• ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    holy cow!

I would be inspecting / checking that barrel over with a fine tooth comb! that's a hell of a big difference in bullet diameter!!!!!

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Glad you're safe. Lesson learned.

No one's saying it, but some people here, myself included, are envying your group....even with the .308 flyer.

lol, this.
    I am also shocked that the bullet made it down the length of the barrel. Truly shocked. I thought that would be instant kaboom. Kudos to the *rifle* folks at Kimber.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Anybody reading this needs to thank caveman for his candor, and follow the numerous lessons that are taught by such a thing. Now about that...

The rifle is a Kimber. I was shocked as well that the bullet didn't get stuck. The bullet was a 150 grain Hornady SST I reloaded.

Point of fact: under rifle pressures, almost NEVER does a bullet "get stuck" in the bore of a bolt-action rifle. They blow the barrel, or vent pressure through your face via the action.

I am not going to lecture you about safety, as I'm sure you've come to that "Jesus" yourself, and because I've done a stupid once or twice as well.

What I will ask, however, is: What in the hell you were thinking when you thought it was a good idea to CONTINUE firing full pressure .270 after having sent that round of .308 through the bore?

You compounded 2 extreme errors together, and you are very lucky that you have no better story to tell than you do.

-Nate

Last edited:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    What I will ask, however, is: What in the hell you were thinking when you thought it was a good idea to CONTINUE firing full pressure .270 after having sent that round of .308 through the bore?

You compounded 2 extreme errors together, and you are very lucky that you have no better story to tell than you do.

-Nate

Whoa, you're right. I had to go back and re-read the OP. The other shots were AFTER the incident, that is definitely "pushing it" a bit too much in my book (at least until inspected/cleared/OK'ed by a very competent smith. My $.02 anyways.

Still glad that you're ok and that the rifle is also (seemingly) ok

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    Glad your OK, I wonder if the outcome would have been the same and the rifle remained intact if the bullet in question would have been an all copper Barnes of similar all copper or non-jacketed lead bullet.

As others have said, I personally WOULD NOT fire that rifle again until I had it inspected by a gunsmith equipped to for such inspections. If that is not a option for you, I would suggest sending the rifle back to Kimber with a explanation for your requesting a determination if the rifle is STILL safe to fire.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    So here's my take: With the amount of pressure in that bore, the bullet had to be traveling at least 4500 fps. Furthermore, since it swaged down to .277 from .308, all that diameter went to increase the length, thus giving the projectile a BC of something like .892.

What you just did is create the new rage in long range shooting. Probably gonna need a progressive twist to get the most out of this new technology, though.

Seriously, props to the folks at Kimber for building a fine rifle. I'd still get it checked out, though.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    As others have said, I personally WOULD NOT fire that rifle again until I had it inspected by a gunsmith equipped to for such inspections.

Hear, hear. Probably that means Magnetic Particle and/or X-Ray, along with more mundane measurements like the amount of thread stretch on the action/barrel, resultant changes to headspace, etc.

Honestly, I don't even have a recommendation for whom should check out that rifle. I just know it's not me.

-Nate

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    In as nice a way as possible I'm calling BS. A .270 case is same same 30-06, which is longer than a .308. You wouldn't be able to chamber it. Secondly, the only way a 30 caliber bullet could possible make it down a .27 bore would be if it was extremely soft lead. Again, how could you chamber a round?

ilcaveman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    elizabeth
    I took the gun apart and inspected everything. The bolt looked like it was still new, no wear at all. It has a threaded barrell and the nut came off without any trouble. I cleaned it and checked the bore and it looked fine. I put it in the lead sled and fired the first shot with a rope and all was good. I am going to send it to Kimber for an inspection. Thanks for the advice and and concerns.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I took a nephew shooting for his first time a couple years ago. I had a Glock 26 and a 27. I was so busy talking up safety I inadvertantly put the 26 mag (9mm) in the 27 (.40S&W.) He fired it and hit way off target. The second round didn't fire and I talked him through the hang fire drill. I then cleared the weapon and found my mistake. I found the case and it was blown out and split; a bad job of fire forming. I fired a full mag of 40 through the gun then let him shoot. There was no harm done. I told him, "Mom doesn't need to know about this, does she?"

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Opps! My brain is working backwards tonight. I apologize for the above post. I was reading chambering a .270 in a .308 rifle. But, holy crap! You are lucky you didn't blow up your barrel.[/QU

Some day I am going to meet up with you, hand you a twenty and ask for change. I wonder how many hundreds you will give me in return......

Not laughing at you, laughing with you. No. laughing at you. I'll bet you are as old as me. There is an extra rocker on my porch that is now assigned to you.....

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Know 2 different idiots (both have engineering degrees) that have done this, no harm to rifle, one was a browning other Remington, and no I don't shoot with these people and never will.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Opps! My brain is working backwards tonight. I apologize for the above post. I was reading chambering a .270 in a .308 rifle. But, holy crap! You are lucky you didn't blow up your barrel.[/QU

Some day I am going to meet up with you, hand you a twenty and ask for change. I wonder how many hundreds you will give me in return......

Not laughing at you, laughing with you. No. laughing at you. I'll bet you are as old as me. There is an extra rocker on my porch that is now assigned to you.....
    I'm blaming my condition on the gas chamber at Ft. Knox 46 years ago. I was normal until then. Well, somewhat normal.

Top Bottom