• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I have random thoughts pop into my head from time to time:n00b: And the last one was "if you only had a single shot shotgun for home defense how would you set it up?". We have pump guns in our house but me and my brother set up every shotgun for HD no matter what the capacity is just in case thats all we can grab. I would think a 20" barrel with a 5 shell sleeve with 3 00buck in the front and 2 slugs in the back all of them brass down would do the trick and is how i set mine up (3 hornady critical defense 00buck and 2 brenneke tactical home defense brass down). So what say you? how would you set up a single shot for HD. Would you use a shell belt or ammo sleeve what kinda ammo would you use whats your barrel length Etc.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    A single shot, shot gun for home defense? Why not just use blow darts? haha just kidding... but forreal, that's probably the 2nd step up from a baseball bat, in saying, God forbid you miss, just grab that hot barrel and start swingin like Sosa

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Thats why we have pump guns and handguns too i would hate to have to go after someone if all i had was a single shot heck i might call 911 before i shoot lol. I was just thinking if god forbid that was all you had how would you set it up to your advantage.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Not much to go wrong, can be reloaded much faster then might be thought with practice, and can be left loaded longterm w/o worry of mag spring softening etc. Quick and easy to unload /secure. I have a 19" H&R 12GA set up much as you describe .
    It's not the first at bat but a good backup and I think better as a mainstay for those on the tightest budgets than some of the iffy el cheapo pumps or bottom feeder semiauto pistols.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Just add a bayonet and you're good to go!

The single shot is better that nothing by far but with prices of decent pump guns, it shouldn't bee that difficult to upgrade.

A sling would be something I'd add along with a decent set of sights (you still need to aim at close distances).

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    If all you can afford or all you have access to it a single shot I would say ok, better then nothing.. But to intentionally single out a single shot. Na. I'd pass. There is no tactical advantage to a single shot that I can see. You have a single shot in a pump gun just leave out the shells.:nuts:
    There is some merit to a double barrel. Two shots off really fast. But then you are reloading, I would pick a double over a single. Barrel length is a matter of preference. I have a 18.5 inch. My halls are narrow I can move around faster with it.

I have 2 pistols a shotgun and a rifle within reach of my bed. What ever I feel the situation warrants.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    If all you can afford or all you have access to it a single shot I would say ok, better then nothing.. But to intentionally single out a single shot. Na. I'd pass. There is no tactical advantage to a single shot that I can see. You have a single shot in a pump gun just leave out the shells.:nuts:
    There is some merit to a double barrel. Two shots off really fast. But then you are reloading, I would pick a double over a single. Barrel length is a matter of preference. I have a 18.5 inch. My halls are narrow I can move around faster with it.

I have 2 pistols a shotgun and a rifle within reach of my bed. What ever I feel the situation warrants.

Like what I hear.
    I have an AR under the bed, AK on a rack above the bed, and pistols placed all over the house hidden very very well.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I keep a handgun flashlight and pumpgun by my bed with a rifle near by JIC it gets rough. But what i was thinking if for whatever reason all you had was a single shot how would you set it up. I asked this to a couple guys i know and they always say they'd use a sling that has the loops for shell but i dont see that as a practical accessory. I also believe you should be able to put up a fight with ANY gun in your possesion. But if it was your one and only gun how would you do it....kind of fun and scary to think about.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I keep a handgun flashlight and pumpgun by my bed with a rifle near by JIC it gets rough. But what i was thinking if for whatever reason all you had was a single shot how would you set it up. I asked this to a couple guys i know and they always say they'd use a sling that has the loops for shell but i dont see that as a practical accessory. I also believe you should be able to put up a fight with ANY gun in your possesion. But if it was your one and only gun how would you do it....kind of fun and scary to think about.

I have a sling for my JIC but haven't mounted it yet. I look at the sling ask more handy for running around being prepared to shoot. Not as a need to have it beacuse someone knocked my door down. I have a reflex sight, flash, strobe (strobe is very annoying to the offender) and a laser that I really have no clue why I put it on. The Pachmyer grip was the second best investment. First was the strobe. And I have a 6 shell holder that mounts to the receiver. It is a blast to shoot. Fun for knocking down clays too. I get really weird looks.

I would say that the light/strobe would be the first addition. Then the shell holder. That would be a better single shot!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    For HD I would keep it light and stock. There is nothing I would add.

Then I would train with it and not miss.

A miss is unacceptable no matter the type of firearm.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I have hunted with guys with single shots. The ones that have experience rarely miss and if they do the can reload and shoot as fast as a pump and accurately.

You never have enough firepower to feel secure but a single shot will do the job depending on how many you need to defend against.
    It is a capable tool and one needs to know how to use the tools properly.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I agree with enough practice and training (cuz there is a difference) you should be able to put up a fight with any gun regardless of caliber or capacity. I can run a H&R single barrel pretty fast with a shell sleeve on the stock. I think a sleeve is all that is needed but some people go all out if thats all they have. I have a friend that keeps a H&R for HD but has it loaded with birdshot. I told him if he is going to use a single shot to feed it something better than bird.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    You just need a tactical 10.

Find an H&R 10 gauge, chop it to 18.5", spray paint it flat black and throw a shell caddy on the back. Maybe not the most practical thing, but it'll at least provide some entertainment most single shots won't.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    If only one attacker an you get a well placed shot then game over for the SOB. But if you have multiple people coming at you and they are all armed then you better be able to get cover while reloading. I guarantee I can rack my slide faster then you can break your barrel and drop a shell and snap shut. Just silly to think other wise. Especially if I am half asleep. I am not going to fumble with a shell in the dark.

If I were a invader and was armed and my buddy was shot I would fight. Not run and get one in the back. i am just looking at the bigger picture. JMHO.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I seen a guy that ground off the locking lug on a single shot and was able to load and shoot faster than ive ever seen any one shoot a pump. I know a single shot is no where near the best HD gun and that is why i have others this isnt a serious question (at least for me) just something fun to think about.

Top Bottom