• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Bloomington
    Say shtf happens and you find yourself in a bug out situtation... do you take your dog?

Personally, I would... dogs are good for several things such as watchdog, hunting, warmth when its cold, companionship, you could even make some sort of harness to have it help carry your gear. There is enough water around here that the dog would not draw off of your water supply at all, and it should be able to find food for itself and/or eat your scraps.

What do you guys think?

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    I guess it all depends on what kind of person you are. My dog is part of the family and Im sure she would come in handy. So for me yes, my dog would be going!

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I would like to, but mine is too domesticated and is just another mouth to feed. I know that he has a primitive instinct and would go back to that, but he would be too much of a hindrance.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    My dog would be a valuable asset if I had to bug out.

1 Security. hears sees and smells better then I do.
    2 Companion. could get rather lonely I'd rather talk to the dog then trees
    3 Source of food. brings me special furry presents any time I leave her out unattended
    4 Warmth. Last time i went camping I took her she raises the temp in a sleeping bag about 10 degrees

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    No.

My dogs are domesticated. It would take just as long for me to feed them as it would I. Also, I do not want to be wondering around looking for a dog if I'm bugging out if she decides to run off for some reason. Also, my dog is not trained to follow me, so I don't want a dog walking around that could give away my position if it is a hostile environment. My dogs could not take down a person - border collie, old, old lab, blue heeler - and they don't hunt. They have little to offer me in that situation.

Dog stays where it is.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    From The Patriots (paraquote) During the deepest years of SHTF off the grid... "The dogs scared off the wild game and welcomed trespassers without a single warning to those who worked the property....the next winter we ate the dogs".

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Is the dog like this one?
    canecorso2.jpg

or like this one?
    littledog2.jpg

If the latter I say "see ya!" it won't even give me a good meal. LOL!

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Both my last dogs would have gone with me. One was a Norwegian Elkhound that stayed close and was a great watch dog. The other was a Gordon Setter. He would wander away from you but would always come back to you ever little while. Very quiet in the woods and a great hunter. He was always catching something and bringing it back to share. The Norwegian died within three weeks of me getting the Setter. The two of them would have been great to have as a pair.

I need to replace the Setter, he died this last fall.

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    There is no question at all that my dog would go. He is a loyal, smart dog. He is trained and obedient. He has beagle in him and is a natural at telling me which tree a squirrel is in or where a rabbit is hiding. I have encouraged his bark when anyone or anything is outside since he was a puppy. I would be happy to feed him along with my wife and myself.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    Guns, survival gear, dog, wife

In that order.
    I have a lab and wouldn't think of leaving her. She is a great watch dog and sounds very intimidating (although wouldnt hurt a flea) I have always said, if your gonna have a dog, why not have a hunting dog?
    She can help me find and retrieve game
    Keeps me company
    Keeps me warm
    She can carry a pack
    She can kill small game without me having to shoot my firearm
    She can save me from drowning
    I could make some purdy chocolate moccasins from her pelt
    And, hate to think of it, but as a last resort, would probably sustain my diet for a month at least if need be. :twocents:
    Ummm,,,. Bailey where'd you go? Come girl!

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    My wife is the administrator of a veterinary hospital in Fort Wayne so our dog has his own "emergency" or SHTF supplies stocked up. Dog meds, food, and everything else a dog needs to weather a dire situation. We have already made plans on what to do with him in a tornado or weather related event. He will definitely be with us what ever happens.

Top Bottom