• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdh11292

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Whiteland
    Since I'm having some trouble getting my new turkey barrel, I've been thinking. Does anyone know if you can have a rifled slug barrel threaded for a choke? Would the rifling effect the pattern. How would it effect the accuracy of a slug?

Any thoughts?

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    The shot would be spinning as it exited the barrel and the result pattern would be extremely spread at a very short range. In other words, rifled barrels are useless for shot. An added cylinder choke wouldn't affect accuracy of the slug most likely but as stated above it wouldn't help with the shot problem.

Last edited:

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    Also the shot from the turkey loads would most likely lead up the rifleing in the slug barrel which would affect your slug accuracy.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    The shot would be spinning as it exited the barrel and the result pattern would be extremely spread at a very short range. In other words, rifled barrels are useless for shot. An added cylinder choke wouldn't affect accuracy of the slug most likely but as stated above it wouldn't help with the shot problem.

Are you sure the shot would actually be spinning? I have been told more than once that you can shoot shot through a rifled barrel with the only concern being lead build up in the lands and grooves of the rifling. This has always made sense to me because an actual bullet or sabot fits very tight to the rifling which in turn causes the projectile to spin...with shot not having that pressure (A loose fit) up against the rifling it's hard to believe it would spin coming out of the barrel. Now I'm curious about this and it makes me want to get out my rifled deer gun (shotgun) and do a little pattern testing.:dunno:

UPDATE: I just checked my 20ga. rifled barrel with a choke gauge and it is Improved (wide open) which probably wouldn't give you the pattern density or range that you would want for turkey hunting. I'm going to assume that most rifled shotgun barrels are going to be this wide open on their choking (if there is even such a thing as a choke/choking on a rifled shotgun barrel).

Last edited:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Since I'm having some trouble getting my new turkey barrel, I've been thinking. Does anyone know if you can have a rifled slug barrel threaded for a choke? Would the rifling effect the pattern. How would it effect the accuracy of a slug?

Any thoughts?

With enough money you can have anything to want done.:dunno:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Are you sure the shot would actually be spinning? I have been told more than once that you can shoot shot through a rifled barrel with the only concern being lead build up in the lands and grooves of the rifling. This has always made sense to me because an actual bullet or sabot fits very tight to the rifling which in turn causes the projectile to spin...with shot not having that pressure (A loose fit) up against the rifling it's hard to believe it would spin coming out of the barrel. Now I'm curious about this and it makes me want to get out my rifled deer gun (shotgun) and do a little pattern testing.:dunno:

UPDATE: I just checked my 20ga. rifled barrel with a choke gauge and it is Improved (wide open) which probably wouldn't give you the pattern density or range that you would want for turkey hunting. I'm going to assume that most rifled shotgun barrels are going to be this wide open on their choking (if there is even such a thing as a choke/choking on a rifled shotgun barrel).

It makes perfect sense to me. I think you should have one made and test if with a full report here. You are truely a forward thinker on the project. It may even tighten up the pattern as they rifling induces spin on each of the projectile in the patter as individuals making them fly true, similar to rifled barrel of a muzzle loader shooting a patched round ball. It only amazes me no one has already thought of it.

Let us know how it works out.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    It makes perfect sense to me. I think you should have one made and test if with a full report here. You are truely a forward thinker on the project. It may even tighten up the pattern as they rifling induces spin on each of the projectile in the patter as individuals making them fly true, similar to rifled barrel of a muzzle loader shooting a patched round ball. It only amazes me no one has already thought of it.

Let us know how it works out.

The problem with comparing shot patterns between a rifled barrel and a smooth bore barrel is..... you would have to have 2 exact barrels, one rifled and one smooth bored with the barrel length, wall thickness, and choke the same for both barrels. The expense of having a barrel/barrels made would not be parcticle or justified just to find out if the shot actually spins in a rifled barrel. In my original post, I was just curious if shot actually spins due to the rifling. I still think the shot would just blow straight through the rifled barrel because for it to actually spin it would have to ride on the twist ( lands and grooves) of the rifling for a considerable barrel distance to get it to spin. There would be nothing holding the shot against the rifling with pressure to get it to spin like a sabot that holds a slug/bullet or a patch/ball combo for a muzzleloader. I really don't know...maybe someone with a physics background can enlighten me on this.

