• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Smokey56

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2012
    Hi Folks, I have a problem with my Sig M11 A1. Up until a couple of weeks ago my gun was flawless, no ftf/ftf. after coming from the range i carried it daily. Went to the range last week, and loaded up, pulled the trigger and the hammer moved forward, but it did not hit the firing pin. After several unsuccessful attempts to fire the weapon i went home and broke the weapon down. I use frog lube as a lubricant, and have never had any problems. Does anyone have any ideas whats going on with the weapon ?

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    I used to use froglube as well. It can really gum up the action of a gun if it gets too thick, which is relatively easy to do since it flows pretty well when warm. I don't know if it's the issue, but I'd look at it.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Hate to jump all over the FrogLube bandwagon, but these kinds of problems are precisely why I won't even think about using it.
    There are just WAY too many issues where it's involved vs. those where it isn't. At least 10:1 and probably more like 100:1

Sounds like it's time for a detail strip and a really good cleaning. Get those tools and brushes out!

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    If it has gummed up in the firing pin channel which may be it you will need a few punches and 1 odd shaped one or a really small one to get all that out. Its not hard stripping an e2 slide just a little bit involved.

Can you push on the back of the firing pin with the firing pin block depressed and see if the firing pin is actually moving fore and aft?

Also with the GUN UNLOADED MAKE SURE ITS UNLOADED see what happens when you pull the trigger and hold the trigger to the rear, see if you can push the hammer forward to make it contact the back of the firing pin.

If it can do both of those chances are that you have some sort of issue with the main spring. However it is feasible i suppose that it could be an issue in the sear however i see that being extremely unlikely.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I used to use froglube as well. It can really gum up the action of a gun if it gets too thick, which is relatively easy to do since it flows pretty well when warm. I don't know if it's the issue, but I'd look at it.

It congeals because it is actually hydrogenated Coconut oil with other additives to stabilize it from room temperature to sub freezing. Look it up.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I've been using the Lucas synthetic gun oil for a few years now, it does it's job well. It's never gummed up for me although it does dry out a little over time but does leave a slippery film.

HnK

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    The last 1911 I saw cam with grease. Maybe they put oil is some other guns. Not really sure.

Top Bottom