• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I just got some 12 gauge snap caps to practice reloads.
    I know they are snap caps (with a spring in it) and not dummy rounds but I wanted to use them as dummy rounds.The thing is, I measured them and they are 2" long, and not 2.75" like regular shotgun shells. :dunno:

Are they that small because they are not meant to be used as dummy rounds?
    Can I still use them as dummy rounds?
    They have some weight to it because of the steel base even if it's not close to the weight of a live shell.
    Im not sure if that would be a problem to cycle through my shotgun or not.
    I know some shotgun will cycle both 2.75" and 3" shells, so maybe a 2" shell is not a problem, but im not really the shotgun expert so I want to ask you guys. :)

I dont have a picture of them but I found a picture of something that look a lot like the ones I have.Mine have a clear yellow plastic and the base of the shell is made of metal and not plastic like the ones on that picture.
    Not sure what brand they are, they are expensive stuff made in Italy.

tiptpic280-986.jpg

But why they have 3/4" missing is a mystery to me. :dunno:

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Remember that 2.75" shells is only the length after they've been fired. those dummy rounds are only a little bit shorter than an unfired 2.75" shell.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    basically what i said was, those rounds are only a fraction of an inch shorter than a "2.75 inch" shell because before those shells are fired, they are in fact shorter than 2.75". in which case i doubt cycling would be an issue, and if it is the gun may be somewhat picky because of the weight. snap caps are dummy rounds in a sense, just not always true weight/size. using them for reloads would be a personal preference for you due to the size/weight difference..

pretty much no one can tell you if your shotgun will cycle them except your shotgun..:twocents:

Last edited:

illmaniac123

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    East Indianapolis
    There are some red 12ga snap caps that I used to have. They were actually 2.75 inches I used those for a long time. I think that 2 inch rounds would work fine. I would just go for it.

Top Bottom