• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TGUNTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Plainfield
    I have done a lot of shooting before but need a little advice. I am shooting a 17hmr but when zeroed at 50yrds it is 3/4in right at 100yrds. If zeroed at 100yrds then 3/4 left at 50yrds. It is a Savage and does not have windage adjustable rings. Is this the route I need to go or is there something I am not thinking about?

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Wind? or maybe Trigger pull.

I would have multiple folks shoot it on the same day with the same conditions. I would also try to get a hold of a lead sled if possible.

jghelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    May 12, 2010
    logansport IN
    hmmmm....trigger maybe but i had an experience once with the scope not being square ...i mean think about it moa.....doesnt take much to be off that much...just a thought ...im not an expert though ....thanks for viewing

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Remember there is a difference between precision and accurate.

If your groups are tight, that means the variables are within good acceptable limits. The biggest being the shooter. So the gun is consistent, the ammo consistent, and you are doing a good job shooting the same way every time you pull the trigger. You still might be pulling the rifle too hard when you are pulling though, or in other cases anticipating recoil.

I would try to get some time on a lead sled to prove the rifle, if you want to have a piece of mind about it. The other variable is the optic isn't holding true or parallex. (2 different issues)

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    welcome to the wind effects on a light bullet. i would almost garentee it is the wind that is causeing your delima. it doesn't take much wind at all to move a 17 cal bullet 3/4 of a inch.

i bet if had shot at 75 yds you would have been 1/4 inch right with your 50 yd zero

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    is you zero near the max limit of your adjustment range? check by counting how many clicks either direction of your zero you have remaining. if you have more than a few moa, then you do not need windage adjustable rings.

more than likely you are experiencing some wind effects. like vette said, it doesnt take hardly any wind at all to move a 17hmr bullet 3/4 of an inch.

Top Bottom