• Sig p226 vs Glock 17

• Total voters

elpenguin0717

Marksman
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    indy
    sigs cost more but well worth it i feel they have made the best 9mm handgun period plus there a thing of beauty that i would be proud to hand down........you have to shoot one to truly understand and feel the diffrence in the grip of the sig for me atleast is a match made in heaven for my hands so much so that i dont carry a 1911 any more open carry my p226 elite now

NavyVet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Marshall County
    All I can tell you is that my G17 has never misfired. I completely trust it to do the same when I need it. If everytime you hit the bang switch and it fires, it is a good gun. The G17 also seems to consistently put the round right where I point it.

Never fired the Sig P226. May have to rent one next time.

jackadew

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Washington Co.
    IMO the g17 is a fine dependable pistol...but the first thing you will want to do is replace the plastic sights, plastic guide rod, work on the trigger. The Sig p226 needs nothing but a nice holster and some ammo.

wintram

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Sig! end of disscussion! But seriously the glock is a quality pistol but the fit and feel are just not there. Most people that shoot a sig for the first time will want to buy one if they can afford it. If they can't they buy a glock

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    IMO the g17 is a fine dependable pistol...but the first thing you will want to do is replace the plastic sights, plastic guide rod, work on the trigger. The Sig p226 needs nothing but a nice holster and some ammo.

The Sig p226 needs nothing but a nice holster and some ammo.

AND---

1. A lot fatter wallet.

2. More time/patience to FIND holsters-magazines-accessories.

3. More padding on your body to cushion all the levers/extra stuff on the Sigs.

4. The proper mindset to operate all of these extra/unnecessary switches+levers.

But, yes, as you say the Sigs are good to go..Bill.

elpenguin0717

Marksman
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    indy
    The Sig p226 needs nothing but a nice holster and some ammo.

AND---

1. A lot fatter wallet.

2. More time/patience to FIND holsters-magazines-accessories.

3. More padding on your body to cushion all the levers/extra stuff on the Sigs.

4. The proper mindset to operate all of these extra/unnecessary switches+levers.

But, yes, as you say the Sigs are good to go..Bill.
    the p226 only has 1switch that isnt found on most guns the decocker but other than that oull only find the slide release and takedown lever which is alot easier to use than glocks plus you dont have to pull the trigger to take apart........ you make it sound as if the sig as 20levers...... when it only has 3total but if you count the glocks right and left switch to open the gun plus the slide release you have 3 aswell and you already need alot of cushion to carry a glock the thing is a brick

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    the p226 only has 1switch that isnt found on most guns the decocker but other than that oull only find the slide release and takedown lever which is alot easier to use than glocks plus you dont have to pull the trigger to take apart........ you make it sound as if the sig as 20levers...... when it only has 3total but if you count the glocks right and left switch to open the gun plus the slide release you have 3 aswell and you already need alot of cushion to carry a glock the thing is a brick

Easier take down than a Glock?! :n00b: You use the term "easy" in a subjective manner, everyone has their own tastes. The take down leaver for the Glock isn't two pieces like you've stated, it's only one piece that goes through the frame of the pistol. The Glock is lighter as well, which equates to a more comfortable carry experience IMO.

EDIT: I love my Sigs, but I choose to carry my Glocks day in and day out for good reason.

elpenguin0717

Marksman
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    indy
    we should race and see what pistol takes down faster lol cause iv owned both and i can do the sig way faster lock it back and flip switch down release slide lock im done

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    They are really very different. If best is that it will fire consistently when needed, it has to be a tie. Like many things it depends on the mission. The Glock is lighter, but on a duty belt that is probably negligible. I have a 17 and like it for what it was designed to do, but shoot tighter groups with a Sig. Both are great weapons IMO.

elpenguin0717

Marksman
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    indy
    Sig makes awesome rainbow guns. That is total win in my book!

mod please delete above post that is suppose to be a dark kept secert deep in the closest it came out of lol hahahahahahahahA........youv broken the code of silence between sig owners ......we dont speak of those guns ........,....ever!!!

blitzen25cat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    south east indiana
    My duty weapon was a Sig P226 in 9mm. After certification a bunch of us would shoot each other's duty weapons. I've shot some Glocks and they are nice guns. There is just something about the Sig P226 that just fits me like a glove. The only modification I've made on mine was to put a set of Hogue grips. Best regards Dick:ingo:

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    we should race and see what pistol takes down faster lol cause iv owned both and i can do the sig way faster lock it back and flip switch down release slide lock im done

I still own both. I have two G19's, a 17, a P239 and a P226. Both manufacturers have implicated extremely easy take downs. I'm comfortable with both. I don't know how we'd "race" exactly. Make videos? :dunno:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave

you make it sound as if the sig as 20levers

Well, you're right--Heck I've never owned a Sig..Just got my first Glock a couple of years ago.

It's been a LONG way from my S&W revolvers..HA HA....Bill.

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    The only reason I would carry a Glock over a Sig is:God forbid I would ever need to use it - I would not want a case file engraved in my Sig.....

Other that that - Sig all the way!!

RandomCubed

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I'd say Sig but I want to preface it by saying that its all in how it feels to you and what you can afford. I personally can't stand the way Glocks feel in my hand, I don't like the way they point, but thats me. If a Glock works for you, then thats great, the cost factor certainly isn't anything to sneeze at.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    The Glock and Sig 226 are both excellent pistols. Accuracy and reliability are a toss up on both pistols. It really comes down to whether you want a polymer, striker fired gun or a metal DA/SA gun. Their really is no wrong choice. :D

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    If you are the type of person who has to follow the crowd, go with the Glock. There may be more Glock owners than Sig owners on INGO, but I've found the Sig to be an excellent gun! The trigger is great in DA or SA. It can be field stripped without having the desire to throw the thing against a wall. Also, it's as reliable as any of the better firearms on the market. Lastly, I can shoot whatever I want (jacketed or straight lead) without the manufacturer warning me.

Holster, mags, etc., are just as easy to find for the Sig as it is for the Glock. You can also find some very nice grips that suite your style and many sight options.

Still, I would tell anyone that the Glock is a solid handgun, but I just prefer the Sig. See if you can shoot both to make an informed decision.

Top Bottom