Last edited:

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    The forward velocity is going to compact the shot in the wad's shotcup to basically a solid mass. Almost all rifled barrel are slightly undersized in order to grip sabot slugs (which are what they are meant for) in order to impart spin to them. This means the rifling will impart spin to the shot mass and wad in the same matter. Centrifugal force when the mass exits the barrel will cause a rapid dispersion of the shot resulting in a large donut shaped pattern.

This can be use in reverse however, Hasting makes their Wadloack barrel which has straight rifling. This creates an absolute zero spin exit from the muzzle. The result is a much denser and even pattern. I use a straight rifled Hastings barrel on my 1100 and it tightens up the pattern by at least one choke, makes IM shoot like extra full.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    The forward velocity is going to compact the shot in the wad's shotcup to basically a solid mass. Almost all rifled barrel are slightly undersized in order to grip sabot slugs (which are what they are meant for) in order to impart spin to them. This means the rifling will impart spin to the shot mass and wad in the same matter. Centrifugal force when the mass exits the barrel will cause a rapid dispersion of the shot resulting in a large donut shaped pattern.

This can be use in reverse however, Hasting makes their Wadloack barrel which has straight rifling. This creates an absolute zero spin exit from the muzzle. The result is a much denser and even pattern. I use a straight rifled Hastings barrel on my 1100 and it tightens up the pattern by at least one choke, makes IM shoot like extra full.

Great Explanation! :yesway:

mdh11292

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Whiteland
    It was just a thought. I did try to shoot a #5 Turkey load through it. At 20 Yards I put 2 pellets on the paper. Even with a choke, I doubt the pattern would come in much.
    Thanks for all the imput.

redfireman1969

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    indpls
    most slug barrells with a choke tube are not rifled the tube is the rifleing at least this is the case on my 11-87 and all you have to do is put a turkey tube on it but iam no expert on this matter and if so doesnt mean it will hold a good patteren

asquinton

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    I don't think it would work for you. When using shot, flier pellets come from pellet deformation as the shot is forced down the forcing cone, down the cylinder and then through the choke cone. Any marks on the round shot will cause the pellet not to fly straight opening your pattern up and causing "fliers" that are not on target. The rifling will surely amplify this problem when using shot. I'd keep looking for a smooth bore barrel.

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    I don't know whats going on with Remington at this time but we arent getting any barrels at all right now. I have several different barrels on order and as of yet only received a 20 ga youth VR.
    If I can get any soon ill holler.
    As far as patterning the rifle barrel I know its been done before the results were never even remotely adequate.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I wish we could use slugs for turkeys...that'll teach them little bastages to hang up on me 70-80yrds out:dunno::D
    for what it would cost you to have a barrel threaded for chokes plus the cost of the choke tubes or a whole new barrel,you could easily buy something like a H&R or NEF 10 or 12ga turkey gun. I used a NEF 10ga for years and killed many birds with that old gun. I remember buying it new for $70..they can be had now for under $200.

smoking357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Mindin' My Own Business
    Hasting makes their Wadloack barrel which has straight rifling. This creates an absolute zero spin exit from the muzzle. The result is a much denser and even pattern. I use a straight rifled Hastings barrel on my 1100 and it tightens up the pattern by at least one choke, makes IM shoot like extra full.

I thought they stopped importing these from France.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I don't think the shot would be spinning, and if it was, it wouldn't matter. Further, the rifling wouldn't "lead up," it would "plastic up" from the wad.

the shot is contained in the wad...the rifling will make the wad spin which in turn will make the shot spin. once the wad and shot exits the barrel and separates both will still be spinning causing the shot to scatter almost instantly from the muzzle.
    Ive tried several types of shot from a rifled barrel and it is impossible to get any consistency,let alone a pattern dense enough to take down a turkey reliably.
    and you are correct..you will get very little if any lead fouling in the rifling..but you will get plastic fouling...though no more than if you where shooting the correct round from a rifled barrel which is a sabot slug.

Top Bottom