• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hokie4life

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2012
    Im looking at the Remington 870 Express, Mossberg 535, Mossberg 500 slugster, or the Winchester 1300 Ranger. Perfect gun would have a fully rifled barrel, smooth action, wood stock, an easy way to mount a scope, and a price tag of under $500. Im leaning towards the Winchester, but I'd like to hear what everyone thinks.

Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    870 hands down... Had several of them before the horrible boating accident during duck season when they all went over board... Or did I loose those jn the flood? May have been the wildfires that swept through or the locusts ate them... Anyway, I LOVE errrr LOVED each and every one I have, errrr HAD... ;-) Only other pump gun I would have would be a Winchester 1897 or an Ithica just to sah I had one. The venerable 870 is hard to beat...

UncleNorby

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Near South Bend, IN
    I know you are looking at pumps, but I'd save a few more pennies and get a Savage bolt 212 or 220.

I have a 20 yr old Mossberg 500, rifle sights, smoothbore. Never a hiccup. Shoots most rifled slugs well. If I had to take it to the woods I wouldn't feel handicapped. I shoot most deer at less than 75 yds, and with this gun it's just aim and shoot......dead deer. Cheap to shoot compared to sabot guns too. The 500 can be had with fully rifled barrel and cantilever scope mount, just as the 870, and for somewhat less money last I looked.

Pick a few up, fondle and decide. For what it's worth, I've heard some have had issues with the 870 express ejecting shells. I have not heard of this issue withthe 500.

wintram

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Keep leaning towards the Winchester. I have thousands of rounds thru all 3 of my 1300's and no problems (not thousands combined but each one has had well over a thousand rnds) there is some aftermarket support for the Winchester but not as much as an 870. Don't over look a SXP either got 1 this winter and it has not disappointed yet. If you shop around one can be had in your price range.

Top Bottom