• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock_Man_21

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Avon
    Wanted to know other peoples opinion on the subject. Reason being is my step daughter is in girl scouts and my 2 youngest boys are in boy scouts and when found out they get to shoot bows and bb guns at camp this year she was jealous. She asked her scout leader about it and her reply was that girls didn't need to learn to shoot. Don't know about anyone else but that is BS! Think a girl should learn to shoot just the same as boys. I have taken her out shooting with the boys a few times and she loves it. My older daughter used to but she is in her girly girl phase now and doesn't wanna go anymore, hopefully she grows out of it.

canamscott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    LaGrange County
    Of course they should! For many years I worked with girl scouts on many outdoors skills. Last fall I tried to get some involved in Hunter Safety. No success yet, but I will keep working on it.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    There is also the option of local 4-H projects. A lot of counties have a shooting club. Then there are appleseed events (looking forward to these myself). That alternative to Girlscouts is that Heritage club, don't know if they have shootin' or not.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    She asked her scout leader about it and her reply was that girls didn't need to learn to shoot.
    what a stupid answer. i was in scouts years ago, we didn't do any shooting, but we did do a little bit of archery. i was very much a tomboy back then, my mom was a scout leader, and i never would have wanted to participate if it was all girly stuff!

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    Yes, they should teach shooting right between their Christian (or Muslim, Buddhist, Jewish, Knights of the Jedi, etc) class and their pro-choice class.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My mother and sister were VERY active in scouts, and my mother still is. I can't see them offering firearms training. Maybe bows as a camp activity, at the most. As others have mentioned, the scouts (as a national organization) is way left of center. Local troops and camps might have other activities outside of the standard, though. All depends on how active the other parents are in your area (like most things!).

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    I wouldn't want my daughter taking a christian class, but wouldn't mind the pro-choice one.

Exactly. Most people would be perfectly fine with one or two of those classes, but the third would cause them to not participate in the organization. I'm not defending the scouts but parents are ultimately responsible for the beliefs that are instilled in their children, not the organizations that they sign their children up for. If learning to shoot is that important (I won't argue that it isn't) teach them on your own. If it is so important that any organization that does not support shooting is out, good luck with your life.

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    I might have made it more than a year in girl scouts if we could have learned ANYTHING interesting.

Top Bottom