• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Should have told the guy it was for a 9mm AR and he didn't have/need a LTCH. That would have left him stuttering.

Even for a handgun I dont see why you would need to show a LTCH.
    You can own a hangun, be over 21 but not carry it and yet purchase ammo legally.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I think we have the extreme opposite in our walmart. I've seen the casier sell ammo to what I know had to be 12yrld kids.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Buy your ammo at Rural King.
    CindyE like me are in NWI and there are no near by RKs here.

And maybe he just said "License" and you assumed LTCH?
    OR was he OC? I mean, I would argue with asking to see my ltch, but it beats the heck out of him freaking out and calling 911 saying there is a guy in the store with a gun, Stupid is as stupid does.....if you were OC and he noticed you were that is.
    Either way, I would have at least questioned why he needed to see it. :twocents:

OP did the clerk ask for the LTCH (by name) or just "license".
    The wal-mart cash register software gives the cashier a prompt for DOB on certain items that are scanned (ie. liquor, ammo). Unless a DOB is enter the cashier cannot continue the transaction. Any DOB will work, however the software calculates the current age based on what the cashier put in. If it's under 18 the machine says something to the effect of no sale or underage, etc..

Was he in Illinois? Over there you have to have an FIOD card to buy ammo and the Indiana LTCH is an acceptable substitute.

Another posibility since OP is in NWI and there are "some" wal-marts on our border but it would be crazy to go there to buy ammo and pay the IL tax rate.

-Jedi

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My husband told me today that he was at a Walmart, and the salesclerk/cashier asked to see his LTCH to purchase 9mm ammo. I don't recall ever being asked for that. Anyone know what's up with that? :dunno:

I've been asked to see my ID...but never my LTCH at Wally world. And I OC/CC there all the time, I buy the Winchester White box ammo 9mm, 100 rounds, for $22.97

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I OC a LOT.
    I could care less what some Nancy-Boy behind the Counter at Walmart thinks about me OC'ing.
    Call 911, I know the Law, I know the Walmart Corp Policy in regards to me OC'ing in their establishment as well. I would make damn sure I got there names right so when I fire off my letter to Corp they know who to talk to about loosing money in revenue... ;)

Losing.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I have had that happen once, too. It was a Walmart close to the IL border. It was an in store policy because they were close to IL and wanted to make sure they were selling to IN residents. They probably would have taken my DL, but once they explained their reasoning, I didn't really care.

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    It's wal mart dammit! They make their OWN laws!.

Plus 1 on that! :)

I would contact the manager and send a certified letter to Corporate. Sounds like a new employee error and is in need of training. You know they don't hire the brightest spuds in the group of potatoes.

Another thing to think of is whether you might possibly be carrying concealed to keep from getting robbed heading out the door with your newly purchased ammo???

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I suspect what happened was that they asked him if the ammo was FOR a handgun... that's a standard Walmart response... Maybe the clerk misunderstood their training...

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    My walmart here in Seymour has never asked for a license of any kind.I don't think every walmart can be judged by your experiences. Last time I went to the local Target,Rural King,Tractor Supply,Meijer,or Kroger I was not checked out by any better people than at walmart-sorry,but higher price doesn't always mean better service.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    It sounds like something we can expect from the wonderfully knowledgeable staff at Wal-Mart... Look, it was probably just a new guy, or just someone who didn't know the policy and was making up his own rules. There is no need to get worked up over it. Next time the sales guy asks you for your LTCH, explain politely that law does not require showing the LTCH, and Wal-Mart doesn't make it a policy to require the LTCH. If he doesn't believe you, ask to see the manager.

So how the heck did you manage to find someone to sell you ammo at Wal-Mart? How long did you have to wait?

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I'm not all that concerned about it, I was just curious, since we've never been asked before. I was looking at something else, and walked up as my husband was finishing the transaction, so i didn't hear exactly what was said. The salesperson wasn't anyone new, i think he even sold me ammo before. My husband is in his early 50s, so i don't think age would be in question. He is kind of hard of hearing and gets distracted, so he may have misunderstood, i guess. When i asked him about it again today, he said he thought the guy said "permit". We'll see what happens if we buy from there again.

Top Bottom