• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    just a curious question since i'm kinda new here; how does one begin to accumulate a stash of silver coinage to use as a monetary item in a SHTF scenario? I've checked lots on ebay and the actual spot prices for silver but I'm not sure that "junk" silver coinage would work. What are the reccommendations?:dunno:

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I recommend waiting until SHTF and then "appropriating" some.

Check out some dealers and I'm sure some on here will help you out. I don't worry about it much, myself.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    +1 for brads knifes. i bought a silver coin off of him at the 1500.. not much of a special or rare coin, but silver none the less.

also if shtf, it may not just need to be a silver coin. it could be silver bars/ingots to hand tools or junk laying around the yard. i may or may not be doing a good job at doing a small amount of prepping as im really not counting on the shtf, so i buy stuff i like to look at (that i can afford. i love gold but cant afford much of it)

Security122

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Southside of Indy
    I believe any dime, quarter, half dollar, or dollar coin minted 1964 and earlier will contain about 90% silver. So, you could just keep an eye out for the silver in your pocket.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Lakota Silver

I have some of these.

lakota%20silver2.jpg

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I believe any dime, quarter, half dollar, or dollar coin minted 1964 and earlier will contain about 90% silver. So, you could just keep an eye out for the silver in your pocket.

Very true. I found one the other day in my change from the cashier. I guess I was lucky, when my grandmother passed, she gave all of the grandchildren a coffee can of dimes, quarters, half dollars full dollars, and random coins and dollars. I procured most of my silver from that. She also used to give us a silver half dollar every year for our birthdays til we were 18. I still have all of those. Since then, I have purchased some from ebay, and sometimes I find them a garage sale.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County

Yep. Here's a link that has been posted here before, IIRC, that shows you the current value of those coins.

Silver Coin Melt Values - Coinflation.com (Updated Daily)

Does anyone know how many of these coins are still in circulation? Or some sort of percentage? For example, if I were to go buy ten $10 rolls of quarters, how many do you think I would get (1964 and earlier). I have thought of doing this, but was just curious if it would be worth my time.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Does anyone know how many of these coins are still in circulation? Or some sort of percentage? For example, if I were to go buy ten $10 rolls of quarters, how many do you think I would get (1964 and earlier). I have thought of doing this, but was just curious if it would be worth my time.

Because of the collectors, I think it would honestly be a crap shoot. I don't think its a substantial percentage that you would get any consequential amount in your ten dollars of quarters. You might be better off going online or to a store, and investing that ten in a guarantee of silver.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    just a curious question since i'm kinda new here; how does one begin to accumulate a stash of silver coinage to use as a monetary item in a SHTF scenario? I've checked lots on ebay and the actual spot prices for silver but I'm not sure that "junk" silver coinage would work. What are the reccommendations?:dunno:

Educate yourself some before you buy and shop around ! Know what you think would best accomplish what you want. What might be best for barter, might not be best for a simple investment.

You have several choices... Some I feel are better than others... A few examples would be common date pre 1964 coin silver ( dimes, halves, and quarters)... Another option would be the older Morgan and Peace dollars. They also have the same benefits of silver content, but come with a bit higher premium due to they are older than just pre 1964. Other options are bullion in common forms such as bars or rounds in various sizes usually ranging in 1 oz to 100 oz pieces... Lastly are the American silver Eagles. These right now are going for a very high premium and would take a large jump in value for you to ever recover your money in the event you decided to sell...

troy28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    Behind the crosshairs
    If you really want silver i would suggest getting it mostly in junk silver coins of small quantities. It's a lot easier to add a second dime to a trade if need be then give up a quarter and over pay cause it's the only quantity you have.

On the other hand. If we are at the point we need to trade in silver. I bet the guy with the bullet in the chamber will always win the better trade.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    A buddy tells me stories about his parent's farm in Oklahoma during the Depression and Dust Bowl days. People would show up to the farm with hand fulls of gold jewelry looking for food. My buddy's parents would tell them to keep their gold and go out back and feed and clean up after the pigs and horses for a meal when they were done.

You can't eat gold or silver. I concentrate on other consumable items that I need.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    A buddy tells me stories about his parent's farm in Oklahoma during the Depression and Dust Bowl days. People would show up to the farm with hand fulls of gold jewelry looking for food. My buddy's parents would tell them to keep their gold and go out back and feed and clean up after the pigs and horses for a meal when they were done.

You can't eat gold or silver. I concentrate on other consumable items that I need.

Today, I would definately agree with that statement ! With silver going over $26.00 an oz, a person could add (6) to (8) #10 cans of Mountain House canned food to their preps for what they would spend on a measly 10 ounce bar....

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    Putting your money in just about any commodity these days will be better than cash or stocks.

Silver/Gold is good. So is food, ammo, and other stuff. Heck, just google cotton prices and see how bad that's been lately.

So, the thing to do is: sell me your silver and take the cash I give you and buy food with it :)

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Putting your money in just about any commodity these days will be better than cash or stocks.

Silver/Gold is good. So is food, ammo, and other stuff. Heck, just google cotton prices and see how bad that's been lately.

So, the thing to do is: sell me your silver and take the cash I give you and buy food with it :)

:rolleyes:.....quit trying to hoard it all!!! :D

Brown

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Make sure you have a good supply of food and ammo first. after that the best place I have found is the local shops that advertise to buy gold. they usually have junk silver to sell and it is closer to spot than buying on ebay or from internet sales.

If you try to accumulate at the bank by buying rolls of quarters and dimes belive me they are few and far in between. We have done it and the kids treat it like a treasure hunt. you might sort through hundreds of coins to find one. but at least that one is at face value and not a high premium!

check out your local coin shops,consigment shops,gold buyers

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Several years back I used to tinker around with jewelry making, and some of the supply catalogs had silver shot for casting, and the prices seemed really reasonable (back then, below spot even if I remember right).

Always wanted to buy some to cast some silver bullets just for fun and conversation pieces...

riogrande.com has sterling casting grain at $29.12/troy oz., doesn't look like as good of a deal anymore... Still would be fun to cast and load some silver bullets though...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Thanks for the quick and positive responses. I thought probably that it would be cost prohibitive to start at this point, but the better half works in the banking industry and brings silver home whenever she finds it. We have a nice little collection going and wanted to add to it but will just keep going the way we are I guess.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Set aside a portion of your prep money for emergencies. Have a small stash of cash on hand for list minute trips to the gas station or the grocery store. Meanwhile, start researching sources of silver and gold coins. Once you build up a small stash of cash keep adding to it. Use the overage to occasionally buy a silver coin. Before you know it you will have a nice stash of cash and precious metals for SHTF. The key is patience. Take your time, set aside what you can afford and don't neglect your other preps. As SemperFi pointed out above, you can't eat silver. Portion out your spare money for food, water, ammo, guns, medical supplies and other preps. Let it build over time. Precious metals are a luxury prep compared to ammo, food and medicine.

Top Bottom