• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Yesterday my father passed a very nice 8 Pointer hoping that it would makes its way past my stand. It did not. We later found out that a neighbor had shot the 8 pointer 5 minutes before he came past the stand but made a horrible shot (my dad swore up and down that it did not even look a bit injured, so he didn't even think to shoot for that reason.)

Fast forward to today. I set up along a ridge while my dad walked the creek to make sure the deer wasn't laying where he last saw him the day before. (since we later found out he had been shot) Within seconds I had this 8 pointer running directly up the trail at me full steam. I had my muzzleloader with 3x9x40 scope and when the deer got within 10 yards of me and noticed me he made a quick cut and ran past. (it was eventful let me tell you). I didn't shoot because I am very considerate when it comes to making an ethical shot. Now I keep thinking back on it wandering what would have happened had I shot it. So, INGO, what would you have done? Take a shot at a charging buck straight in the chest, or let him go for a more ethical shot? Did I make the right decision?

This sucks. There is nothing worse than wounding a deer due to a poor ethics decision, but there is nothing greater than harvesting a large buck with your dad. :xmad:

Help me feel better.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    Personally, I think you did the right thing. Especially, since you had only one shot (black powder). Had you shot, you may have only wounded him vs. a kill. The buck would have suffered and/or traveled a long way before dropping. Either way, would have been bad. JMO.

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Yesterday my father passed a very nice 8 Pointer hoping that it would makes its way past my stand. It did not. We later found out that a neighbor had shot the 8 pointer 5 minutes before he came past the stand but made a horrible shot (my dad swore up and down that it did not even look a bit injured, so he didn't even think to shoot for that reason.)

Fast forward to today. I set up along a ridge while my dad walked the creek to make sure the deer wasn't laying where he last saw him the day before. (since we later found out he had been shot) Within seconds I had this 8 pointer running directly up the trail at me full steam. I had my muzzleloader with 3x9x40 scope and when the deer got within 10 yards of me and noticed me he made a quick cut and ran past. (it was eventful let me tell you). I didn't shoot because I am very considerate when it comes to making an ethical shot. Now I keep thinking back on it wandering what would have happened had I shot it. So, INGO, what would you have done? Take a shot at a charging buck straight in the chest, or let him go for a more ethical shot? Did I make the right decision?

This sucks. There is nothing worse than wounding a deer due to a poor ethics decision, but there is nothing greater than harvesting a large buck with your dad. :xmad:

Help me feel better.

If you had any doubt what so ever when the shot presented itself you did the right thing. With a 3-9 scope a 10yd shot is not easy, and if you had made a bad shot with a muzzleloader its not like you would have gotten round 2 off.

Rep inbound. (and free rep to metal since I clicked on his post and repped him by accident)

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    When in doubt, there is no doubt. IMO, you did the right thing. I'm not taking an unethical shot. Bad shots happen, we are human, but knowingly taking a bad shot is different.

Good no kill there OP.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    If you had any doubt what so ever when the shot presented itself you did the right thing. With a 3-9 scope a 10yd shot is not easy, and if you had made a bad shot with a muzzleloader its not like you would have gotten round 2 off.

Rep inbound. (and free rep to metal since I clicked on his post and repped him by accident)

My dad hunts with a Wingmaster with iron sights (always has, always will). I even told him, had I been carrying his shotgun without a scope I could have gotten off a quick shot with follow up shots if needed. I guess this is one situation where having a scoped gun can become a disadvantage. The outcome sucks, but great lesson today, nonetheless. Had it been walking or at a slow gate would have been one thing, but it was running as fast as I've ever seen a deer run, directly at me and like metaldog said, I only had 1 shot.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    You made the right decision and I think it would have been a mistake to take the risky shot. There is nothing worse than tracking a blood trail for hours and never finding the deer, and never knowing if it laid down and died somewhere only to feed the coyotes. I think many of us have had that bad experience. I think it's a sign of an experienced hunter to pass on the risky shot. "One shot, one kill" is the way to go. If you can't drop it for certain, let it go.

It's early in the season. Between the rest of firearms season and the upcoming muzzleloader season, your chances of seeing an even nicer buck are high.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    My dad hunts with a Wingmaster with iron sights (always has, always will). I even told him, had I been carrying his shotgun without a scope I could have gotten off a quick shot with follow up shots if needed. I guess this is one situation where having a scoped gun can become a disadvantage. The outcome sucks, but great lesson today, nonetheless. Had it been walking or at a slow gate would have been one thing, but it was running as fast as I've ever seen a deer run, directly at me and like metaldog said, I only had 1 shot.

