the most part, Tapo 20 is what i use

to use a removable mag some wood will need to be removed on the sides
    where the mag enters the stock ,that is all it should take

Thanks for the info fellas. I've been reading up on the 922r regs too, so I'll not be messing with it for some time until I know better how to replace parts. didn't even buy any stripper clips yet -- single loading is OK for the range anyway :).

I may be wrong, but I was pretty sure the bolt was going through the fixed mag, or at least there was a metal "rod" going across the inside of the magazine about the same place the bolt goes through the stock, and I had zero play trying to pull it out with all other parts (bolt, trigger set, etc) removed.

Thoughts?

happyfiero

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Campbellsburg IN.
    Hi
    a SKS was designed to come apart with JUst the tip of a 7.62 round .
    You should leave the cross bolt alone.
    Cleaning rod must be removed first ,the tip sits against the front of Mag.
    front of mag seat into the step built into the underside of barrel.
    that why with a after market mag you seat the bill , and rock and lock in the mag.
    Trust me
    underb3.jpg

Last edited:

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    I must be too afraid to break something old :). Had to give the mag a push from the inside of the top to get it to slide down. Thanks for the info. Now at least I don't have to mess with the cross bolt.

Top Bottom