• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alphabrace

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Should I buy a Mosin-Nagant? An M1A and Garand are out of my reach but the Mosin seems like a good buy.
    Thoughts?

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Back when they were in the $100 or less range I would have said yes. But now they are overpriced for what they are. Yes the M1 and M1A are a good deal more expensive, but they are 100 times the rifle a Mosin is.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    honestly I with the others Mosins (all versions) have really creeped up in price. If you have them around I would frequent a few shops and pawn shops. I have gotten some killer deals on things like mosins at pawn shops because they still consider them ~$80-100 rifles

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Short answer is Yes buy one.

Long answer where else can you get a rifle that will take down any game in North America for less than $300? Ammo can be had for less then $1 a round every day.

I would like to get a garand but like you they are out of my price range. You can still find them for $130-150 if you look around. Is the garand a better rifle? Yes but it's about 30-40 years newer design.

BtG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 11, 2013
    west central
    I say yes. While a majority of whats for sale online and from private individuals are overpriced there are still deals out there to be had. I have seen multiple rifles in the past year that sold at or near $100. Surplus ammo is still widely available, still in mass production and cheap (not as cheap as it used to be, but still cheap.) The round is comparable to a .308 and holds records all over the world for big game kills. If you decide to get one be picky. Look in pawn shops and LGS. Look for one with a hex receiver that is Pre-WW2 with a high wall receiver. Check the bore for pitting and if the barrel has been re-crowned. If you are willing to put a little more money into it get a Finnish Mosin. The Finn Mosins are really nice and accurate guns. I would say an M39, but those run around $400. Also, stock up on surplus ammo now while its still cheap.

If you couldn't tell I really love the Mosin Nagant. ;)

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Midwest gun exchange had 2 crates decent looking for 129 about a week ago. Almost pulled the trigger on another.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Buy one if you want to collect them or get a surplus rifle to just kinda d!ck around with. If youre looking for a rifle that will be for more things than just a piece to collect for historical significance and shoot occasionally, Id go with one of the cheaper modern rifles like a Savage Axis or Ruger American. I have 1 Mosin currently (Chinese 53) and have owned several in the past. I think they were all impulse buys. I havent found yet one that could be broken without an acetylene torch, but Ive never broken a modern Rem, Savage, Ruger, or Howa either. For what they are, sure, theyre cool. That being said, my Mosin is not my go to for anything.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Everything goes up in price. If you don't buy one today in 2 years it will cost $200 to buy one. Just get one. They are fun. And it will go up in value if you keep it clean.

-Jake-

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    NWI
    I've got all kinds of guns, and the most shot ones are my mosin nagants. BUY ONE DONT BUBBA IT.

tk71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    ECI
    I would buy one can still be bought for under 150. IMO cheap to buy and cheap to shoot.These rifles have a lot of recoil similar to a shotgun but still fun to shoot.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Buy one if you want to collect them or get a surplus rifle to just kinda d!ck around with. If youre looking for a rifle that will be for more things than just a piece to collect for historical significance and shoot occasionally, Id go with one of the cheaper modern rifles like a Savage Axis or Ruger American. I have 1 Mosin currently (Chinese 53) and have owned several in the past. I think they were all impulse buys. I havent found yet one that could be broken without an acetylene torch, but Ive never broken a modern Rem, Savage, Ruger, or Howa either. For what they are, sure, theyre cool. That being said, my Mosin is not my go to for anything.
    Not even for making HUGE fireballs?? :):

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I just sold mine at a gun show with 120 rounds for $100. I wish I would have known the price went up before selling so cheap. The reason I practically gave it away was because no one on INGO seemed interested enough in it as a (free) bonus in a trade. I guess they lost out too. Hah!

cmkaehr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    I would get one now while they are still fairly cheap. Closest you will get to a .308 for under 150$.

Top Bottom