• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • broabc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    I'm looking into getting a shot gun for dual use (home protection and hunting). What would you all advise?

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Depends on the type of hunting you plan on. For upland game and HD I would go with a Reminton 1100, this would also work well for clays and combat shooting.

For deer hunting and HD I would buy a NEF Tracker w/scope and a Remington 1100...lol.

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    I would seond the 870 or 500. I personally prefer the 870 but thats what I grew up with. either way there is'n t much in North America that you could'nt kill with the right combination of barrel and Ammo.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    buy a mossberg 500 for like 250, it's usually the combo barrels, then buy you a 18.5" barrel for home defense.

Just did exactly this myself. 28" field barrel (for clays), 24" rifled barrel (for slugs), and will likely get a short barrel for around the house. Reasonable cost, decent performance, and fun to shoot!

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I'm looking into getting a shot gun for dual use (home protection and hunting). What would you all advise?

I'd advise shooting a bunch and buying the one
    • you like
    • fits you best
    • can hit a pheasant-duck-dove with.
    Indiana gun club has many available to try at skeet/clays/etc, in fact, the State Trap shoot is going on right now, with thousands of shotguns, new and used, pumps, autos, doubles, available to handle and shoot.

If you want to meet sometime and give different models and actions, send me a PM. i'd be happy to take a few guns to the range and let you try a few.

Top Bottom