• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    My .22 is built like a single barrel single shot shotgun, yanno shoot, break the barrel, and it ejects the spent casing. Well, this was working fine and dandy last night with some dummy rounds I bought at Gander Mountain. Today, I was firing some .22 Remington Subsonic rounds in Emilys (girlfriends) backyard. The spent shells wouldn't eject. What could be causing this? Any ideas? Any quick fixes? Thanks!!

Edit: I just tried ejecting non fired rounds, to see if it was the explosion that was causing this. It wouldn't eject the unfired shell as well. Which is leading me to believe that the casings on the subsonics are a little fatter than the dummy rounds.

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    Ran a bore snake through it last night when I got it. That and the dummy rounds were the first two things I bought after the rifle..

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Bore snakes are nice. Lots of guys like them. Sometimes a 22 chamber needs a good scrubbing with a brush. And an inspection.

Extractor might need a look too.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I can't see it very well in your small avatar picture, but I think most of those break-breach actions work about the same way; do you see an ejector pin as part of the chamber wall, or just outside it that extends when you break open the breach that would push on the rim of the fired brass and shoot it out of the chamber? You might check without a shell and see if you see something move alongside the chamber wall. If you see it, it may be that it has bent a bit outboard and is slipping over the rim of the brass rather than catching it and ejecting it from the chamber. Like I said, i can't see well enough in your picture, but there out to be something there that actuates as you hinge the action that pushes out the brass. its POSSIBLE there is an extractor with a hook that grabs the rim, but I think that's unlikely in your style of rifle.

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    Oh god, you are way over my head here gentlemen.. Haha, here is a better pic, maybe this can help ya'll help me..

IMAG0385.jpg

Right under the hole you put the bullet in (breech?) is where the extractor is.. It is on the outside, and it seems like it pops out and catches the very bottom of the rim of the bullet.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    i'd guess sticky ejector. Maybe too much oil, or old oil getting a little gummy. Does it eject (throw out) the spent case, or is it an extractor (you have to grab it out)? New England/ H&R ejectors can get sticky with too much oil. High chamber pressures can cause this as well.

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    Rossi. I am gonna give it a good cleaning tomorrow, and probably go pick up some CCI ammo before I head out to my buddys property. Gonna see if the ammo I was using was just weird.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Some ejectors have a spring that "unloads" the ejector lip and kicks out the spent casing. Some ejectors are just mechanical and work by moving as part of the breech kicking out the casing as the breech is opened.

Is the part that engages the rim of the casing loose or wobbly? If so I would think the ejector spring is broken. (if it has a spring)
    You should be able to find an exploded diagram of that rifle's action somewhere on the internet and see if there is a tiny spring associated with the ejector.

BTW, I have an old Harrington and Richardson, break open single shot in .218 Bee simliar to yours.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Update- I couldn't help it- had to see if the info was easy easy to find. Check out the link below for Rossi. If this is your gun or similiar you should be in good shape. Look in the "User Manual" section for the parts diagram...

Take a look at the parts diagram- item 5 is the extractor spring and item 8 is the extractor stop pin. "Carefully and gently" drive out the stop pin and the extractor will come out. It should come out easily. Be careful not to scratch up the area around. Clean that channel out real well. It could be all gunked up. Let us know how it turns out

Pappy

Rossi USA

Last edited:

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    Everything seemed to be in order. But I cleaned and oiled the whole gun down today. I am heading to the range tomorrow morning, and I will report back than.

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    Not any luck today at the range. I am gonna break it down again and wipe everything down. The ejector pushes the round out, but doesn't "spit" it out like it did with the dummy rounds.

Top Bottom