• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    I hear this all the time around here and have had some discussions with people who feel differently. Are there actually any cases of people being shot with their own gun when an officer attempts to disarm them? I would like some evidence to back up my reasoning on not informing.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Last Lake County gun show, an officer fired the weapon he was checking into the table.

I think it was a Florida airport where TSA called an officer over to check a weapon out, and the officer discharged the weapon.

I know that didn't answer your question, but if some are waving the weapon, and some have NDs......

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Last Lake County gun show, an officer fired the weapon he was checking into the table.

I think it was a Florida airport where TSA called an officer over to check a weapon out, and the officer discharged the weapon.

I know that didn't answer your question, but if some are waving the weapon, and some have NDs......

:bs:

Unpossible. These people are trained to handle firearms and are far better than you.

This is way I don't inform - no chance to have some rookie cop coonfingering my sidearm in public.

cp009

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    NWI
    Firm believer that a firearm should stay holstered in any encounter. Honestly I don't know why some officers feel the need to disarm an individual within his/her rights. There is just too much liability when handling any firearm.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Getting shot? I don't recall any, just the negligent discharges. On top of the ones mentioned above, there was the shotgun that was being cleared ( was it IMPD? ) and it discharged into the floor.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Getting shot? I don't recall any, just the negligent discharges. On top of the ones mentioned above, there was the shotgun that was being cleared ( was it IMPD? ) and it discharged into the floor.

I bet that wasnt the only discharge that day! LOL, If I unexpectedly fired a shotgun unto the floor, I would probably be changing my shorts too!!

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Several years ago I was disarmed during 2 separate traffic stops. One time I allowed a sheriffs deputy to enter my vehicle and remove my weapon from my holster while I was swated. Another time I was instructed to remove my weapon from a shoulder rig, and pass it through the window to an ISP trooper.

I can tell you with certainty that neither of these situations will ever happen again. If an LEO wishes to disarm me, it will be outside my vehicle, while standing along the shoulder of the road, and the officer will remove the weapon from my holster.

Looking back, I can't believe how stupid I was on both occasions.

railbug

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Noblesville
    I HAD A HAMILTON COUNTY SHERIFF TAKE MY XD FROM MY GLOVE BOX. HE UNLOADED IT AND TOOK THE MAG AND THE LOOSE ROUND WITH HIM. HE DID NOT ASK ABOUT THE EXTRA MAGS I KEPT WITH ME.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I HAD A HAMILTON COUNTY SHERIFF TAKE MY XD FROM MY GLOVE BOX. HE UNLOADED IT AND TOOK THE MAG AND THE LOOSE ROUND WITH HIM. HE DID NOT ASK ABOUT THE EXTRA MAGS I KEPT WITH ME.

Did he give the ammo back, or did he just steal your personal property?

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Did he give the ammo back, or did he just steal your personal property?

Agreed, Scutter. The instant that squad pulled away with mag and ammo in, time to be on the cell phone (if available) and calling the local PD (whether it's the department of that Officer or not) and filing a report for theft of property, naming the LEO as the suspect.

I suppose you COULD file it as a robbery, but theft of property, in this instance, would probably get a more positive response, and 'prove' you're not 'over-reacting' like some 'right-wing pro-gun nut' (whatever THAT means).

Years ago, when CCW's were less prevalent, I checked on some folks with some sort of 'regularity'. Maybe noticed the guys gun when he was sitting in front of the convenience store or whatever. I (or 'we' since usually back then, we had 2 LEO's per squad) approached the individual, stated that I noticed he was carrying, and asked if he had a permit. Would tell him to just leave the gun where it is, while I checked the permit. Valid? "Thank you, Sir (or Ma'am). We just hafta check, you know. Have a nice day".

If someone else mentioned, we'd again approach, ask if he was carrying, and if so, ask to see his / her permit, and where they had the gun. "On your right hip? Fine, please don't remove it while I check your permit, thank you." Permit valid? No problem.

Never had the need, or felt the need to disarm someone legally carrying. What for? The gun is LESS likely to go off accidentally, or be an issue, right where it is. If it's NOT an immediate hazard / threat, leave it where it is.

Just for clarity, I HAVE disarmed suspects incident to arrest. But never while just checking a law-abiding citizen to validate their permit.

Last edited:

corronade

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    kokomo
    I wonder if asking to step outside the car would make the officer more on edge.
    Would it not be safer if the cop was not on edge even more?

corronade

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    kokomo
    I agree but if he asked me or you to give him the fire arm to check it with permit. I don't know telling people to ask to step out of their car would be a wise decision. It might add to a unnecessary tension to a delicate moment.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I agree but if he asked me or you to give him the fire arm to check it with permit. I don't know telling people to ask to step out of their car would be a wise decision. It might add to a unnecessary tension to a delicate moment.

You stay in the car.
    If the officer directs you to step out, then step out slowly, hands clear of gun. Shut door behind you.
    If the officer wishes to remove firearm, inform him that you are not resisting, but you do not consent to a search.
    Ask if you are being detained, and what the cause is.

Top Bottom