• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I've got two commemorative Henry rifles that are safe queens. I need to know how to wipe fingerprints and such off to prevent damage, of course, but I'm not sure what to use. I don't want to be stripping it down any as I'm notorious for buggering screws, but I know I can't just wipe it down with oil as that would damage the stock. What product could I use on the metal that if it did get on the wood wouldn't harm it?

I'm thinking those silicone gun wipes might work, but I'm not sure.

Experiences, INGO? Need to get around to this quick. A few prints have already set in the metal. There are no plans to ever sell these, but it is still nice to keep them looking nice.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Oy. First it was buying a rifle without a background check, now it's instructions for how to wipe a gun down for fingerprints.

is today ATF entrapment day?

cedarthicket

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    I have been using a small RIG rag (soaked in Rust Inhibiting Grease and the surplus squeezed out) for probably 30 to 40 years. I keep it in a small plastic sandwich bag or zip-lock bag. Never had to worry about rubbing over some of the wood next to the metal parts.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Wipe all metal down with Tri-Flow Tri-FlowTri-Flow® Superior Lubricant - 12 oz. Aerosol and will just about never have to worry about your fingerprint oils ever attaking the metal. This is some good stuff! Ive been using it for around 14 years now. One can will last you many many years. It also makes for a great lube for internal moving parts and corrosion preventative as well. Buy a can! You will thank me! Im sure there are local area dealers that carry it.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Lot's of good answers here guys. I'll look into them further.

I've heard standard oils will cause damage to the stock over time (many years) so that's why I was wanting to avoid them.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I have an old scope lens cloth I spray with RemOil and keep in a ziplock bag I wipe all my guns down with after fondling them. I don't have any rust or marks on any of them. I even use it after I've had my nice guns get wet in snow and rain.
    I don't know if it's the safest, fanciest, or latest technological fad, but I've been doing it since Remoil came out and I haven't found any good reason to change. Just my nickel's worth.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    What makes you think gun oil will harm your stock? A wipe down with a lightly oiled rag before a gun is stored is how its been done for centuries.

You know, I was getting ready to point out how many old guns have cracked stocks and the wood is oil soaked...and then I realized I really have no idea if the oil soaking contributed to the crack. Would those stocks have cracked regardless? Does oil really weaken the wood?

Dang it, now you've got me thinking about my preconceived notions. You know how I hate that.

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    I have used a Rig Rag for over 30 years. All firearms come out of the safe at least once a year for a cleaning. After they are cleaned they are wiped down with the Rig Rag and put into a gun sock. They are good to go for another year.

nater30/30

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    Grant County
    I'd lightly spray a diaper soft polishing cloth with WD-40 and wipe it down. WD-40 is surprising gentle on wood finish (if any would even happen to get on it). I've used it to scrub road tar off fenders with absolutely no ill effect on clear coat, as long as the cloth was soft enough. I've had it all over modern and old stock finishes with no ill effects. Surprisingly, in the firearms community, I never hear or see anyone ever talk about the good 'ole stuff...I couldn't imagine life without it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom