• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    That is correct. You can kill an animal that is causing destruction on your property but you can not harvest the animal.

Thanks for the info. I thought that's what the rule was, and there aren't very many anyway, maybe three or four, but you know what they say about rabbits right?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I'm not defending the whole cat with an arrow thing, but I recently shot a a cat with a 45ACP. It was a feral cat. They destroy the songbirds and game birds. This one got caught by one of my dogs and was broken in half. Finished it off with a bullet.

People who don't realize the damage that feral catsndonto our ecosystem are dramatically misinformed.

As for rabbits, hope you have your license/permit!

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Really? I was told by multiple people that you didn't need a permit for rabbits.

see DNR link posted above.

"If you want to trap or shoot the rabbits, you will need a permit from the DNR, or you will need to use those methods legal only during the open hunting season (firearms can only be used where legal). Live cage-traps (wire or wood) that are baited with dried apples or dry ear corn can be effective in capturing cottontail rabbits.

Encouraging the rabbit’s natural enemies such as hawks, owls, and foxes can also help control the rabbits
    "

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    Nothing is illegal till you get caught

A pest is a pest weather it flys,slithers or walks on four legs,dog-cat-bird-snakes.

I agree with you regarding pests, however if I'm going to do this I'd like to do it legally. Even though it's on my own property and it's away from the road and so forth, I don't want to get into any legal problems.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    When in doubt, contact a local Conservation Officer prior to dealing with the pest problem.

I've had to deal with raccoons, opossums, skunks, and other critters in the past. I have two CO's cell numbers in my cell phone and every time I have called them, explained the situation, and followed the advise given to me by them.

Don't just assume that you can shoot a game animal in Indiana just because it is eating your garden. That rabbit is no different than a deer eating on your garden. You wouldn't shoot the deer out of season would you? So why shoot the rabbit out of season.

Anyone who knows me, knows that I have no problem with killing animals, but please follow the rules. Either wait for legal seasons, or contact your local wild life authorities and handle it as required by the law.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    G5-Striker-Broadhead.jpg

these... do more damage to a cat than a .22 all day long. hands down.

available at your local walmart.. striker broadheads..

I have used those on deer with great results!

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    People shot with hunting arrows in accidents have said it felt like a sapling snapped back and hit them.

I did extensive research on piercing trauma (knives, arrows, bullets) for a paper in college. What I found in my research supports this.

Most folks who had no initial clue that they had been shot/stabbed/pierced reported minimal or no pain on impact and for some time thereafter.

In fact, I remember more than one shot with an arrow stating they thought a sapling/branch had hit them.

Top Bottom