• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I've seen alot of talk on here about what kind of vehicle you would want for SHTF, has anyone started to outfit one yet?

I plan on getting started on my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee the end of summer. It's obviously 4x4 and has the 4.0L I-6. It has 91,xxx miles and when it hits 100k it's starting the transformation....Here is the plan....

-3'' lift- not too high to break parts easily
    -31x10.50x15 tires - easily found
    -mounting holsters inside in case of a bug out event
    -maybe a roof mounted (inside) long gun rack
    -spare air/oil filters plus plugs and oil
    -steel bumpers for front and rear to plow down zombies
    -offroad light rack to blind zombies
    -stock it full of first aid and emergency supplies

MarkM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Any running bronco with removable top. For one reason mounted rifles. Just pop the top and when the SHTF mow down some bad guys.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    lol hopefully in shtf situation the gas stations are still full and no emp's have gone off. imo your best bet is something simple that anyone can fix and parts readily available, and stored inside a microwave :) again its nice but a bike with a small trailer and some extra tires and a pump will probably get you further or at least attach it to the back of your jeep for when you run out of gas. i am drunk and just talking but

in all reality keep some stuff that is man powered and won't require serious maintenance, and is easily repaired by glue and duct tape. just saying

though by all means do use this as a excuse to pimp your ride

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    What if the SHTF comes in the form of an EMP? I would get a mid 70's vehicle, four wheel drive. Suburban, Bronco, Truck or Jeep.

I would also have some spare parts stashed in a fariday (spelling?) box. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, alternator, starter and ignition.

Or you could go this route....

YouTube - riding a donkey cart in sibi

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    If I believed in the need for a SHTF vehicle it sure as heck would not be a gasoline powered vehicle. It would be an older diesel with the ability to also run on bio-diesel, I'd also invest in a small home bio-diesel brewer so I could make my own fuel.

Further the vehicle would have minimal electronic components, wouldn't want an EMP from a distant nuke to take out the vehicles electronic system.

But as I say, I don't really believe in such stuff.

kadetklapp

shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    West-Central Indiana
    I too have a '04 Grand Cherokee. Mine has 104k and a V8.

That being said, it's a fuel hog, doesn't have nearly enough factory ride height, and is obvious very susceptible to EMP.

However, I do plan on doing a 2" BB, some more aggressive Goodyears, recovery points in the front.

An older diesel is the best to have, however.

P-Shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Assuming it's not an "EMP Event", in addition to oil and filters you might want to keep some extra hoses and vital parts handy. Plugs, wires, U-Joints, fuses, etc. Don't forget about a quality tire patch kit, and a winch or come-a-long for some self recovery. Remember, bigger tires will add to your off road capability, but will also decrease your mileage. If we get bombed back to the stone age, a horse and buggy will be high tech, but until that point, a running vehicle will get you to where you want to be faster, even if you're out of gas when you get there.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    1119648.jpg

Pros:
    Simple, quit, low profile, allows hands free operation for manipulating other things, non-existent logistical chain.

Cons:
    Slow, requires one to be in relatively good shape, limited hauling capacity, limited range.

Depending on location, Horses would probably be a good call. Worked for humans for centuries in extremely primitive conditions.

I like the bike idea too.

As much as I'd like a good reason to build a sweet off-road rig, it doesn't seem to make a whole lotta sense in the long run. IF the SHTF, parts are going to get rare pretty quick and fuel will get pretty scarce with all the refineries and supply chain down. If there is a nuke/EMP type event, I'd imagine what's in the tanks at the stations is going to be pretty much the extent of fuel. They get resupplied every few days under normal conditions. Under SHTF, it'll be gone in hours and that'll be it. No more. Unless you have a big storage tank, my SWAG is that you've got maybe a month or two before all gasoline is gone, and the cost in terms of barter goods or whatever is the currency is, is going to be insanely high.

I suppose biodiesel is a better alternative, since the fuel can be made yourself, but all the other odds and ends you need to keep a vehicle running for any length of time are going to be pretty hard to come by. I don't have the foggiest clue what one needs to make biodiesel, though.

Just thinking aloud (well not really aloud, but on the screen) here. I guess it really depends on what variety of S is HTF, too.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    95 chevy K2500 Surburban 6.5l turbo 3" lift 305's....will run veg-diesel...the ton truck in the front is a 6.5l turbo too...
    33adv74.jpg

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I've been giving this a lot of thought lately. There's really 2 types of SHTF. The SHTF that is catastrophic and "may" happen and the SHTF that happens every year (weather related mostly).

For the regularly scheduled SHTF - The truck I use is a 97 4x4 F150. I'm a cat adjuster and it looks like a big hurricane year so I literally have to drive into areas where the S has just HTF. A pickup truck has worked well for me for everything I've had to drive into thus far. There are 3 modifications I want to add to it this year. I'm putting a winch on the front. I'm adding a lockable cross over tool box and I'm looking into different lighting options for up front. Not sure what I'm going to add but something to get a good look at the road further out at night if I need to.

For the SFTF that "may" happen, I want a deuce and a half with a couple barrels of diesel in the back but unless you're in the country - where the heck do you keep it? This may be a reason to buy a couple acres in the boonies, put up a metal shed retrofitted to be a Faraday cage - but within a relatively short distance of "home". Getting to it would be tough but a couple of guys have mentioned bicycles. It's easy enough to get a small, pull start motor engine for a bicycle for under 200 bucks. Those suckers go for miles and can get up to 30 mph or more pretty easily.

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    I thought that this always was the way travel when the SHTF.

In operates on bio-fuel and water, producing fertilizer, and is environmentally friendly.

Soldier-Riding-Horse-001.jpg

Top Bottom