• ...and so much more!
  • sbu sailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    South of Center...
    I'm looking for opinions from owners of shotgun "pistol grips."

If you have a grip on your SHOULDER FIRED shotgun, tell me why.

I've never fired a pistol gripped shotgun. A friend suggested a grip on the shotgun so that, "the AR, the shotgun, and the Sig all have the same 'feel' or 'angle' in the strong hand," for 3 gun competition.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I would like to comment that I don't own a shotgun with a pistol grip. And I never will... Just because if you only ask for opinions from people that have the shotgun grips you will be answers that vary greatly from... Don't get a shotgun with a pistol grip on it!

For a list of many reasons, ergonomics being a big one thats been said, if you ever shoot a lot of rounds from a shotgun with a pistol grip your hand and wrist won't feel so great. It's not the recoil pulse of a pistol or AR. Having a grip that is "the same" on a shotgun should not be a factor anyhow. It's a long gun. It's be different if you were talking about two pistols. Your stock what's important for you point of aim. Not your grip angle. So to me that alone negates the reason you stated... Sorry I am so opinionated, there are different strokes for different folks I know, but not for me haha.

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    If you're running an 870 or a Mossberg 500/590. Give this a look...

https://www.magpul.com/products/sga®-stock-–-remington®-870

Not exactly the grip angle you're talking about, but it's very ergonomic with a pistol-like grip integrated right into the buttstock. Also it has an adjustable cheek riser and stock length. I have it on my 870 and I love it!

GetImage.ashx

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Nothing wrong with consistency among platforms, an angle I hadn't really considered with a shotgun.

I ran one on my work 870 for years. It was easier to control the shotgun and keep it up in my shoulder when I had to drop my support hand to turn a door knob, open a fence gate, etc..

I have one on my turkey gun for the same reason. It's not uncommon to sit against a tree with the gun resting on one knee for extended periods of time. It's nice to be able to do this one handed without the fatigue that would set in with a traditional stock on the gun.

For a home defense shotgun I'm fine with a traditional stock and that is what my 870 SBS will have on it once I get my permission stamp back sometime in 2016.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I used to. Folding stock with pistol grip. It was real handy for tight stairwells and the like. The stock was real fast to lock our unlock and it just gave me more options. It's also easier to hold while opening doors and the like.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Agreed, quite a bit easier to handle one-handed while opening doors, etc. as noted by phylo and BBI. Carried (and still have) a Mossberg 500 with pistol grip and folding stock for years.

sbu sailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    South of Center...
    I would like to comment that I don't own a shotgun with a pistol grip. And I never will...

Thanks for your input, Bfish. The reason I asked for owners was to get more "pro grip" opinions/views rather than spark a debate. I do appreciate the info you shared. My friend (who made the suggestion) is stressing that "uniformity" in grip helps his game. I really don't see it. I mean, each of the three weapons has a different recoil, as you stated, different trigger, different distance to strong hand placement etc. Just trying to see his angle... pun intended.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    For a shotgun intended for combat use, in addition to what's already been said, shooting from the hip/retention is easier (and IMO more accurate) using a pistol grip

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I bought a Tac2 with a pistol grip and changed it out on the first day. I cannot get used to the setup, but that is after decades of skeet, trap and hunting.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    If you have a grip on your SHOULDER FIRED shotgun.
    I would love to help you but you said shotgun in the singular, I have shotguns.

Your friends advice works for him. In my youth when I ran track many people could not run with a relay baton in their weak hand. They just could not do it. Same thing in football. A PG will not make you a better shooter. It won't make you a lousy shot either, if you suck , it's your fault. You didn't say what gun you are using, there are a few minor pros and cons based on the gun. How long is the barrel? Any optics? Also, how tall are you?

That aside, PG's are nice for heavy guns. They are also nice for keeping the gun mounted while you reload. Running the gun with one hand. Phylodog and others stated that. If this is 100% gamer gun and you plan to flip the gun over a lot to reload, PG may slow you down. If you want to play/train how you run your guns at home or in the field, then it is a non issue.

If you will be shooting clays to practice and other fast moving targets with it, a PG is more of a liability. To me, the longer the gun, the less you need or benefit from a PG. Turkey guns are the perfect example of tac meets field multipurpose guns. PG's are nice for shooting from twisted, seated or prone positions where shoulder mount may be less then perfect.

Your shoulder is tougher then your thumb. If you are eating recoil in your hand with a PG, you are doing it wrong.

If you can't decide, run the Magpul. It probably has the best ergonomics of all the stocks. I am a Glock guy so I can love an ugly gun, but the Magpul is ugly. Of all the PG stocks I have owned or shot on 870's, I really like the Mesa Urbino. It mimics the Benelli Ergos which are great. On a Benelli, run the Benelli stocks. If you are not running an 870 or Benelli, why are you even alive? You are a loser unworthy of life itself. You see how the opinion thing kicks in hard on shotguns.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I swing both ways, just bought them that way. I did buy a Mossberg new with only a pistol grip then bought a wood shoulder stock for it. I still have yet to shoot it and it's not in the rotation. My preferred HD is a Mech-Tech CCU with a Glock 21 frame on it.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I don't like the pistol grip only, on a shotgun, but I always wanted a pistol grip rifle stock on one. I recently added a pistol grip rifle stock to my Mossberg 500, and didn't like the way it felt and handled, the original stock was easier to handle, and load....go figure.....

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom