• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sms9510

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Marion, IN
    I am interested to find out if anyone has had long term experience with a 2nd generation 556R. By the time I tacticool out one my AK's I could buy one of these...if they ever come back into stock for the regular price.

Horse

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    By the time you get one to run lights out like a factory built AK you could have purchased the AK AND great optics etc.

Still not combat reliable.

sms9510

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Marion, IN
    I have two Polish Underfolders (1981) on NDS receivers. I was thinking of tricking one out with an Ultimak rail and a micro red sight (co-witness), small flash light hanging of the ultimak somehow. A new grip, lower handguard, etc. Already has G2 trigger. Does come out to be about the same price. Just don't know.

sms9510

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Marion, IN
    Yes I saw his videos and read all the stuff in forums, Youtube, that I could find but none of it seems very recent. Suarez had 3000 rounds plus through his and says no problems. I would like to see what its doing at 10,000 rounds.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    By the time you get one to run lights out like a factory built AK you could have purchased the AK AND great optics etc.

Still not combat reliable.

Though I still like AKs, and love my Vepr 308, the556 is now my goto rifle, and I have definitely not found your comment to be the case.

sms9510

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Marion, IN
    Though I still like AKs, and love my Vepr 308, the556 is now my goto rifle, and I have definitely not found your comment to be the case.
    I see you are on his staff. What is the latest scoop on the 556R? Even if I just bought an IO AK and an Eotech I would have $1300.00 in it let alone buying an Arsenal and optics.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I see you are on his staff. What is the latest scoop on the 556R? Even if I just bought an IO AK and an Eotech I would have $1300.00 in it let alone buying an Arsenal and optics.

Sorry, no scoop here. I am waiting like everyone else, (for another one). btw, where were you going to mount that Eotech on the AK?

Horse

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    Based on Sig USA track record for proper build quality and assembly, I'll continue to pass.
    I know people who have dealt with lots of thousands of Sigs lately and had to send them back. These are FMS deals - foreign mil/Leo sales, where they had to send the entire production run back because they wouldn't run.

The only Sig I would trust is built in Europe.

sms9510

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Marion, IN
    I was thinking more Aimpoint T1 style optics. I have the Bushnell trs 25 and I like it on my AR. We'll see if it can handle life on an AK. Keep the footprint small, light, and still co-witness with the irons. Still can't decide about the lower hand guard. AK 74 style or slotted brake, Ergo or Houge grip. I flipped the underfolder hardware for a lefty and use a single point sling. Various flavors of mags.

sms9510

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Marion, IN
    Based on Sig USA track record for proper build quality and assembly, I'll continue to pass.
    I know people who have dealt with lots of thousands of Sigs lately and had to send them back. These are FMS deals - foreign mil/Leo sales, where they had to send the entire production run back because they wouldn't run.

The only Sig I would trust is built in Europe.
    Disappointed to hear that. I would hope our American workers would take more pride in their work or they were not trained well.

sms9510

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Marion, IN
    Sorry, no scoop here. I am waiting like everyone else, (for another one). btw, where were you going to mount that Eotech on the AK?
    My Eotech 552 is on my other AR. From what I have read and seen in video, shooter seemed to prefer the lower sitting optics. I am new to AK's but the more I am around them the more I like them.

sms9510

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Marion, IN
    My Eotech 552 is on my other AR. From what I have read and seen in video, shooters seemed to prefer the lower sitting optics. I am new to AK's but the more I am around them the more I like them.

Horse

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    Disappointed to hear that. I would hope our American workers would take more pride in their work or they were not trained well.

I'm not sure it's worker derived.
    I don't have access to their technical drawings, but I would put money on them not being the same as the Swiss ones. Something isn't quite right with them, and I think it's either part design or material specification.
    That is the reason you see some that are perfect and others tht are so bad they can't clear a whole magazine without malfunctions.

Bottlefed

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Hamilton county
    I loved mine but it hated steel ammo. Brass was great but I know have milled ak's and wouldn't go back. My krink will be buried with me where my 556r was inferior in to many ways.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Wow, wow, wow. I am truely surprised by the negativity on this gun. I have seen no less than 50 of these since we started selling the 2nd gen, and have yet to see any of these types of problems. The testing on my two (556 and 556R) has slowed down considerably thanks to the ammo availabilty issue, but I have passed the 3,000 rd mark on both without a single malfunction yet. This is in stark contrast to how bad many of the AK's were getting. We gave up on the Saigas because so many of them had to be reworked to get them right. Like I said earlier though, my VEPR is top notch.

Horse

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    This is in stark contrast to how bad many of the AK's were getting. We gave up on the Saigas because so many of them had to be reworked to get them right. Like I said earlier though, my VEPR is top notch.

Yeah- a lot of AK's have been coming in ROUGH!! And that is not even counting someone's random home build nightmare.

Have you seen the new VEPR's with the hacked up "2x4" stocks?
    :noway::noway:

sms9510

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Marion, IN
    Yeah- a lot of AK's have been coming in ROUGH!! And that is not even counting someone's random home build nightmare.

Have you seen the new VEPR's with the hacked up "2x4" stocks?
    :noway::noway:
    My Polish Underfolders were AK Builder kits and they are very nice. Chrome lined hammer forged barrels. I put the kits on Nodak Spud receivers. Turned out very nice and shoot very well although I have nothing to compare them to because they are the first ones I have ever owned.

Top Bottom