There are some scopes you would have been fine with, the 3-9 just isn't it. Most folks think optics selection is not important, but there is no 1 scope out there that is the best in every situation. That is why I always get as much info as possible, and play the odds. Even that wont get it right for every situation. When I ask folks the minimum range they will take a shot most of the time they know that's not important. As you learned today it is something to take into account during optics selection. The important thing is every man, and every piece of equipment has its limitations, and you knew yours and didn't take a chance at wounding a animal. I'm a million miles from a animal rights activist, but I do believe the only thing we owe the animals we pursue is a fast death.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I'm a million miles from a animal rights activist, but I do believe the only thing we owe the animals we pursue is a fast death.

I agree. If we kill, we owe a quick death. That is the deal I make when I go hunting and if something kills me, I hope it gives me a quick death too.

To the OP, you can always not pull the trigger that's a call you have to make in the heat of the moment and you made it. Don't regret the ones you let walk.

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    If there is doubt in your mind as to taking a shot or not on game, you are usually better off to pass the shot. Deer are fast and hard to hit at close range even with 3X. A straight on chest shot (firearm) can be a quick killer, but often there is not an exit wound and a sparse blood trail. You did the right thing. Good luck finding him again and getting a better shot.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You either have a shot or you don't. It's the difference between taking a shot you can make vs shooting AT an animal.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I'm still somewhat of a noobie deer hunting, having only really been at it for the last five years.

I have yet to take a mature buck, even though I have been in situations where I could have, but chose not to because of the type of shot I was presented with. I had a monster about 40 yards away from me last year, with only it's back half exposed behind a tree. I was on the ground with a muzzleloader and didn't take the shot because I couldn't see the vitals. He ended up moving through some brush and eventually figured something wasn't right before deciding it was time to vacate the premisis.

Ten days ago, I was faced with a similiar situation, a nice mature buck, 30 yards away, facing me... this time I had a bow in hand. From everything I've learned, that is not a shot you take with a bow. Again, as I waited for my chance, he and the smaller buck that was in front of him decided they didn't want to be in the area.

Would I have taken either shot if my family was depending on that food to live? Yup.

But as a hunter who's in it for the love of hunting AND the meat, I'm not going to take what I consider a bad shot just to put a set of antlers on the wall.

If the shot doesn't feel right... don't take it.

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    in my opinion it was the wrong weapon choice i prefer a pump when tracking injured deer. if the deer is already hit any shot to ease the pain is ethical in my book.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    thanks everyone. It makes me feel better about the decision, even though knew I made the right call the entire time, it is hard to pass up an opportunity on a buck you have been watching and trying to harvest the past few months. I have a couple trail cam pics and he is a very nice deer. I'll be out all weekend and all next week so i'm hoping that he isn't in the next county or someone hasn't already tagged him. Either way, it is better than a wounded buck that deserves more than unethical shot. Good luck to everyone on the rest of the season!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    A dead-on chest shot on a whitetail, with a proper caliber muzzle loader is a kill shot, especially at close range, and not unethical.

A moving deer is a different story altogether. No-one was there, but you and the deer.
    Your judgement call said no. No-one here is in a position to dispute your decision.

A snap shot under any circumstances is likely as not to be a crap shoot, with the possible exception of a seasoned wing-shooter.

pgfrmr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Fishers
    You absolutely did the right thing. At the end of the day you were a successful deer hunter. You got up, made a strategy, executed it, and produced a deer that didn't quite give you a ethical shot. Thanks for being a fellow hunter that pays attention and can hold his trigger when necessary.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    You made the right call.

100 years ago, hunting to keep your family alive, take the shot. Hunting in 2013 for sport, no.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    You made the right call. I, myself, wouldn't take a shot at a running deer, even if I had non-magnified optics or iron sights. Too many things can go wrong when you start having to figure how much to lead, etc. Out of all the deer I've killed, I don't recall a single one of them moving at the time of the shot. If they are moving, I try to stop them before attempting a shot, or pass.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Standing or moving, I never shoot at a deer hoping to hit it.
    If I don't know I'll kill it, I don't shoot.

I dunno, but for me I kinda see one's dove hunting performance as a bit of a gauge.

Top Bottom