• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    I'm going to the Chicago area on business... with my boss... in a company rented car, and my boss doesn't know I carry normally, and the company has a strict "no firearms" policy.

I know that I can have a firearm in the hotel at which we are staying, but my question is, should I even bother. I can't carry in IL while I'm there, and I will only be sleeping in the hotel, so I won't really be able to have the protection it offers me in IN (while in transit, at gas stations, at the ATM, etc.).

As far at the transport goes, I know to unload and secure the firearm in a compartment outside of the main area, aka the trunk, and separate the ammo. But say, we get pulled over in IL, and for whatever reason, we get searched. Legally, we are fine, but am I violating my company's firearm policy if I have it in a company rented vehicle?

Anyone have any experience with any of these issues?

I know I'm going to get people telling me to take it no matter what, always be armed, etc. but I'm looking for some honest advice as to what to do here. Thanks for the advice in advance.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Tough call...if you get found out, you'll surely be fired. If you have to defend yourself with it, you'll surely be fired (probably wouldn't care much in that case).

I'd be very leery of transporting into Chicago as, while it may be legal, I have heard (once from an IL LEO) that many Chitown cops don't take kindly to anyone other than themselves (even retired LEO from elsewhere) having weapons in their city.

I went recently, left it at home, even though I was in my personal vehicle.

If you decide to leave it at home, but opt for a knife to avoid being completely naked, know that Chicago has very strict limits on knives...I think 2.5 inches is the blade limit...good luck.

PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    I didn't know if the company car thing would be like the, "you can have it in your car at work" thing. Thanks guys. Looks like the Mrs. will have to take care of it while I'm away.

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    Drive as far as Gary and find a street individual and ask him to safekeep your gun until you come back in Indiana.

Personally, I would not risk the jail time as well as being fired - both are not family friendly.

3gunshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Williamsport
    If you are not sharing a room with your boss go for it. I carry a J frame in a ankle holster every time I go up there. But you are on company time and they are flipping the bill. It's up to you.

WillyUSMC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    I got pulled over once in IL heading to the Marion VA hospital. I told the IL State Trooper that I had firearms in the vehicle as a professional courtesy. He wanted to know where they were so I told him 1 in glove box and 1 in trunk. He told me not to move at all, and he came around grabbed the one out of the glove box and told me to pop the trunk. He grabbed the other out of the trunk and took them both back to his car. I sat there nervous for about 20 min before he approached my vehicle again. He asked me if I was an LEO to which I said yes I am a Military Policeman in the Marine Corps Reserves ( IRR after my active duty time was complete). He told me to step out of the vehcile, and he explained that in IL it is an aggravated class B felony to have firearms in reach of the driver with a round in the chamber. He explained that I could easily be locked up, but that he was cutting me a break by issuing a citation for "Transporting an uncased firearm". He explained what is IL compliant and I was on my way with $200 worth of tickets..... To answer OP question, I would not take a firearm if you value your job and do not want lots of trouble. My incident occurred outside of Carmi IL, and I've been told (by my uncle in Chicago) that the Cook County LEO's will not be as forgiving.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I got pulled over once in IL heading to the Marion VA hospital. I told the IL State Trooper that I had firearms in the vehicle as a professional courtesy. He wanted to know where they were so I told him 1 in glove box and 1 in trunk. He told me not to move at all, and he came around grabbed the one out of the glove box and told me to pop the trunk. He grabbed the other out of the trunk and took them both back to his car. I sat there nervous for about 20 min before he approached my vehicle again. He asked me if I was an LEO to which I said yes I am a Military Policeman in the Marine Corps Reserves ( IRR after my active duty time was complete). He told me to step out of the vehcile, and he explained that in IL it is an aggravated class B felony to have firearms in reach of the driver with a round in the chamber. He explained that I could easily be locked up, but that he was cutting me a break by issuing a citation for "Transporting an uncased firearm". He explained what is IL compliant and I was on my way with $200 worth of tickets..... To answer OP question, I would not take a firearm if you value your job and do not want lots of trouble. My incident occurred outside of Carmi IL, and I've been told (by my uncle in Chicago) that the Cook County LEO's will not be as forgiving.

Isn't it funny how much **** you gave me over St. Mary's and yet you actually broke state law in transporting LOADED firearms into Illinois?

Why on earth would you not research gun laws of a place you are going to? Just expecting that "professional courtesy" to be reciprocated? :laugh:

Grump01

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Madison County
    Don't believe you even want to transport unloaded, cased and in the trunk through Cook Co. Have heard of a dealer traveling from a show that got stopped and everything in his trailer taken in Cook Co. Don't know how that ever came out.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Don't believe you even want to transport unloaded, cased and in the trunk through Cook Co. Have heard of a dealer traveling from a show that got stopped and everything in his trailer taken in Cook Co. Don't know how that ever came out.

That would be the basis for a law suit! There is a federal transportation law as well as Illionois state laws concerning the transportation of firearms and unloaded and encased is suffiecient to satisfy illionois. unloaded, locked in case apart from the driver with ammo separate will satisfy federal law. I believe the federal law was included in the 1986 GOPA.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The Illinois supreme court recently ruled in favor of a driver who had his pistol in the arm rest of the car. They ruled that the arm rest, being covered is a legal container. I used to keep a copy of the ruling on my desk, but can't find it now. I found it online I believe under the Illinois supreme court rulings.

That said, many police even here in firearm friendly Indiana don't understand firearms can be owned and carried by honest average people that don't wear their uniform. Don't expect Illinois police to be nicer.

It is a very hard decision to make, and with your job on the line, make sure your cell phone is fully charged and 911 on speed dial. And leave your weapon home.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Here we go with the guns in Illinois fearmongering and baseless unsubstantiated hearsay again.
    Here is the LAW for transporting in Illinois for nonresidents:
    The firearm must be unloaded. The firearm must be encased. The firearm SHOULD be inaccessible (wouldn't trust my freedom to the courts despite of the recent IL Supreme Court ruling)

The ammunition does NOT need to be separate. Mags CAN be loaded, just not in the gun.

If OP is going to Chicago itself, he should leave the guns home. The rest of the metro area is good to go though, unless you plan to bring "assault weapons." (Cook County bans them)

You are legal to transport THROUGH Chicago, so long as you aren't staying there. They consider travel through to be presence in the city for less than 24 hours.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Transporting is one thing, just realize there is NO legal carry option in that state for ANYONE, even state residents. Just don't do it, or you may not be coming back. We'd hate that for you.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    The Illinois supreme court recently ruled in favor of a driver who had his pistol in the arm rest of the car. They ruled that the arm rest, being covered is a legal container. I used to keep a copy of the ruling on my desk, but can't find it now. I found it online I believe under the Illinois supreme court rulings.

That said, many police even here in firearm friendly Indiana don't understand firearms can be owned and carried by honest average people that don't wear their uniform. Don't expect Illinois police to be nicer.

It is a very hard decision to make, and with your job on the line, make sure your cell phone is fully charged and 911 on speed dial. And leave your weapon home.

The case is People vs Diggens. I live in Illinois and would not bring a hand gun to Chicago in a situation like the OP. Jim.

Top Bottom