• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blazer1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    South Bend
    This spring will be my first time turkey hunting and I would like some info on what type of scatter gun to use.
    Option 1 I have a Mossberg 395kb bolt action 12 ga. with an adjustable choke full, mod, and imp. this shot gun has a bead front sight and notch rear.
    Option 2 winchester 1300 pump 12ga. with a mod. choke.

Option 3 savage semi auto 12 ga. with no choke.

Most of the people I know use semi auto guns. Would it be foolish of me to use the bolt action? I am kinda leaning toward that one because of the full choke setting and the sights. But there is no way for a fast 2nd shot if needed. I cant find any turkey chokes around here for the winchester. Would a mod. choke group tight enough for lets say a 30 yrd. shot?

Last edited:

Mysticwolf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I would use nothing but a full or extra full for turkey at 30 yards. but the only way to really tell is take the gun you want to use out to the range and pattern it. draw a 6-8 " circle and see how many pellets are inside it, if most of them are not, then you need a tighter pattern, try 5 or 6 shot turkey loads. Good luck. Also if you cant find a full choke tube, look here Carlson's Winchester Flush Mount Choke Tube 12 Gauge Full 700 Construction | eBay

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The tighter the better. Semi-auto, pump, bolt, break open doesn't much matter. You'll only shoot once if you do your part. No matter what you go with, get a good turkey load (I use #5 hevishot in 3") and put it on paper to see what it is doing at different ranges. That will be the determining factor on your max range.

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I'm going to tell you what the best turkey hunter I know told me a few years ago.

Shoot whatever shotgun you want with a FULL choke (he didn't mean a turkey choke). Leave those sissy sights (scope, red dot etc) at home. Go to (insert name of closest sporting goods store), buy the cheapest box of 2 ounce #5 shot they have. 2 3/4 or 3" doesn't matter. Leave the 3 1/2" shells on the shelf. Keep your shots under 50.

This hasn't failed me yet. I shoot 3" 2 oz #5 Kent's ($8/box) through a factory full beretta choke 28" extrema. It's a certified turkey death stick....

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    More shot (2 oz) may help fill in a more open pattern, but more shot= less speed.
    Reg full choke IMHO means 35 yards max ....maybe your turkey hunting bud thinks 35 is 50 ;)
    I wouldn't shoot past that (35) with 5's or a regular full choke.

American Rifleman did a great write up back around 2000 on turkey shells. Wish it was available online.
    Too many think the number of hits kills turkeys, as if there's some threshold number.

More aint always better, and maybe not needed with today's choketubes (that's what the article was trying to get people to realize).

Farther range? Hit 'em HARD. That means keeping pellet energy up, so lighter payloads, special higher velocity powders and bigger pellets (shed energy less) is where it's at.

Last edited:

blazer1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    South Bend
    Thanks guys for the info I picked up some remington nitro turkey 3" 5 shot 1 7/8oz 1210 fps and some hornady 3" 6 shot 1 1/2oz 1300fps. I am going to pattern them this afternoon hopefully and see how they do.

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Turkeys shouldn't have shotguns! They have wings, not arms. this may make it difficult for them handle it properly. Also, limited brain size may make it impossible for them to understand firearms safety.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom